jpi too bright

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
the jpi700 and the fs450 are too bright even with auto night dimming.
is there a some way to hook the leds into a dimmer?

On the EDM-700, no, it's photocell only.

On the FS450, see page 9 in the pilot guide ( http://www.jpitech.com/manuals/05/PilotsGuideFS450.PDF ), which shows how to program brightness of display, a very weird programming method. "Hold a double piece of black electrical tape over the photo sensor on th eleft side of the display to set."

Huh?

I don't recall the JPI EDM700 I had in my Bonanza being too bright at night, perhaps yours needs service or maybe there's some light shining on the photocell. If you block all the light reaching the photocell, does the display get dark enough?

Lance, you have to understand, the rest of Dave's instruments are so dimly-lit, they have the braille options installed.

The inadequate response of the autodimming on my EDM-930 at night was driving me crazy until I realized that one of the glareshield floodlights shines directly into the ambient light sensing cell on the front of the 930. By using a business card as an awning over that cell, the problem went away. YMMV.

when I shut the lights all off, its still too bright. Maybe I'll just start doing a Corey Hart

The inadequate response of the autodimming on my EDM-930 at night was driving me crazy until I realized that one of the glareshield floodlights shines directly into the ambient light sensing cell on the front of the 930. By using a business card as an awning over that cell, the problem went away. YMMV.

Had the same problem with my Garmin 430. Resolved with a piece of paper torn off a flight plan, strategically placed over the light bulb..

Back