iTunes

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
iTunes cannot run because it has detected a problem with your audio configuration

so wtf does that mean? i havent changed anything on my computer since the last time i opened iTunes.

Oh Apple and your infinitely useful error messages. Remember the old bomb errors?

"Unimplemented Trap: Error 8"

Sorry, Tony, no clue, but I'd guess there is something configured improperly in your audio hardware.

I routinely bash Windows for all its faults, but it isn't until I use iTunes that I realize how good Microsoft really is.

I routinely bash Windows for all its faults, but it isn't until I use iTunes that I realize how good Microsoft really is.

Keep bashing Windows. You're using iTunes ON WINDOWS. WINDOWS is the source of Tony's problem. There's no "Just uninstall and reinstall the application" on OS X.

There's no uninstall. You can just delete the app.

You don't have these driver issues or device issues on OS X, either. There are effectively no drivers.

uh mike, the problem was i needed to reinstall Quicktime.

so if the program doesnt play nice with the operating system, its the operating systems fault?

so if the program doesnt play nice with the operating system, its the operating systems fault?

Programs do have to work within the limitations of the operating systems they are written for.

However, I'd bet this is a case of Apple trying to keep from having to reinvent the wheel, and probably trying to re-use code as much as possible. For the same reason, MS Office used to really suck on the Mac, until they finally gave up and completely re-wrote it.

Of course, there's not much incentive for Apple to do so with iTunes/QuickTime, because it just makes the Mac look that much better. :D

Of course, there's not much incentive for Apple to do so with iTunes/QuickTime, because it just makes the Mac look that much better. :D

only if you view it from mikes perspective, blaming the OS for the programs shortcomings.

only if you view it from mikes perspective, blaming the OS for the programs shortcomings.

Sometimes it's okay to blame the OS. I remember the time I wrote a program that would deadlock on Win95, but not on NT 4.0. I had to change the program to detect if it was running on Win95 and increase the size of its semaphore-protected critical sections so that the number of concurrently-running threads were reduced. The problem manifested itself only when the computers were exposed to heavy network traffic, but it was still a pita.

My gripes with iTunes are OS-agnostic. They're related to limitations in its podcatcher interface, managing music libraries and protected files, interfacing with the iPod (you'd think they could at least get that right!), and limitations/stupidities in its music database, which become most evident when handling large music collections.

In each of these ways, iTunes works just as poorly on a mac.

iTunes causes me more aggravation (and creates more data recovery work for my buddy Stefan) than any other single application.

Rich

I got a Zune for Christmas. I love it. It took me about four hours to get the software to install the first time. Every other install was no problem.

I got a Zune for Christmas. I love it. It took me about four hours to get the software to install the first time. Every other install was no problem.

:D Whip me, beat me....

Back