Is this a step up?

Besides, who EVER pulls their engine back that far? Comparing, for example, the various Comanches, running the 180 at 75% results in 135hp, which is only 54% power on the 250 or 34% on the 400. I bet you can't find a single Comanche 400 owner who runs it at 34% in cruise...

The Comanche series isn't a good example, though, because the 400 is kinda a ludicrous hotrod. The 180/250/260 series is a better comparison and yes, people do pull them back to the 55% power range.

I pull the Aztec back to about 55-60% power (at least, that's what the book says I'm doing based on my power settings and fuel flows). I get a hair less speed that my friends burning much less fuel. 35% power I wouldn't pull back to because the engine doesn't like to run there and wouldn't be efficient. But it will still be very efficient down in the 55%ish range.

As to the original question, buy what you like. If I lived where you do, though, I would want something that could handle the mountains well. If your wife is working on her PPL, maybe consider waiting until she finishes it, then look at upgrading to something with a turbo that'll have better performance out where you live. I wasn't happy flying the Aztec with naturally aspirated engines. I would definitely get turbos if I lived there.

Back