Is this an incentive to NOT file a flight plan?

Did not say whether ifr or vfr flight plan. I have not filed since flt trng and won't unless I have to.

Not nearly enough info there to know what happened. Im 100% sure it wasn't a guy on a vfr flight plan who decided to go someplace else and got intercepted for it. Probably on an IFR or ADIZ flight plan I would assume, and may have violated one of the R zones.

Not nearly enough info there to know what happened. Im 100% sure it wasn't a guy on a vfr flight plan who decided to go someplace else and got intercepted for it. Probably on an IFR or ADIZ flight plan I would assume, and may have violated one of the R zones.
I think Ted's on the right track. Might have been IFR and gone NORDO -- that attracts more attention than it used to, especially if it then deviates from its last cleared route. At least this time they didn't send Delta (or was it Southwest) to get a look at them.

Some one is trying to rationalize their existence.

I dont think theres an R zone, but there are a lot of nuclear weapons at the Charleston Naval Weapons Station too, for what its worth.

Ya, because terrorists are smart enough to file flight plans, but too stupid to follow them. Idiots...
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

as usual - the press gives you erroneous conclusions, insufficient facts upon which to figure it out on your own, and then hides behind being journalists when you question them and never admit being wrong unless confronted by clear factual statement they made which are false . ..

Guessing he flew though something, prohibited, restircted, tfr etc.

You would really have to F up on a IFR flight for them to think you got hijacked in a Cessna, especially if you weren't squwaking 7500 or flying towards to gov't complex.

Probably an ADIZ bust. Had it happen working approach back in the 90's in this exact same area. Sealord calls "Beaufort you working the 1200 code 50 miles SE of you at 4,500?" "Negative." duh, if I was then he'd be on my code an not 1200. Within 5 mins after hanging up 2 F-16s out of Charleston were airborne and heading his way. Don't stray too far off the coast of SC without DVFR flight plan or it could be you.

Too bad that 50 SE of Beaufort is jax airspace. Hahahah

Too bad that 50 SE of Beaufort is jax airspace. Hahahah

We routinely worked aircraft through JAX airspace offshore with a "point out." JAX center really doesn't care about VFR aircraft trying to save gas by cutting the corner going into CHS. They have bigger fish to fry. FACSFAC was just covering all her bases by calling me. I'm sure she called center before me anyway. In this case he was crossing into W133/134 about 10 miles outside the ADIZ so he was pretty far offshore for me to work him. Like I said I would have put him on my 4500 series codes anyway. At any rate, she gave him a shout out on guard (waste)then picked up the phone to whatever Air Guard unit was at CHS for a scramble. Didn't happen often. Maybe once every couple months.

To clarify, the altitude and distance were from memory 16-17 years ago. Not sure exactly how high and far he was. Definitely on the east side of the ADIZ though. :wink2:

It would be kind of cool to be flying next to an F 16 I mean if I screwed up id be a little nervous for repercussions however still a bit cool.

It would be kind of cool to be flying next to an F 16 I mean if I screwed up id be a little nervous for repercussions however still a bit cool.

Take a couple pictures and put them on your Facebook page!:D:D

I'm based a few miles from Whiteman AFB (KSZL), and get to fly alongside B-2s, T-38s, A-10s, Blackhawks, as well as others occasionally. Pretty neat sight, but in a bugsmasher it sure doesn't last long.

I dont think theres an R zone, but there are a lot of nuclear weapons at the Charleston Naval Weapons Station too, for what its worth.

Why would there be? There's not been a platform to deploy them from based there since the 90's.

Those two old school boomers in the Cooper river have club props and concrete in their tubes, and are used for propulsion school. The nuclear notam applied to the location because of the reactors in those boats, not the bunkers.

Why would there be? There's not been a platform to deploy them from based there since the 90's.
The fact that they don't have nuclear weapons platforms based in Charleston nukes won't pass through Charleston AFB (a major airlift base) and be stored there temporarily on their way somewhere else, say, to the boomer base at King's Bay, which has a P-area around it. But in any event, there is no R-area over Charleston AFB or Naval Station Charleston.

Last edited:

I think I would feel the same way I do when I see flashing red and blue lights on the car behind me. :mad2:

Back