Is this a good combination?

What is the objective?

The amount of potassium (K) appears to be too small to be of value. When served in tablets the FDA has restricted the amount of K to a miniscule amount less than 100 mg. I believe they are afraid that a dissolving pill will cause irritation to the stomach lining due to the localized concentration. Or something like that - I once found the FDA rationale on line but failed to record the link.

For potassium I think you'd be better off using potassium chloride (KCl) powder (http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Potassium-Chloride-Powder-Ounces/dp/B00028M02Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1403239348&sr=8-3&keywords=potassium+supplement+powder) It can be mixed into some apple or orange juice, among other liquids. You can then get a lot more K. The FDA doesn't seem to have any rules restricting amounts when used in powder form. I've put as much as 0.5 tsp of into a glass of orange juice. Though it can have a laxative effect in large amounts. KCl is a salt much like table salt (Sodium Chloride; NaCl) and tastes like one.

For magnesium one has to beware the laxative effect also - so you could try the L-threonate form: http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-Neuro-Mag-L-Threonat-Vegetarian/dp/B006P536E6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1403239497&sr=8-4&keywords=magnesium+life+extension The down side is that the amount is small (and moderately expensive) but it is claimed that the L-threonate helps transport the magnesium to where it is needed.

What is the objective?

The amount of potassium (K) appears to be too small to be of value. When served in tablets the FDA has restricted the amount of K to a miniscule amount less than 100 mg. I believe they are afraid that a dissolving pill will cause irritation to the stomach lining due to the localized concentration. Or something like that - I once found the FDA rationale on line but failed to record the link.

^^^ that is it exactly. localized hyperkalemia

Personally, for patients I like the liquid elixer.. for non patients, like myself, I prefer something like V8 or tomato juice. Lots of potassium. Not so hot on the flavor but it works when you have cramps.

for non patients, like myself, I prefer something like V8 or tomato juice. Lots of potassium. Not so hot on the flavor

Make it spicy hot V8...and Vodka, Worcester, a celery stick and Tabasco helps!

Last edited:
I've been taking magnesium to lower blood pressure, and it seems to work. I was wondering if combining it with potassium was worth a try.

I've been taking magnesium to lower blood pressure, and it seems to work. I was wondering if combining it with potassium was worth a try.
Arsenic lowers blood pressure much further and much faster. AND it is all natural.

Arsenic lowers blood pressure much further and much faster. AND it is all natural.

Yes, but I'm afraid that if I take arsenic on the day of my physical, they'll refer me to a psychiatrist.

For magnesium one has to beware the laxative effect also - so you could try the L-threonate form: http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-Neuro-Mag-L-Threonat-Vegetarian/dp/B006P536E6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1403239497&sr=8-4&keywords=magnesium+life+extension The down side is that the amount is small (and moderately expensive) but it is claimed that the L-threonate helps transport the magnesium to where it is needed.

I'll try this one.

The objective is to help lower BP.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back