JPI EDM file converter?

xander75

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
xander75
hi folks, the edm900 (or any type really) are super handy to have. now the thing is I am running OSX and the EZtrends program is for windows only for post flight analysis.
I used the savvy aviation tool as well that understands the jpi format, but its options are limited (maybe just in the free version).

I am looking for a file converter that can extract the flights and details into a csv/json/something so I can plot it with self written tools.

I came across a java based converter on github but for the life of me I cant get that to work with various java exceptions etc.

JPI isnt very helpful stating that it is proprietary (yeah right!), they are not willing to share the file format etc. Kind of weird in a world of opensource etc, but ok.

There must be someone that knows how to interpret (and what it seems like decompress) engine data out of the .jpi file?

any ideas?!
cheers!
xander

I chased this very rodent down the hole a few years ago. I gave up. I ended up using savvy, which accepts the JPI format. But nobody at JPI or savvy was willing to help me deciper the JPI data format without using their tools. It's probably the main reason why I now have an EI monitor rather than JPI.

Buy a cheap PC?
ha htanks! :) anything besides that? :) I could fire up a virtual machine, but the hassle that that comes with, license etc, was looking for a csv so you can plot it however you like in excel.

I chased this very rodent down the hole a few years ago. I gave up. I ended up using savvy, which accepts the JPI format. But nobody at JPI or savvy was willing to help me deciper the JPI data format without using their tools. It's probably the main reason why I now have an EI monitor rather than JPI.
yeah it is kind of sad the non sharing piece... why does it need to be this complex. if we allow each other to build better sw there is always a chance of monetization like what savvy did with the pro/analysis portion. but the fact that it only has 2 graph panes and 2 metrics to display per pane is somewhat limiting.
as for jpi, I dont see what the specialty is here, or the intellectual property.

I found this one https://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/jpi/jpihackcpp.txt that looks promising but for a different model, worth the investigation...
xander

LOL good luck. Didn't help me a bit, and I do reverse engineering regularly in my day job.

I got the java program to run but it gets lots of checksum errors and most of the data is corrupted. It probably wasn’t designed for the 900, maybe older simpler 700/800s?
There is an older c program called jpihack, again does not work for 900.
And then edmtools on github that in theory does what you need ( create csv file) but I never used it.

Last edited:
If you build a better mousetrap...

Frustrated JPI user here too. Looks like a business opportunity out there for someone.

I got the java program to run but it gets lots of checksum errors and most of the data is corrupted. It probably wasn’t designed for the 900, maybe older simpler 700/800s?
yep

Aren’t you just uploading the JPI file if you use the free savvy website? So apple Linux etc doesn’t matter

I did it a year or two ago so my memory might be off. I do remember using the flight track info on flights not tracked in ForeFlight

Edit - JPI 830

yeah you can use that savvy thing and it works, but it only has to graph panes and therefore 4 total metrics to be displayed (only). the separation of EGT and CHT in the same graph is not easy to dissect (same colors) and i'd like more flexibility to test my LOP procedures so want to see more metrics in the same graph hence looking for a CSV format.

What is interesting is that the EZtrends windows sw apparently it is said has the ability to export to CSV. so if that is the case, why is there no API or something to do that conversion directly without windows/eztrends.

I guess I need to spend some time reverse engineering this and see what it shapes up to be. it can't be that hard :)
or maybe I just need to suck it up and get a windows VM on mac and run that windows stuff and do it that way.

am just a bit annoyed that for the $ spent on that EDM as it ain't cheap that the "support" is oh yeah sorry see you later sort of thing.
in my profession/line of business if you blow a customer off like that there is no faster way to start beefing up your resume.

if I make progress, I'll share here!
xander

Please do share. But the format is nonsensical, so you’ll need lots of good luck.

the separation of EGT and CHT in the same graph is not easy to dissect (same colors)

xander
Not sure I agree with this. It has been a while, but I believe all you have to do is use the button that allows you to show one parameter at a time. I forget what it is called; "isolate" or something.

edit: Also for the $99/year, you can get some excellent support that helps you analyze and diagnose the file.

I got it done... finally!

Back