Is this a good price for an older Mooney?

Radios are nothing to write home about.

Is the date on the annual a typo?

I don't think the windshield is a true 201 style...note that it appears that you can still see external radio access panels (which have a tendancy to leak). With the 201 style windshield I would expect those panels to be covered by the lower edge of the windshield.

I see the NDH note but I also see a three blade prop with a time in service that doesn't jive with total time or engine OH time...not saying anything is a wrong just something to double check.

There is no mention of SB208 being complied with, when the fuel tanks were last sealed or any of the other SBs or ADs specific to Mooney aircraft. Could just be the way the advert was written but if I were advertising my Mooney I'd certainly indicate that SB208B has been complied with, that I have new O&D bladders and things like the aileron link AD complied with by replacement as opposed to inspection.

Len

Looks like it has been on the market for a while if you look at the web page dates. Wonder how many hours on the enging.

Seems a high even with a good OH.

That looks like a standard windscreen to me. Just upgraded to the one piece that came out in 68?

There is a 201 windscreen mod that retains a piece of the access panel. Southwest Texas Aviation has the STC. This is almost necessary if you don't redo the orginal wiring since it was installd from the top. Almost impossible to get to from underneath. Wiring scheme is different in the 201 style.

You have to keep the gaskets in good shape and the nut plates sealed or you will have real trouble with leakage on those panels.

Eric

ejensen said:
There is a 201 windscreen mod that retains a piece of the access panel. Southwest Texas Aviation has the STC. This is almost necessary if you don't redo the orginal wiring since it was installd from the top. Almost impossible to get to from underneath. Wiring scheme is different in the 201 style.

I have the 201 windscreen on my '63 C model under a different STC, it does away with the exterior access panels. It also does away with the ability to check the hydraulic fluid level (which is a down side).

It took forever to have the windshield done, they said they were doing a lot of wiring clean up which was fine with me. The fellow that did it was in his 70's and it is a true work of art. You can not tell that the windshield wasn't factory original.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I have the 201 windscreen on my '63 C model under a different STC, it does away with the exterior access panels. It also does away with the ability to check the hydraulic fluid level (which is a down side).

How do they check the fluid? My shower of sparks is also located against the top (actually screwed to it). I just help put in a new ELT remote and a hand held antenna tap. Cant' imagine doing it without the panels given the way my wiring is laid out. You would want to do a lot of moving before sealing things up.

[/QUOTE]It took forever to have the windshield done, they said they were doing a lot of wiring clean up which was fine with me. The fellow that did it was in his 70's and it is a true work of art. You can not tell that the windshield wasn't factory original. [/QUOTE]

I which I had the windshield mod (any of them). Probably the best mod out there.

Eric

ejensen said:
I which I had the windshield mod (any of them). Probably the best mod out there.

Eric,

Mooney Mart offers a deal (at least they used to) 201 panel and 201 windshield at a reduced rate if you do the two mods together. I wish I had a 201 panel. On my aircraft the pilot's side instruments are configured in the standard six pack but it is not a work of art.

RE Checking Hydraulic Fluid - Inability to Check Level
My routine is to:
  • Fill fluid until it comes back out filler tube.
  • Religiously check for leaks on each preflight.
  • Practice no flap, no brake landings periodically.
Len

Len Lanetti said:
Eric,

Mooney Mart offers a deal (at least they used to) 201 panel and 201 windshield at a reduced rate if you do the two mods together. I wish I had a 201 panel. On my aircraft the pilot's side instruments are configured in the standard six pack but it is not a work of art.

Even with the discounts, it too much for me right now. Another year or two when the overhaul is paid off I can think of a new panel w/IFR GPS and a cowl/windshield. I'd love to get the LoPresti but doubt $12,000 will be available.

[/QUOTE]
RE Checking Hydraulic Fluid - Inability to Check Level
My routine is to:
  • Fill fluid until it comes back out filler tube.
  • Religiously check for leaks on each preflight.
  • Practice no flap, no brake landings periodically.
Len[/QUOTE]

:D

If I'm not mistaken we overhauled the engine in that airplane. The down side is it was several years ago so it had been sitting which is not good. I also don't think we did the accessories. Charlie Melot Zephyr Aircraft Engines

Back