Jinx?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I went up yesterday in the SR20 for some fun flying and landings. I have a witness sworn to back me up when I tell you that I did four near-perfect landings in a row.

So what's the karmic retribution going to be like?

I went up yesterday in the SR20 for some fun flying and landings. I have a witness sworn to back me up when I tell you that I did four near-perfect landings in a row.

Well, to start with... how does anyone know this "witness" was actually there? or is reliable?

What's the definition of "near-perfect landing"?

Well, to start with... how does anyone know this "witness" was actually there? or is reliable?

What's the definition of "near-perfect landing"?

Yep! To the first question, I'd say, "you'll have to trust me." (No one will, I know!)

To the second, my definition is "just short of the landings you will make in heaven."

:confused: Good landings are Zen, Zen is already balanced therefor there need be no karmic retribution. That said, considering you created this thread boastfully, you're going to bust a D string during your next major performance.:D

:confused: Good landings are Zen, Zen is already balanced therefor there need be no karmic retribution. That said, considering you created this thread boastfully, you're going to bust a D string during your next major performance.:D

LOL, I should have thought of that!

Yep! To the first question, I'd say, "you'll have to trust me." (No one will, I know!)

To the second, my definition is "just short of the landings you will make in heaven."

I like you, Ben, and I'm sure one day you'll be there, but let's try not to hasten the day when you DO make perfect landings, OK? :aureola:

I like you, Ben, and I'm sure one day you'll be there, but let's try not to hasten the day when you DO make perfect landings, OK? :aureola:

Another very good point!

There came the day when I made that long assed flight from Long Beach to St Louis (13hrs in the air, 3 legs) in an Arrow, PP ticket still wet, no NAV radios since the Grand Canyon and was just too tired to fight with the plane to try to make a perfect landing. I just set my trim and power and kept her heading for the runway gradually rolling in a bit more trim and slowing on the way down. As I crossed the threshold I pulled back to the stall light flickered and eased out the power and waited to land; next thing I knew the stall light went out, slickest landing I had made in my now 54hrs.

That was when I realized, the plane not only know how to take off and fly by itself, it knows how to land itself as well, I just hadn't been communicating correctly with it.

Last edited:
There came the day when I made that long assed flight from Long Beach to St Louis (13hrs in the air, 3 legs) in an Arrow, PP ticket still wet, no NAV radios since the Grand Canyon and was just too tired to fight with the plane to try to make a perfect landing. I just set my trim and power and kept her heading for the runway gradually rolling in a bit more trim and slowing on the way down. As I crossed the threshold I pulled back to the stall light flickered and eased out the power and waited to land; next thing I knew the stall light went out, slickest landing I had made in my now 54hrs.

That was when I realized, the plane not only know how to take off and fly by itself, it knows how to land itself as well, I just hadn't been communicating correctly with it.

What a wonderful description! This is what I talk about with my students regarding mastery. A quick and really interesting read regarding this one-ness with your skill is Zen and the Art of Archery.

Back