It's 83 deg in Hawaii

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
I went for my flight this morning. We flew over four of the islands. We also saw quite a few wales. The flying here is different, out one side it's close to IMC out the other clear blue. You fly only 500 to 1000 feet but sometimes you are just under the clouds. Anywhere else it would to me be scud running, here it is just everyday flying. I sent 3 pics. valley I wanted to fly up but had no guts, plenty of sense though to stay out. breakers we saw along the beach and then Me surfing them.... well if you believe that.

Dan

Attachments

• breakers resize.JPG
    breakers resize.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 41
  • low clouds resize.JPG
    low clouds resize.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 39
  • surfer resize.JPG
    surfer resize.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 36
Nice pics, Dan. I haven't been to HI since the early 90s. Maybe I'll look at going next year...unless the cost cuts into my flying.

THANKS, WT

It is -9F in Levi Finland where I am heading in a little over a week. :(:eek::(

I'll be in Kona shortly after that trip. It will be a little weird going through about a 100 degree increase in temps in just over a couple of days.

Awww, man. As if I didn't want to go back enough already!!! Thanks for sharing. Next time there, I'd like to do some aerial site-seeing of my own.

top of the crater, I could be in a plane but I am not.

Attachments

• DSCN0738.JPG
    DSCN0738.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
some pics of the pools we swam in down by Hana. Golf tomorrow at the Dunes.

Dan

Attachments

• Hawaii pools.JPG
    Hawaii pools.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Okay, this is officially NOT FAIR! Gorgeous, though!

Heck, the 99's conference in a couple years is in Hawaii, so maybe I'll finally get to go then!

some pics of the pools we swam in down by Hana. Golf tomorrow at the Dunes.

Dan

Is that part of the "Seven Pools"? We went there on our honeymoon, but it was cold (60ish) and the wind was howling up the canyon, so we didn't partake in the skin diving with the other yahoos there.

Hey Dan, Do you know of a place in Hawaii where you can rent a Light Sport Aircraft?

Is that part of the "Seven Pools"? We went there on our honeymoon, but it was cold (60ish) and the wind was howling up the canyon, so we didn't partake in the skin diving with the other yahoos there.

A little farther up but same water flow. It was crowded down lower. there was no one at these pools. I even went way back in to a part that you had to climb to that was even more secluded yet. You have to be part mountain goat to get there. It was worth it. I got yelled at by the park ranger because he thought I was going to jump off the cliffs on the lower part. I told him there was no one here I had to impress, he agreed. It would have been kind of fun though.

We are here on our 30th anniversary.

Dan

Hey Dan, Do you know of a place in Hawaii where you can rent a Light Sport Aircraft?

No and the place I rented from is the only one that will rent to you as far as PPL planes go. Unless you did all your lessons from them the rental places will not rent to you. Maui aviators is the only place and then you need a 2 hr checkout. It is easier to just take along the CFI. He works great for a guide. There is so much information that you need that you need a guide anyway. If you did not have a guide you are just flying over beautiful countryside. You will fly over things that you never knew were there if you do not have someone explaining things to you. You also save a lot of time going to the best places to see rather than flying all over and missing the best stuff. The best part is you do not even need a PPL to do it this way. You can do it with 0 hrs if you can handle the plane.

Dan

While golfing today we were watching the planes come in. Very stiff wind, they looked like they were not even moving just slowly descending. It was a blast to see those big planes just sit there.

This is what I flew, I could not find the picture.

I asked him as I arrived I suppose that's my plane (Pointing to a yellow plane) he said "that's it." I thought he was joking, but when I asked him to point me to my plane so I could check it out that's where he pointed. All went well and it flew like a champ. It had a STOL kit. It is kind of funny because you are out there in the ocean at 500' or so at times and think nothing of it. When I am out over Lake Superior I am at 10,000 to 12,000 and worried the whole time.

Dan

Attachments

• plane.JPG
    plane.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
That has to be the worst paint job I've ever seen.

I'm surfing the big stuff in Maui.:goofy:

Attachments

• surfer Dan.JPG
    surfer Dan.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 6
Awww, man....
I was going to ski into work today (like I sometimes do), but -10 F is just too cold for that to be fun...

--Kath

I made it back in one piece. Almost a 100 deg temp swing but it is still nice to be home.

There was a crash of a King Air I think it was, mail carrier while I was there. Flying low over the water island to island. Did not hear anymore about it before I left.

Dan

I want warm weather and I've had enough reading about it. I'm blocking this thread :redface:

Back