Joystick Recommendations for FSX?

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Apparently, my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick has died. It's not recognized by any computer I connect it to. (The light on the hub doesn't even come on when I plug it in.)

Any recommendations for a replacement? It'll be used mainly for FSX.

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever had a joystick completely bite the dust like this before. I opened it up and it looked fine. All the wires are intact, there's continuity in the cable, the internal connections are secure, and nothing looks (or smells burned). Odd.

The last time it was used was by my goddaughter during the summer, when she was playing FlightGear on one of my Linux boxes. I wonder if the USB voltage is off on that machine... I'll have to check it tomorrow.

-Rich

Saitek X52. Love mine. Very precise control

I always liked Saitek Cyborg 3D - its strong advantage was that it could have been configured for either left or right hand operation. I personally dislike combat-like joysticks that force you to control them from the right hand (I am very much right-handed). If this point is important to you perhaps such joysticks are still available.

I use CH Yoke and Pedals. The pedals suck. The yoke ain't bad.

I use CH yoke and throttle quadrant, and the Saitek pedals. That said, I'm really impressed with the new Saitek yoke and quadrant(s), and some other stuff they have. But my sim set up is all "perfect" for the CH gear so I haven't changed it yet. When I change from XP/FS9 to W7/FSX I'll probably replace my CH gear.

I still have an old gameport Thrustmaster setup. Joystick, Throttle quadrant, and pedals. Unfortunately the stuff is so old I have to boot to DOS to update the keymappings for all of the buttons.

On that note any of you guys have a Joystick card laying around gathering dust?

Apparently, my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick has died. It's not recognized by any computer I connect it to. (The light on the hub doesn't even come on when I plug it in.)

Any recommendations for a replacement? It'll be used mainly for FSX.

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever had a joystick completely bite the dust like this before. I opened it up and it looked fine. All the wires are intact, there's continuity in the cable, the internal connections are secure, and nothing looks (or smells burned). Odd.

The last time it was used was by my goddaughter during the summer, when she was playing FlightGear on one of my Linux boxes. I wonder if the USB voltage is off on that machine... I'll have to check it tomorrow.

-Rich
I think I have that one at home. Are you looking to replace what broke with the samething? If so I'll to see what mine is and can send it to you if you cover the cost of shipping.

I think I have that one at home. Are you looking to replace what broke with the samething? If so I'll to see what mine is and can send it to you if you cover the cost of shipping.

Thanks Scott, that's real nice of you.

It was my original intention to replace the sidewinder with the same joystick simply because I'm used to it. But I do have another stick that's not bad at all (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) that I can use for the time being.

Here's the story: My goddaughter Kimberly stayed with me over the summer, and she played FlightGear quite a bit. After she left, I decided to reformat the box she had been using. It's a dual-boot machine that I built mainly for my friends and relatives to use when they visit or stay over, and the Windows side had gotten pretty funky over the summer. But I got busy with other things and never got around to it. That also was the only machine that had any flight sim software installed.

I bought the Logitech stick a while ago because it was on sale really cheap, but I never took it out of the box until after the sidewinder died. My plan was to set up two machines with flight sims because Kimberly also enjoys flying the simulator. Again, however, I never quite got around to doing it.

But last night I was at Target and noticed they had FSX Gold, which I'd tried at the FBO a while ago and liked; so I decided to buy it and install it on the PC I'm using now. After installing FSX, I grabbed the joystick from the other machine and plugged it into this one, and that's when I realized there was a problem with it.

So the short story is that I have a joystick to use for the time being, but I'll eventually have to get another one; so I decided to ask around for advice and opinions first. But it's not a critical need. The Logitech stick is decent and will do for the time being.

Thanks again for your offer, though. It's very kind of you.

-Rich

I still have an old gameport Thrustmaster setup. Joystick, Throttle quadrant, and pedals. Unfortunately the stuff is so old I have to boot to DOS to update the keymappings for all of the buttons.

On that note any of you guys have a Joystick card laying around gathering dust?

I may have one laying around somewhere... I can check if you like.

-Rich

Thanks Scott, that's real nice of you.

It was my original intention to replace the sidewinder with the same joystick simply because I'm used to it. But I do have another stick that's not bad at all (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) that I can use for the time being.

Here's the story: My goddaughter Kimberly stayed with me over the summer, and she played FlightGear quite a bit. After she left, I decided to reformat the box she had been using. It's a dual-boot machine that I built mainly for my friends and relatives to use when they visit or stay over, and the Windows side had gotten pretty funky over the summer. But I got busy with other things and never got around to it. That also was the only machine that had any flight sim software installed.

I bought the Logitech stick a while ago because it was on sale really cheap, but I never took it out of the box until after the sidewinder died. My plan was to set up two machines with flight sims because Kimberly also enjoys flying the simulator. Again, however, I never quite got around to doing it.

But last night I was at Target and noticed they had FSX Gold, which I'd tried at the FBO a while ago and liked; so I decided to buy it and install it on the PC I'm using now. After installing FSX, I grabbed the joystick from the other machine and plugged it into this one, and that's when I realized there was a problem with it.

So the short story is that I have a joystick to use for the time being, but I'll eventually have to get another one; so I decided to ask around for advice and opinions first. But it's not a critical need. The Logitech stick is decent and will do for the time being.

Thanks again for your offer, though. It's very kind of you.

-Rich
It is the Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 and it is your if you want it. Just PM me your address and I'll send it out tomorrow.

Okay, will do. I think Kimberly especially will get a kick out of feeling the bumps. :eek:

Let me know what the shipping costs are.

Thanks again,

-Rich

Back