Is there an ADS-B NOTAM System?

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
We have been chasing down problems in our ADS-B in/out system installation for several months. We think we've got everything working properly now, but on yesterday's flight to San Antonio our GRT Horizon HXr EFIS was not depicting any traffic.

Interestingly, it *was* displaying traffic along the Texas Gulf coast, but not around the much busier airspace of San Antonio.

Thankfully, we have the Nexus 7/Garmin Pilot/GDL-39 combo running in the back cockpit (which has been invaluable for troubleshooting the in-panel installation), and it, too, was not displaying ANY traffic.

This seems to indicate a problem with the ground-based portion of the ADS-B system itself around San Antonio -- but how would we know? Thus, the question: Is there any place I can check for a NOTAM on the operational status of individual (or area) ADS-B transmission towers?

Thanks!

The only NOTAMS I have ever noticed are the FDC "You have ADSB in your area" ones. Have you reported your issue to the FAA? I know somewhere in the NOTAM it requests that all service disruptions should be reported.

Well, that's the flip side of my question: Is there a PIREP reporting method for ADS-B outages?

I can't find a current activation notam. Until then you can email this address to find out how your system is doing

9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov

They need your tail#, ADSB & GPS make and model numbers.

I believe you make PIREP reports though FSS and an FAA email that I can't find at the moment.

Found it!!! I knew I had seen it some where.

Reports of ADS-B Malfunctions:

Users of ADS-B can provide valuable assistance in the correction of malfunctions by reporting instances of undesirable system performance. Reports should identify the time of observation, location, type and identity of aircraft, and describe the condition observed; the type of avionics system and its software version in use should also be included. Since ADS-B performance is monitored by maintenance personnel rather than ATC, it is suggested that malfunctions be reported in any one of the following ways:

By radio or telephone to the nearest Flight Service Station (FSS) facility

By FAA Form 8740-5, Safety Improvement Report, a postage-paid card is designed for this purpose. These cards may be obtained from FAA FSSs, Flight Standards District Offices, and general aviation fixed-based operators

By reporting the failure directly to the FAA Safe Flight 21 program at 1-877-FLYADSB or http://www.adsb.gov

Found it!!! I knew I had seen it some where.

Reports of ADS-B Malfunctions:

Users of ADS-B can provide valuable assistance in the correction of malfunctions by reporting instances of undesirable system performance. Reports should identify the time of observation, location, type and identity of aircraft, and describe the condition observed; the type of avionics system and its software version in use should also be included. Since ADS-B performance is monitored by maintenance personnel rather than ATC, it is suggested that malfunctions be reported in any one of the following ways:

By radio or telephone to the nearest Flight Service Station (FSS) facility

By FAA Form 8740-5, Safety Improvement Report, a postage-paid card is designed for this purpose. These cards may be obtained from FAA FSSs, Flight Standards District Offices, and general aviation fixed-based operators

By reporting the failure directly to the FAA Safe Flight 21 program at 1-877-FLYADSB or http://www.adsb.gov

Thanks.

How can you confirm that your ADSB out is working? I.e., not just that it's transmitting, but that it's transmitting a sufficiently strong, high-integrity signal that's being received properly on the ground?

Your symptoms sound like they'd be consistent with your ADSB-out failing to "wake up" the transmitters to send you your local traffic.

Something everyone forgets is that the "ADS-B" system is really only about the "out" portion. The "in" portion is the benefit piece. I suspect system monitoring is in place for ensuring "out" signals are being received and processed.

I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling that the same level of service will be provided for the "in" when I read a statement like this; "Users of ADS-B can provide valuable assistance in the correction of malfunctions by reporting instances of undesirable system performance." That would be like asking us if the ILS worked okay when we flew it to minimums...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was having a similar problem in Denver. I emailed the avionics check address and my report came back that everything was working great. They looked further that I was requesting AbS-in data on the uat frequencies but they were not sending it back to me. They have opened an internal ticket to look into it. It appears to work when I am outside of the Denver ground stations. I am in Seattle at the moment and I am finding there are a lot of places where I do receive Modes S TIS traffic but do not get ads-b TIS-b traffic. these are typically below 2000' AGL.

I also have the Garmin GDL-39 as input. It is nice that it shows you when you are receiving a TIS-B uplink. According to garmin, if you transmit ads-b out and ask for in. then the abs-b system will periodically transmit a list of participating aircraft. if your aircraft is part of that list or there is an aircraft on the list that is close, the garmin GDL-39 will show a TIS-B link.

Something everyone forgets is that the "ADS-B" system is really only about the "out" portion. The "in" portion is the benefit piece. I suspect system monitoring is in place for ensuring "out" signals are being received and processed.

I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling that the same level of service will be provided for the "in" when I read a statement like this; "Users of ADS-B can provide valuable assistance in the correction of malfunctions by reporting instances of undesirable system performance." That would be like asking us if the ILS worked okay when we flew it to minimums...

My feelings exactly.

I have had ADS-B "in" for a couple of years, now. I have had ADS-B "out" since February.

The best I can say is that the system (not just the FAA, but the manufacturers, and support in the field) ain't ready for primetime, yet. Thankfully, the Feds seem to have the weather transmission/receiving parts of the system pretty well in hand. Traffic? Not so much.

Back