Jim Bean Bourbon fire

I've been there. I had an eerie feeling about the place until someone pointed out that the facility was the setting for the Czech military base in the movie Stripes.

Last year they had a storage barn collapse; thousands of barrels trashed.
Beam with an 'm'.

I’m generally an Islay-only whisky drinker, but had recently discovered the very inexpensive delights of Jim Beam Black whiskey sours. Looks like a major price hike is on the horizon...

As much as I hate ANY distillery to burn, Jim Beam is a mixer at best. Now if the Buffalo Trace distillery ever burned (Pappy van Winkle)...I'd cry for sure.

while I don't drink much anymore, I prefer real shine to most store bought stuff

Not my favorite, but it is still fermented and distilled by professionals who's work is closer to art than science. Quite the loss. Then again, I imagine they're insured.

Last year they had a storage barn collapse; thousands of barrels trashed.
Beam with an 'm'.
I don't think Beam had a rickhouse collapse. There were two of late, one at O.Z. Tyler and one at Bartons. While the buildings were complete loss, barrels are pretty stout and most of them were recovered. They also had a mash tun overturn sending a lot more gallons of proto-booze down the drain.

Not my favorite, but it is still fermented and distilled by professionals who's work is closer to art than science. Quite the loss. Then again, I imagine they're insured.
When I was at one of the distilleries (I think it was Heaven Hill), they had a Beam family tree on the wall. Nearly everybody employed as a master distiller is a Beam relative. There's got to be some genetic aspect to it.

Just heard about this on the ride home from running some errands. Such sadness. Beam is our go-to regular...not so good that you feel bad if you forget to savor and remark on every sip, but more than good enough to be enjoyable when you'd feel guilty not giving, say, Michter's or Pappy your full attention.

When I was at one of the distilleries (I think it was Heaven Hill), they had a Beam family tree on the wall. Nearly everybody employed as a master distiller is a Beam relative. There's got to be some genetic aspect to it.

Daddy always said to keep it in the family...

45,000 barrels, ~200 5ths to the barrel, ~$20/5th, that's some big money going up in smoke...

As much as I hate ANY distillery to burn, Jim Beam is a mixer at best. Now if the Buffalo Trace distillery ever burned (Pappy van Winkle)...I'd cry for sure.
Right. Like anyone drinks alcoholic beverages for the taste!

Right. Like anyone drinks alcoholic beverages for the taste!
I do. If people didn't drink for the taste, why in the world do so many different, and some extremely expensive, single barrel, vintage varieties exist? Forget about wine or beer tastings.....the verbage and poetry lent to describing the nuance of flavors is almost embarassing..and a lot of fun. I hate to be "drunk" and haven't been in years, but I love good beer, wine, and distilled beverages. If it was just for the buzz, we'd have one drink called "alcohol."

Booze is arguably why we went from hunter gatherers to agrarian... beer making vessels have been found that predate the oldest bread making tools found.

If you like Beam Black,, try Crown Royal Black..

Smooth.

45,000 barrels, ~200 5ths to the barrel, ~$20/5th, that's some big money going up in smoke...
Yes. And No. This was very “young” bourbon so the actual value was not very high. Kinda like comparing a pile of sheet aluminum and 4130 tubes to a finished aircraft. And remember that up to 1/4 of the barrel evaporates during that time when making your estimates on volume.

Since it was young and had years more time until it was finished, the company said it will have no impact on supply. This was only 1% of their barrels. Meaning that they have 99 more warehouses of similar size, crazy.

This was only 1% of their barrels. Meaning that they have 99 more warehouses of similar size, crazy.
I think the article said they have 125 more in Kentucky. I wonder if there are more in other states.

I do. And for pretty much no other reason, to be honest.
So if they came out with a non-alcoholic whiskey or other spirits, or wine or beer, you'd drink it? They've all been tried, and failed.

So if they came out with a non-alcoholic whiskey or other spirits, or wine or beer, you'd drink it? They've all been tried, and failed.
What rock have you been hiding under? Nonalchoholic beers have been around for a long time and are available at a fine grocer near you.

They failed because they taste awful. Same with NA beers, although there are some that are ALMOST palatable. The alcohol is a key component in conveying the flavors and aromas; that's why virtually every "extract" made for cooking is an alcohol base. If someone can figure out how to make non-alcoholic Quarter Cask Laphroig, you can bet I'd drink it... a LOT of it. MUCH more than I drink Laphroig.

Back