Jail time for plane theft, joyride.

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
From the NY Times:

WHITE PLAINS: PLEA DEAL IN PLANE JOYRIDE A 21-year-old student pilot from Connecticut who took a Cessna and went on a drunken joy ride with two friends in June pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment and flying an aircraft while intoxicated, the Westchester County district attorney, Janet DiFiore, said yesterday. The pilot, Philippe Patricio, stole the plane from a Connecticut airport {DXR - Skip} on June 22 and flew above Westchester and Fairfield counties for nearly three hours. As part of a plea agreement, Mr. Patricio faces up to a year in jail, his lawyer said. {He landed on a taxiway and was arrested at HPN - Skip}

= = = = = = = = = = =

That is the civil penalty. I wonder what the FAA did to him?

-Skip

I note that they call him a "pilot"; is he, in fact, truly a pilot (as opposed to a person who flew an airplane and lived to tell about it)?

Skip Miller said:
I wonder what the FAA did to him?
Since FAA enforcement actions aren't normally published, it's hard to say for sure. If he held a Student Pilot certificate, it was almost certainly revoked for violating a whole host of rules, including 91.17(a). If he didn't, a civil penalty (that's cash dollars) is their most likely response. Further, with this conviction on his record, he faces considerable difficulty in getting a new certificate if he had his revoked, or an initial issuance if he didn't have one. See 14 CFR 67.307(b)(3) and 61.15(b).

The term "Faces upto a year in jail" means nothing. Most crimes carry some jail sentence even if its only 30 days, In PA every first time drunk driver (who tested .10) faces upto one year in jail. Most places on conviction they won't see more than 2 days.

Skip Miller said:
From the NY Times:

WHITE PLAINS: PLEA DEAL IN PLANE JOYRIDE A 21-year-old student pilot from Connecticut who took a Cessna and went on a drunken joy ride with two friends in June pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment and flying an aircraft while intoxicated, the Westchester County district attorney, Janet DiFiore, said yesterday. The pilot, Philippe Patricio, stole the plane from a Connecticut airport {DXR - Skip} on June 22 and flew above Westchester and Fairfield counties for nearly three hours. As part of a plea agreement, Mr. Patricio faces up to a year in jail, his lawyer said. {He landed on a taxiway and was arrested at HPN - Skip}

= = = = = = = = = = =

That is the civil penalty. I wonder what the FAA did to him?

-Skip

Actually, that's a criminal penalty. Civil penalty would be what the FAA is going to do to him.

Picking nits...

wsuffa said:
Actually, that's a criminal penalty. Civil penalty would be what the FAA is going to do to him.

Picking nits...

I sit corrected. :redface:

-Skip

Thanks for that update....I actually fly out of the flight school where the 172 was stolen.

Ironically, I was the first flight (the next day) right after the theft. I almost made TV as well, but they must have cut out my bad 152 landing <g> :redface:

Not only did he land on the taxiway, but I believe that particular taxiway was also closed. ...Skip, do you know which one he landed on? I think Lima, Alpha, and Kilo would be the only taxiways straight and long enough for him to land on.

A year doesn't seem like enough....but what I moron.

Jason

HPNFlyGirl said:
Jason,

Did you know the guy who stole the plane?

Negative. Don't know him. Rumor at the airport was that he had about 10 hours or less total at Executive (Danbury Flight School), another school/FBO down the field. It hasn't been confimed yet...

Jason

If your gonna pull off a bonehead move like that, at least take the citation. sheesh.

What did happen to the guy who took the citation for a ride with friends in the SE last year?

Back