Italian Herb / Meat / Cheese Bread Rolls

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
These are nice rolls for those who like highly-flavored foods. My family insists I make them every Thanksgiving and Christmas. (Directions given below assume a decent-quality electric mixer with a kneading hook.)

rolls.jpg

Ingredients (for 12 decent-sized rolls):
  • Three cups unbleached white flour
  • Three cups whole wheat flour
  • Two packages active dry yeast
  • One tablespoon sugar
  • One-half teaspoon salt
  • One to two tablespoons Italian seasoning, to taste
  • One to three tablespoons grated cheese (Romano, Parmesan, provolone, etc.) to taste. Romano will give a robust flavor. Parmesan or provolone are more delicate.
  • Two eggs, beaten
  • One tablespoon olive oil
  • One-quarter pound prosciutto, shredded or slivered
  • One-quarter pound ham, shredded or slivered
  • Three tablespoons pignoli
  • One red bell pepper, finely chopped, sweet or hot (your choice)
  • One green bell pepper, finely chopped (ditto)
  • About two cups or so warm water (120 - 130 degrees F.)
Directions:

Dump the flour, sugar, salt, Italian seasoning, and yeast into the mixing bowl and mix it, dry, until thoroughly mixed.

Next, throw in the rest of the ingredients (except the water) and mix it some more. Do this before you add the water because the ingredients have some water in them, and you don't want the dough to wind up too wet.

Change to the kneading hook and add the water, slowly, until the proper consistency is reached. The dough should be in a loose ball, but still very slightly wetter than an average white-bread dough. (Whole wheat flour doesn't rise quite as much as white flour; the slightly wetter dough helps it rise.) If the mixer starts to thump and bounce off the counter if you don't hold it down, it's probably just a touch too dry. Add a sprinkle of water.

Let the dough knead for a long time -- 20 minutes or so. Then let it rest for about 15 minutes. Then knead it for another ten minutes.

Next, remove the hook, cover the bowl with a clean towel, and let the dough rise for half an hour to an hour. It should almost triple in size. Then punch it down and let it rise again.

Next, dump the dough on to a cutting board or other work surface with some flour sprinkled on it, and hand-knead the dough into a long cylinder, about 20 inches long, give or take. Cut it into 12 more-or-less equal pieces, and roll each one into a ball. (They should be about the size of racquetballs.)

Evenly space the balls, six to a sheet, on two baking sheets that are lightly sprinkled with whole wheat flour. Leave plenty of space. Because this dough is a little wet, it will spread out a little more than a dryer dough would as it rises.

Don't grease the sheets: That just causes the bottoms of the rolls to burn. All you need is a light dusting of flour to prevent sticking. (I usually cover the cookie sheets with foil and then dust the foil with flour.)

Cover the rolls with a clean towel and flick some water on the towel with your hand. Don't soak it! Just very, very lightly sprinkle it. (The moisture helps the yeast do their thing.) Let them sit in a warm place to rise a third time. This step usually takes between 45 minutes and an hour and a half.

When the rolls have risen, bake them at 375 F for 35 - 45 minutes, until the crust is, well, crusty, and you get a nice, hollow-sounding "thud" when you tap them.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rich

Now that sounds downright yummalicious!!! *drool*

Thanks. Baking yeast breads is very therapeutic, especially the chemistry and waiting parts. The yeast are in charge. Insult them by adding the wrong ingredients or not waiting long enough for them to do their thing, and you get a brick. It's good for one's humility.

It's also kind of cool to try to be creative within those biochemical parameters and while doing something that hasn't changed very much in thousands and thousands of years.

I haven't been baking as much bread recently because I'm on a diet (lost 23 pounds so far). So I really enjoyed this family baking assignment.

Rich

Without even reading the ingredients, those look delicious!

Without even reading the ingredients, those look delicious!

Thanks. The "test roll" I ate was good. They're a little heavier than what most people think of when they think of a "roll," both because of the whole wheat flour and because of the high lipid content. The consistency and crust resemble crusty Italian or French bread.

Increasing the ratio of white to wheat flour would fluff them up a bit, as would reducing the amount of high-lipid ingredients. Those things are really matters of personal preference and can be tweaked.

They're also not something you'd want to eat on a regular basis because of the fat content. But a couple of times a year shouldn't kill anyone.

