I've noticed something really cool the last few flights

48dodge

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
48dodge
I no longer have to use the rudder during takeoffs. At least that's what it feels like. When I first started I would swear I would take almost a 90 deg turn to the left during throttling up. TNGs were the worst.

I do notice that if I take too long off between flights I don't coordinate like I should during turns but it comes back much quicker each time.

Did you put air in the left main or something?

I think you might be saying that you're automagically adding rudder without thinking about it, whereas in the beginning it seemed like you'd never figure it out? If so, these are the little subtleties that put a smile on your face and make you realize you are becoming a pilot :)

I agree that touch and goes are hard to do because once on the runway and taking off again, you have to maintain directional control straight down the runway. I think it takes a lot of concentration and focus to safely maintain centerline. I think a new student pilot would be all over the place swerving left and right and left and right for the first couple of lessons.

Huh, I just realized that I do the same thing in that I really don't notice how much I have to use right rudder these days. It's almost entirely instinctual.

I agree that touch and goes are hard to do because once on the runway and taking off again, you have to maintain directional control straight down the runway. I think it takes a lot of concentration and focus to safely maintain centerline. I think a new student pilot would be all over the place swerving left and right and left and right for the first couple of lessons.

No kidding. The airport I trained at prohibited touch and goes, and the plane I flew had nosewheel steering. When I first did a touch and go in the Skycatcher, which has a castering nosewheel, I swerved all over the place. Plus one of my few complaints with the plane are the really powerful springs in the rudder system. Takes lots of the feel out of the rudder. Ick.

Yeah if I actually think about using right rudder I'll pull too far to the right.

Somebody changed the rudder trim...

Man I wish I had rudder trim the other day. Pretty much direct 30kt crosswind on one leg of my xc the other day

No kidding. The airport I trained at prohibited touch and goes, and the plane I flew had nosewheel steering. When I first did a touch and go in the Skycatcher, which has a castering nosewheel, I swerved all over the place. Plus one of my few complaints with the plane are the really powerful springs in the rudder system. Takes lots of the feel out of the rudder. Ick.

James, you are totally correct about those damn rudder return springs!
A long climb in the 162 results in a pretty achy leg/foot. I have flown
gliders quite a bit and there is no spring at all which is so much easier
to work with. I have no idea why those springs are so strong.

Instructor: "Are you sure you are using full rudder?"
Me: "My leg is cramping......."

I have been training in the Skycatcher and it is taking awhile to keep
the darn thing going straight down the runway.

Victor

Man I wish I had rudder trim the other day. Pretty much direct 30kt crosswind on one leg of my xc the other day

A crosswind in flight?? :yikes: Have a chat about that with your instructor.

So you don't coordinate in flight? Not sure what you're saying. What do you call it when you're flying due north and 30kts from 270? I know the plane will crab but the ball is not in the center on the 172 I fly.

Last edited:
So you don't coordinate in flight? Not sure what you're saying. What do you call it when you're flying due north and 30kts from 270? I know the plane will crab but the ball is not in the center on the 172 I fly.

Aircraft in cruise do not require static wind correction control inputs. If the ball is not centered in cruise that is not due to wind. I've had that happen when an aircraft was out of rig, when my fuel burn was uneven, or (sheepish) when I failed to secure the cargo door.

OK, I've always tried to keep it centered. Usually just have to rest my foot on the one pedal. I can definitely see it being the plane out of rig. It is a trainer that has sent better days. Fuel burn is always very even unless doing a lot of turns around a point.

In flight, the airplane only "sees" the relative wind created by its own forward thrust. It knows/feels nothing about the direction of the airmass within which it is moving.

A couple suggestions: If you really want to develop good skills with your feet during touch and goes, keep the nose wheel aloft - don't let it touch the runway for the whole landing/takeoff. Another thing you can try is using only your right foot on the rudder (to get a good feel for the correct amount of pressure required for p factor, etc, from that thundering monster of an engine in the 162). I doubt it's more than a few ounces of pressure.

If the ball is not in the center, you're NOT coordinating in flight. Given the 90 degree, 30 knot crosswind you just described, if the aircraft was tracking 360 degrees, the heading might be say, 345, with the wings level and the heading constant. Does that make sense?
Now, obviously conducting a landing in such a crosswind is quite entertaining, but it can be done in many types of airplanes -- with the right person in the hero-chair. Some airplanes, though, it might be darned near impossible.

Yes I was tracking at least 15 degrees off. I knew all that but for some reason it didn't register. I'm sure it's just an out of spec plane. Luckily the 2 landings I had not at home ended up being gusting straight down the runway. Once back home the wind had died to a low cross. Maybe 5kts component on the ground. 30kts at pattern though

Back