It is good to be a pilot....

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
..especially on major hollidays, you don't have to drive.

I took this shot as I left KGYY. I was collecting CONUS Challenge airports today and this pic is the main highway between the east coast and west for the northern US. It is the 80/94 corridor to Chicago. I am sure Kent can regale us with how many hours he has spent there. But look at that traffic and it was only 11 am on Wednesday, the day before Thanskgiving. It is only going to get worse.

Last edited:
LOL..that is traffic?

I live off of the busiest N/S Interstate cooridor in the US; I75 as it runs in/out of Atlanta.

Last I heard there was literally about 10 miles of solid, bumper to bumper traffic in my area alone! :wow

There was at least 10 miles of bumper to bumper to in that pic. As far as I could see in each direction and not moving fast at all.

I expect major traffic delays this afternoon traveling south of Hurricane towards Trapper Creek. Reports place record levels of traffic on Hwy 3 today.

pic7.jpg

smigaldi said:
..especially on major hollidays, you don't have to drive.

I took this shot as I left KGYY. I was collecting CONUS Challenge airports today and this pic is the main highway between the east coast and west for the northern US. It is the 80/94 corridor to Chicago. I am sure Kent can regale us with how many hours he has spent there. But look at that traffic and it was only 11 am on Wednesday, the day before Thanskgiving. It is only going to get worse.

Gee thanks Scott. :p I'm in Rochester, IN getting loaded right now and I'm going to have to fight with that later tonight. I turned AM 780 on just before I got here and it sounds like a special brand of fun for me tonight - 80/94 backed up from Ripley all the way to the Bishop Ford.

I'm gonna go to VPZ and get fuel (no, not actually at the airport, but at the "Pilot" truck stop on the south side of the field), and then head up to Burns Harbor and wait it out a little.

Ugh. :(

Ferget it! I let people come to me. Ever been on 95 or the Jersey Turnpike on the day before Thanksgiving? Capitol Beltway? Count me out!! I've spent too much time in those jams to ever want to do so again. If I can't fly my own plane, I ain't coming!!!!!!!!!

flyingcheesehead said:
Gee thanks Scott. :p I'm in Rochester, IN getting loaded right now and I'm going to have to fight with that later tonight. I turned AM 780 on just before I got here and it sounds like a special brand of fun for me tonight - 80/94 backed up from Ripley all the way to the Bishop Ford.

I'm gonna go to VPZ and get fuel (no, not actually at the airport, but at the "Pilot" truck stop on the south side of the field), and then head up to Burns Harbor and wait it out a little.

Ugh. :(

Can you do route 30 and then up 394??

When I was working in Nashville, I had intended to work over Thanksgiving until my ex came to get me and brought me home ( nevermind).. We flew back and landed at Midway around 3PM on Wednesday. We got into the limo and got home in the near northern burbs at 8PM.

smigaldi said:
Can you do route 30 and then up 394??

Theoretically - The problem is, all the folks that run Chicago a lot will be down there and that'll be backed up too.

By the time I got up to Burns Harbor, it was sounding really good pretty much everywhere. But, things never stay that way in Chicago very long. Shortly thereafter, somebody rolled a container on 80/94. Sigh.

I finally got home at 4 AM.

The traffic in the pic Scott posted looks like it all narrows down to one lane up by the bridge in the distance.

BTW: I could've only dreamed for traffic that light in what I battled yesterday.

tdager said:
LOL..that is traffic?

I live off of the busiest N/S Interstate cooridor in the US; I75 as it runs in/out of Atlanta.
Why do you think I moved to the north and not back to the south when I returned to Jawjuh?

I go out to Augusta every night. Wednesday night was NOT the same as other nights. A million-dollar insurance policy would have been a worthwhile short-term investment cost. I have to head back out there Friday night but it should be relatively safe. The night's I'm not looking forward to are Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. I'll be running drugs and everyone else will be driving like their on them. :hairraise:

alaskaflyer said:
I expect major traffic delays this afternoon traveling south of Hurricane towards Trapper Creek. Reports place record levels of traffic on Hwy 3 today.

LOL! I can smell those moose burgers sizzlin now!

Back