Join a flying club for training (KOQN) or use traditional flight school (N57)??

BrandywineValley

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BrandywineValley
I've been interested in learning to fly since I was a kid and am finally ready. The issue that I am debating is joining a flying club that is about 30 minutes away (KOQN) or going with the local flight school at N57. The plus for the local school is that I live 6 minutes away. The problem is that I would paying a significant amount more for the rental. If I join the flying club they only have one CFI and he said he is booked for the next 6 months or so.

I'd also be interested in finding a fractional ownership plane that I could train with at N57 but have scoured the internet and found nothing. Is it something that the airport manager may know if someone is looking?

Any advice is appreciated!

I've been interested in learning to fly since I was a kid and am finally ready. The issue that I am debating is joining a flying club that is about 30 minutes away (KOQN) or going with the local flight school at N57. The plus for the local school is that I live 6 minutes away. The problem is that I would paying a significant amount more for the rental. If I join the flying club they only have one CFI and he said he is booked for the next 6 months or so.

I'd also be interested in finding a fractional ownership plane that I could train with at N57 but have scoured the internet and found nothing. Is it something that the airport manager may know if someone is looking?

Any advice is appreciated!

Not sure you'd save any money paying club dues for access to a plane when the only CFI is not available. Can you bring in another CFI? If not, I'd go with the local flight school. No good reason to put it off; start your training now and you could be taking a checkride by Christmas.

Not sure you'd save any money paying club dues for access to a plane when the only CFI is not available. Can you bring in another CFI? If not, I'd go with the local flight school. No good reason to put it off; start your training now and you could be taking a checkride by Christmas.

I can bring in another CFI as long as they get checked out in the plane. When I searched for an independent CFI in the area I wasn't able to turn up anything.

The reason I'm so torn is that the flying club works out to be a significant amount less than the rental through the local flight school once I hit 15 hours.

I can bring in another CFI as long as they get checked out in the plane. When I searched for an independent CFI in the area I wasn't able to turn up anything.

The reason I'm so torn is that the flying club works out to be a significant amount less than the rental through the local flight school once I hit 15 hours.

Talk to folks at the airports, ask not only local pilots but the mechanics as well, I'd betcha you'll find a good freelance guy.

If the above works, join the club, get some hours under your belt Ina few diffrent types of planes before you even think about buying.

Talk to folks at the airports, ask not only local pilots but the mechanics as well, I'd betcha you'll find a good freelance guy.

If the above works, join the club, get some hours under your belt Ina few diffrent types of planes before you even think about buying.

I think that is what is I'm going to do vs. going through the closer airport.

I think that is what is I'm going to do vs. going through the closer airport.

PM with your contact information. I'm based at N57 and also fly into Brandywine a bit and have some familiarity with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did both... Started with a conventional FBO, finishing after joining a flying club. The CFI charge, as well as the plane rental is cheaper with the flying club. ($155/hobbs hr, wet and $50/hr CFI at the FBO as opposed to $125/tach hr, wet, and $40/hr CFI) I was flying an Alaris 2 seater with the FBO, and am now flying a 172SP. Monthly dues are $45 a month, initiation was $795. I have access to 2 Cessna 172's and a Piper. We have only 50 flying members so airplane access is excellent.

This club has 8 CFI members, and the best part is hanging out with like minded aviation nerds who I can fly with after I get my ticket. Nice bunch of guys, and gals who love flying.

A club is almost always going to be much cheaper.

And even more so when you consider clubs charge tach/hr. So all that pattern work you do in PPL training is only like 60% on the tach vs. the actual time in the air.

What is the name of the flying club at OQN? Just curious... I'm based at wings. I got my license with a flying club in florida and it worked out great. The instructors in my club enjoyed what they did and were not in a rush to the next job or an airline.

So like Mike I'm based at Wings, not to far from you. Feel free to PM me with your contact info and perhaps I can give you a bit more detailed info. First let me share with you how I got my private cert.

Wings Airport (KLOM) is just under 2 miles from my house. Logical place to learn right? One would think. Unfortunately I did not find the FBO and flight school operating at Wings at that time ( not the current school) very interested in me or affordable.

I ended up traveling to KPNE which was a 35 to 45 minute drive but even with tolls I saved a significant amount of money which was important. The difference with your situation is that there were CFIs that were available. If you can bring a CFI into teach you in the club planes I can give you some recommendations of fantastic independent CFIs.

What is the name of the flying club at OQN? Just curious... I'm based at wings. I got my license with a flying club in florida and it worked out great. The instructors in my club enjoyed what they did and were not in a rush to the next job or an airline.

Brandywine Flyers is the name of the club.

Henry

Back