JAG TV show dumb scene

Flyboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Kinney
Was watching an old JAG episode on TV the other day for lack of anything better to do. They showed a flash back of an Some A-6's in combat being shot at (looked like film clips from "Flight of the intruder") and of course one of them gets hit.

As soon as it "started to crash" what do they add to the sound mix but the old tried and true sound of the radial engine plane in a dive you hear on just about evry plane going down scene. Even piper cubs.

But this is a jet.

Sheesh.

Even my son started laughing!

Flyboy said:
Was watching an old JAG episode on TV the other day for lack of anything better to do. They showed a flash back of an Some A-6's in combat being shot at (looked like film clips from "Flight of the intruder") and of course one of them gets hit.

As soon as it "started to crash" what do they add to the sound mix but the old tried and true sound of the radial engine plane in a dive you hear on just about evry plane going down scene. Even piper cubs.

But this is a jet.

Sheesh.

Even my son started laughing!

The same technique was hysterical in "Airplane"... but not the same on JAG, I guess.

The really scary part is how many millions of people swallow that without a clue !

Right up there with car chase scenes: tires squeeling on dirt roads.
I also love it when helicopters take off and you hear the engines winding up (on a turbine--they're already airborne).
The big wind up punches in fight scenes.

Guess what level of viewer most of this stuff is geared to.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
I also love it when helicopters take off and you hear the engines winding up (on a turbine--they're already airborne).
The big wind up punches in fight scenes.

Guess what level of viewer most of this stuff is geared to.

Dave

A long time ago I worked in TV for a while. A guy I worked with said one of his favorite jobs was being a Foley operator. This is the guy who inserts those sounds in postproduction. We all know that doors on a TV set are flimsy and don't make that solid sound like a normal door closing. It was interesting listening to him talk about how they devised sounds for fictitious things.

Carol said:
A long time ago I worked in TV for a while. A guy I worked with said one of his favorite jobs was being a Foley operator. This is the guy who inserts those sounds in postproduction. We all know that doors on a TV set are flimsy and don't make that solid sound like a normal door closing. It was interesting listening to him talk about how they devised sounds for fictitious things.

Ficticious audio for video like flapping gooney birds' crash landings in a rookery sounding like airplane crashes is often funny, but in a drama, or whatever it should be called, old radials screaming pistons substituted for jet engines in the scene is both scary ...and just sad in its reality.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Ficticious audio for video like flapping gooney birds' crash landings in a rookery sounding like airplane crashes is often funny, but in a drama, or whatever it should be called, old radials screaming pistons substituted for jet engines in the scene is both scary ...and just sad in its reality.

I certainly agree with you. What I meant was things like metal robots liquifying and walking through solid objects. I think they made that sound by recording dog food exiting a can in a solid form and monkeying with the sound a little. That's what I meant by fictitious things. Things that you have to dream up what it might sound like. :eek:

Dave Krall CFII said:
Ficticious audio for video

And, lets not forget the sound of machine gun fire when you see straffing WWII planes on the History/Military channel. Do you think there were microphones collocated in the wings of those aircraft? Or the sound of bombs when dropped frrom those B-17s? How about the sound of explosions in outerspace in those extra-terrestrial movies - no air - no sound.

Jim

I've often wondered with all the dog fighting going on in the air over cities in WWII if anybody on the ground got hit with an ejected shell casing.

That's gotta hurt.

Flyboy said:
I've often wondered with all the dog fighting going on in the air over cities in WWII if anybody on the ground got hit with an ejected shell casing.

That's gotta hurt.

Probably. Those .303 casings the Brits used weren't much, but our .50 cal casings are a lot of brass. Now, imagine in the Pacific where some Corsairs had 20 mm cannon in the wings...

Dave Siciliano said:

...and EVERY helicopter makes the "chirp! chirp! chirp!" sound when it powers down on landing.

The only helicopters that ever made that sound were the original Bell-47s as in "Whirly Birds" and "M*A*S*H." The chirps are the sound of the drive belts slipping.

Jag has been cancelled. Apparently David James Elliott is demanding too much per episode, the network wanted a younger lead (who STINKS!), and since the younger lead isn't working, we're done!
JAG was good when they worked at being real and believable. HARM always had a cause. It was especially good when you could believe the flight scenes (which is why we watched it).
I'll miss JAG even if almost every time HARM took a F14 in the air he lost the plane. The flying, especially the STEARMAN scenes, were terrific.
BYE!
That just means one more hour for yet another 'reality' show. Probably 'Contenders Survivors' where they drop a bunch of people of a deserted island, and each one beats the hell out of the others to make number one.
Film at 11.
Thanks for the dumbing down of the world

Back