Rich

Based on success (pending) of the bread (HERB GARLIC Pull apart Italian Bread) I made tonight, I'll give this a try. Of course, if this one bombs, I'm giving up baking altogether. I did have quite a bit of success with the yeast tonight. Wonder what the heck I did right.

That's fools' talk and you know it! :)

LOL, I've actually been doing pretty well staying on the diet. My doc is impressed.

I made a different loaf before heading up here (I'm at my parents' place, a mile away from the end of the world, connecting through a surprisingly speedy Hughes sat connection). I decided the first batch would be a bit too robust for the kids to enjoy, so I made something lighter, as well.

No pics, but the ingredients were:
  • Three cups unbleached white flour
  • One cup whole wheat flour
  • One package active dry yeast
  • One tablespoon sugar
  • One-half teaspoon salt
  • One tablespoon olive oil
  • Two tablespoons shredded white cheddar cheese
  • One cup shredded Dole mixed salad (the kind that comes in bags in the produce aisle)
  • One-half tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • Three tablespoons ground-up breakfast sausage
Just a pretty basic loaf, really. I used what I had on hand. Pretty much the same directions, too, except I made a loaf instead of buns this time. Came out very nice. Excellent consistency. Could have used just a touch more salt, though.

Rich

Based on success (pending) of the bread (HERB GARLIC Pull apart Italian Bread) I made tonight, I'll give this a try. Of course, if this one bombs, I'm giving up baking altogether. I did have quite a bit of success with the yeast tonight. Wonder what the heck I did right.

Please let me know how it turns out.

As for the yeast, assuming the yeast is live when you buy it, it really comes down to sufficient sugars, water, and warmth; the proper amounts of salt and lipids (both of which regulate the action of the yeast and prevent the bread from rising too quickly); and being careful with the pH. Yeast likes a pH near neutral, but lowering the pH enhances the bread's shelf life a bit (and gives it a slightly brighter taste, in my opinion). But you have to be careful: if you move the pH much out of the normal range, you'll start losing yeast activity.

But that's all part of the fun and the challenge of baking bread.

Rich

Will be sampling it at dinner today. At least the yeast did what it was supposed to. Doubled in size during the hour or so first stage, then another almost double during the second stage.
I usually have good luck with yeast. I say it's simply because I do not bake many things so I follow the instructions strictly. That still doesn't prevent me missing a step, but checklists are checklists; those I can handle.

Hey Rich;
Mine look almost as good as yours. Tasting is Tuesday. I'll let you know.

By the way, the Herb and Garlic bread turned out very well. I also made Brioche for Christmas. NOW I know why they invented butter.

Attachments

• Italian Herb Meat Chese Rolls.jpg
    Italian Herb Meat Chese Rolls.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 13
Those look great, will definitely be making those! Thanks for sharing. Anything with prosciutto in it is gonna be good. I should share my Springtime Pasta recipe... and would... but you're on a diet (and doing well! Congrats!!).

I did have quite a bit of success with the yeast tonight. Wonder what the heck I did right.

Fresh yeast, sugar to make the yeast hyperactive, and correct water temp. Old yeast, or too cold/hot, and it won't rise...

Last edited:
Hey Rich;

By the way, the Herb and Garlic bread turned out very well. I also made Brioche for Christmas. NOW I know why they invented butter.

Hey, they look great. That recipe makes a nice, hearty bread for people who look upon bread as more than just something to wrap around cold cuts. Let me know how you like them.

Rich

Those look great, will definitely be making those! Thanks for sharing. Anything with prosciutto in it is gonna be good. I should share my Springtime Pasta recipe... and would... but you're on a diet (and doing well! Congrats!!).

Thanks. I did put two pounds on over the holidays, but that'll come off in a couple of weeks. I've also taken to just making smaller batches of hearty rolls, and having a roll as a meal. Works out well.

Even though I understand the chemistry and biology of it pretty well, there's still something almost mystical about baking bread.

Rich

Hey Rich;
Well, Tuesday didn't turn out like we planned. The weather came in and blew off my New Year's Day celebration. After a trip to the store for some cold cuts, I indulged in a roll topped with turkey, ham, swiss, and bacon. I think I might have overdone the Italian seasoning a bit.
Overall, they are very tasty. Thanks for the recipe. I'll do it again.

Back