Is there stats for reasons Medical is lost

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
It would be nice to have some database where we can poll to show reasons why Class 3 Medical was denied to individuals. Something Like this

Results based on 100% of people polled

Prior DUI 2%
Vision 20%
Previous Heart Attack 2%
Previous Stroke 3%
High Blood Pressure 6%

These are just fictitious numbers I came up with.

Of course the individual names could not be revealed because of Hipaa.

Is there such a thing?

Would people with lost medicals still be here? I am, but I'm planning to get mine back one day. Hopefully soon.

Initial loss reason was a kidney stone but before I could get it reinstated I also had Type II issues and am on a non-evaluated drug.

Yes that would be a problem. People denied medical most likely abandon POA with a raised Middle finger.

I'm not sure how to capture status like this unless I had access to the FAA Medical database or what ever its called.

Couple of percent for DUI, couple percent for add drug use or other mental problems. Over ninety percent because of people being fat. The good doc once said all his specials were fat. People don't want to hear it but it is the truth. Have normal weight and just about all the disqualifying ailments go away. Or they wouldn't show up in the first place if pilots weren't such whalebags.

- - and properly questioned, "Are there stats for reasons Medical is lost?"
Proof and Edit Before Publishing.

:eek:)

Couple of percent for DUI, couple percent for add drug use or other mental problems. Over ninety percent because of people being fat. The good doc once said all his specials were fat. People don't want to hear it but it is the truth. Have normal weight and just about all the disqualifying ailments go away. Or they wouldn't show up in the first place if pilots weren't such whalebags.

This. Lol

FOIA only works if the data you're requesting exists. Unless the FAA has compiled such a statistic into a report already, FOIA will get you squat. Unless they have anonymized results FOIA will get you squat. FOIA can not get you a file on an individual (Privacy Act, sometimes the FAA obeys that) nor compel them to change something covered by the Privacy Act into something you can have released.

HIPAA doesn't apply to the FAA, it's not a covered entity.

Of course all this is skewed by people who don't even bother to apply/renew knowing they likely will not be issued.

Pilots rarely "lose" their medical status. Instead they choose not to pursue renewal. Good luck tracking that.

Lots of guys have walked away when the SI route was available to them. Not worth the hassel? They didn't understand their options? Hard to say, but the medical acceptance potential is better now than it's ever been and lots of guys who walked away in the past could qualify now. Perhaps they have other things to do. Flying is something but it isn't everything.

I wouldn't say it is rare, but I agree that far more people don't try to get renewed if they suspect the outcome is

Or the number of people who know they wouldn't pass and just give up altogether. Judging by the interest in 3rd class medical reform, it's probably a high number.

FOIA only works if the data you're requesting exists. Unless the FAA has compiled such a statistic into a report already, FOIA will get you squat...

You sound like you are trying to disprove my suggestion, but actually we are in agreement.

I used the word "might." You used many more words starting with "only works if ..."

Pilots rarely "lose" their medical status. Instead they choose not to pursue renewal. Good luck tracking that.

Exactly. And reasons could be:

1) Know I won't pass
2) Don't want to mess with SI
3) Wasn't flying anyway
4) Downgraded to LSA/ultralight/glider because mission/costs/interests changed

So, not necessarily involuntary.

You sound like you are trying to disprove my suggestion, but actually we are in agreement.
Not disproving anything, just amplifying. Every post here doesn't need to be considered adversarial.

I fear some day would come when me passing medical is questionable. I hope I'm at least a couple of decades away from having this fear. No one can really know when this would happen. So in the mean time I live a healthy life style and exercise. That's all I can really do besides annual physicals with the Family Doctor.

On my side of the family there really isn't any genetically health issues that would cause me to be concerned. My Grandfather died from Cancer. Well yea he smoked like a chimney. My Dad had a heart attack 10 years ago but survived. Well I wonder why "sarcasm" You eat like your a teenager with all the fatty foods and poor diet.

David

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back