Jeppesen vs Naco charts

I have used Lido charts, and have found them inferior to just about everything out there. Definitely not a user friendly system.
I'm curious, were you using paper or the electronic version of the Lido charts? Lido really excells in the electronic version. I agree the paper was a little cumbersome, but IMO, once you learned their charting symbology, they were heads and shoulders above any Jepp product.

One U.S. carrier went from Jepp to Lido. After a couple of years they went back to Jepps.

Folks in the corporate world that fly the long-haul airplanes stick with Jeppesen, because they chart every IFP in the world. You can't say that for Lido.
That was us (FedEx). And although not scientific, my informal poll of guys I fly with, the majority of the 4,000+ guys here wish we would go back to using Lido. When we switched from Jepps to Lido, there was the typical gnashing of teeth, since nobody likes change. There was a learning curve, to be sure, and for several months, we flew with Jepp and Lidos while we learned the new product. There were many a safety report written on the Lido product during that time because of major differences between the two products (holding patterns charted with different directions of turns, different altitudes listed for the same route segments, etc.) What we found when our safety guys looked at the host nation IAPs, was that the Lido product was actually correct, and Jepp had been charting that stuff incorrectly. We just trusted that Jepp was right all those years.

We definitely didn't switch back to Jepp because it was an inferior product at all. We switched back (rumor has it) because we bought 777s with Class III EFBs. These class III EFBs are in a Boeing aircraft, and Boeing owns Jepp, and Jepp's the only product that the 777 EFBs will run... so no more Lido.

I could go on and on about why we think Lido is better, but it's just an opinion. But from someone who used Lido exclusively for years flying all around the world and now has to use Jepp, trust me... Lido is a hands-down better product (IMO).

Here's a thread back from 2006 from another webboard that chronicles our transition from Jepps to Lido. Everyone starts out running around hair-on-fire-the-sky-is-falling, by the end as people start to use the Lido EFB (the paper version was pretty bad), they started to see the light. At the end, we were all tee'd off (except for a few dinosaurs) when we had to switch back to the 'inferior' Jepp product.
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/6154-fdx-lido-not-lido.html

I'm curious, were you using paper or the electronic version of the Lido charts? Lido really excells in the electronic version. I agree the paper was a little cumbersome, but IMO, once you learned their charting symbology, they were heads and shoulders above any Jepp product.

I used both, and my personal opinion of Lido is it's a ****ty system.

I've looked at Jepp charts and haven't found anything that makes them worth the cost. The "newer" (I think they've been like this since the mid-'90s IIRC) style AeroNav charts with the briefing strip are quite functional for me. I use them on FF, trained on them, and they're fine.

The only way I'd use Jepp is if I were a pro pilot and my company paid for them for work and I wanted consistency in my own personal flying. Other than that I see nothing that makes them worth the sky-high price vs the alternative.

I used Jepps forever. When Foreflight came out, it became a no brainer to switch, although I do think the Jepps are better.

I certainly don't miss updating the books every cycle, though...That was a real PIA.

I used Jepps forever. When Foreflight came out, it became a no brainer to switch, although I do think the Jepps are better.

I certainly don't miss updating the books every cycle, though...That was a real PIA.

Most folks I work with have long since switched to electronic Jepp terminal charts. They do, however, still have to carry Jeppesen paper en route charts.

Some of the high-end business jets have the Jepp electronic terminal charts as a display toggle on their MFD. Others have a separate aircraft display to the side for the e-charts.

I have JeppView on my PC. With my fast broadband an update every two weeks is quick and occurs in the background as I do something else. The en route charts still come by mail.

Jepps for the iPad (Jepp Mobile FD) are $299 now, clearly as a response to the success of Foreflight. Personally i use Foreflight for planning -at which it excels, and Jepps enroute.
Foreflight are wonderful to deal with, Jepp notsomuch.
The delta between AeroNav/NACO & Jepp is much smaller than in the past however, but Jepp data and presentation is superior.
~neilki

Back