Is This a Feasible Commute?

Funny... Still seems a bit urban but then again I was talking about getting a goat for the yard the other day hahaha

Go for it! Tell your squeamish neighbors that it's the ultimate green lawn care, combining mowing with fertilizing, and no CO2 emissions. (No comment on other emissions . . . :D

They won't say much. Can't see them until the leaves fall and we're close enough friends that we take vacation together. The hold up is that I just don't want to put fence around more than an acre. Too much work

Here is what I would suggest. Make all your plans and such as if you never will fly your own plane. If it still makes sense and your wife won't divorce you, do that while you pursue your license (for fun, not driven by commute obligations). If it still makes sense then pursue your own plane.

Excellent advice.

I would add this: Start planning your flight, right now, every day (you may want/need to get with a CFI to learn how if you haven't yet). See whether you could make it or not. Some seasons it'll be easier than others. You should be able to start getting an idea of how often you'll be able to make it and how often you'd need to make alternate travel arrangements. Keep in mind you'll likely need to use different routes sometimes - There is more than one way to get there. Also, plan lots of "outs" - For example, if you plan a dozen different airports where you know you can get a rental car on short notice during the times you plan to air-commute, you'll have more flexibility with weather.

I would suggest that you begin your planning as if you're going to own something relatively easy to own and fly that'll still have enough performance to make the trip safely in a reasonable amount of time. A Cessna 182, perhaps. Maybe do a second plan each day for the route you'd take with a de-iced turbo Baron or 310.

Looking at it today, there are AIRMETs for mountain obscuration, icing, and convective activity along a direct route. (Never mind the icing, that one got cancelled while I was typing.) There is some widely scattered precip. However, you could probably do it VFR in a 182 if you went south to Portland at 3000 feet and then followed the Columbia River east, it looks like it clears up about halfway to The Dalles. Then, via KGIC, KMSO, KHLN, a jog around Mt. Edith, KRPX, and then south to KPOY should keep you out of weather and rocks. However, it'll also extend your trip to 813nm, about 40% longer than a direct trip, and it'll probably take 7 hours in a 182.

Now, if you have something with a turbo and oxygen, the game changes. Go up to 17,000 or above, pick your way around the buildups visually, and you're good to go today.

Don't let the people on this board who say you need a 777 to make that trip dissuade you completely - They probably haven't done much in the way of piston-powered IFR travel and thus it wouldn't be comfortable for them! It can be done safely if you plan carefully, have lots of alternate/backup plans in mind, remain flexible enough to use them, and allow yourself the time in your plans to drive or fly airlines if and when necessary.

Back