JPEG viewer question

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Hi guys! I'm on my Mom's nine-year old clunky computer with Windows 98 and I'm trying to fix stuff for her. It's so s-l-o-w and messed up. Ackkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!

Somehow, the default for viewing jpeg's is messed up. How do you set the computer default in Windows 98 for which program to use to open up photos? It won't give me the choice of "open as" when I right-click on the icon of the photo.

Also, since last time I was here, she did something to her default in Netscape and the photos we all send her end up opening in Wordpad as letters and symbols. :dunno:

I tried downloading Firefox and Thunderbird into her computer and they won't even open up.

Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks! And Merry Christmas! Ho, Ho, Ho!!!!

open Windows Explorer (not IE). Find the jpeg you wish to open. dbl-click it and if it knows a pgm to use, it will open it. else it will open a dialog to select a program to use. If Office was installed, You will have MS Photo Editor. Photoshop may be there. as a last resort, it can be opened in Paint.

Another way might be to download a generic freeware viewer and allow it to set itself as the default viewer. The problem with that is it might also screw up your browser.
Using Windows Explorer, right click on the photo to open which should bring up a menu including "Open with...", select the app you want to use or "Choose program. Known apps that work with jpgs may show up in a list of programs. You can use netscape, firefox, or IE but they wouldnt be my first choice.

HI Diana,

Right click on any jpeg photo. Go to propertys. On the top right, right of the words "opens with" there is a "Change" button. Hit the change button & select the program you want to use for the jpegs. It will change all the jpegs to the newly selected program.

:)

If you need a new viewer, look for the freeware program Irfanview.

HI Diana,

Right click on any jpeg photo. Go to propertys. On the top right, right of the words "opens with" there is a "Change" button. Hit the change button & select the program you want to use for the jpegs. It will change all the jpegs to the newly selected program.

:)

Won't work in windows 98. I believe you need to Shift Right CLick or CTRL Right Click on the icon, then choose Open with. Its been a while.

But the "Open With" method is clearly what Diana is trying to do. Make sure you check the box that says "Always open these files with this program" or something similar.

Won't work in windows 98.
That's what I discovered...I guess I got spoiled with XP and forgot how to use 98.

I believe you need to Shift Right CLick or CTRL Right Click on the icon, then choose Open with. Its been a while.
But the "Open With" method is clearly what Diana is trying to do.
I'll call my Mom and try to talk her through that one.

Thanks all, for the suggestions!

Back