Is the value of GA to the public overstated?

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
I always hear about medevac, wild fire fighting, etc., but of what value is GA to the public besides supporting an infrastructure in which these activities can be conducted? I understand that the GA infrastructure doesn't need to be of use to everyone; but useful in that it is available to those who choose to use it (much like the majority of federal, state and local highways, bridges and tunnels that many people will never use). Why does it need to be justified constantly with these relatively infrequent uses* that directly benefit the public?

I tend to be cynical with this sort of thing, and sometimes to the point of being contrary to my interests.

*maybe these activities are more frequent than I am assuming.

I think looking at it from just the " aviation " perspective is missing a large part of the equation. Sure GA serves fire fighting, Medevac, air ambulance, It serves business in many ways as well. Quest Diagnostics for example has their own fleet of GA Single Engine Piston Planes to pick up and transport lab samples. Many businesses that are not in the aviation business or that have an " aviation wing" such as Quest use GA not just for the transportation of exeuctives of their own companies but for site visits and meetings by customers and vendors, Like it or not GA makes many political campaigns possible. It supports training for the armed forces and commercial airlines. I can't say what the cost benefit anaylsis is but I think it goes way beyond fighting wild fires etc.

Adam is right. There is way more to justify GA than just medevac and fire fighting. Many of the industries in our area would not be here if it weren't for our airport. The guy or gal working in the local factory just does not understand that his or her job depends on the airport being there even if they never go out there.

One additional point about training of airline pilots: I think most people don't realize that if it weren't for GA, the average experience level of airline pilots would be a lot lower, because GA is where many pilots get their experience before getting hired.

Why does it need to be justified constantly with these relatively infrequent uses* that directly benefit the public?

Because the public believes that all it is is a bunch of rich people flying around for fun, and executives in G-Vs.

They don't understand that GA not only supports a large number of skilled jobs, but represents a significant tool that many companies need in order to be able to function. Without GA, many companies wouldn't be around, and that would mean those jobs get lost with them.

Why does it need to be justified constantly with these relatively infrequent uses* that directly benefit the public?

Because the public pays for a good bit of it and puts up with the noise.:rofl:
I think GA's benefits to the public are overstated and I can't justify it by pointing out worse uses of the public's money. It is just the world we live in, we all pay for all sorts of stuff for other people. :(

The best sign I've ever seen said "New Business Doesn't Come to Town on the Bus."

I think GA's benefits to the public are overstated and I can't justify it by pointing out worse uses of the public's money. It is just the world we live in, we all pay for all sorts of stuff for other people. :(
I feel the benefits of GA are understated to the public. Many airports are privately owned yet provide infrastructure to EMS, FEMA, and even the local government aviation (police helicopters, for example) and even the military. I've seen all of these at Princeton or Solberg in New Jersey. Being privately owned, they even pay taxes for the privilege. There's also aerial firefighting and aerial application (cropdusting). FedEx uses smaller planes into more rural places. there's pipe-line and power-line patrol that find small problems before they become big ones.

AdamZ also listed other corporate uses.

We have people who don't even know that we have an airport who have a job that wouldn't exist in our area if we didn't have an airport. I say that they benefit from GA. We had one executive state that their company didn't pick here to build because of the airport but without the airport, they would not have. Payroll > $2.5 million/yr. Property taxes > $100K/yr.

There is very little which can withstand a reasonably aggressive attack on the basis of its value and utility to the public.

Very few people need cars, or access to privately-driven automobiles. Eliminate most streets and focus solely upon public transportation, and while you might remove significant mobility and basic personal freedom, you'd save a raft of public money.

The money which could be saved if most people were required to live in modest-but-adequate high-rise apartments rather than houses is very significant, and the investment in public infrastructure would be dramatically lessened.

Aviation provides a substantial number of relatively high-value jobs, and has other significant economic and business benefits. Wayne made a good observation up there, he surely did.

I'll suggest that the return on investment for aviation infrastructure (which there ain't much of) is greater than most other government programs.

EMS, FEMA, Cop choppers? Oh right we need airports for all those big government services. Besides without airports we wouldn't have those great TSA jobs.

There is very little which can withstand a reasonably aggressive attack on the basis of its value and utility to the public.

Very few people need cars, or access to privately-driven automobiles. Eliminate most streets and focus solely upon public transportation, and while you might remove significant mobility and basic personal freedom, you'd save a raft of public money.

The money which could be saved if most people were required to live in modest-but-adequate high-rise apartments rather than houses is very significant, and the investment in public infrastructure would be dramatically lessened.

Aviation provides a substantial number of relatively high-value jobs, and has other significant economic and business benefits. Wayne made a good observation up there, he surely did.

I'll suggest that the return on investment for aviation infrastructure (which there ain't much of) is greater than most other government programs.

^^^^^ This.

Do you really want to live in a world in which Mr. Rangers (oh well Spike) describes? A lifeless, existance in a collective somewhere being resctricted from freedoms, and privileges that have traditionally been a part of our THRIVING society?

We actually NEED very little in life. If you want to be a slave, go ahead, just don't force it on me.

Some great replies... Anthony, you nailed it...
Interestingly, there is much in this society that cannot stand up to an un-emotional, fact driven, public scrutiny as to why we as a society put up with it...
I agree with the point that private flying for pleasure cannot justify the public expenditures made for local airports... Luckily, we do have businesses that need local airports... Actually, we would be better off if pleasure flying was restricted to private sod strips...
But beyond that, why do we have the public radio and tv cluttered with pro sports? Is there any legal activity in this country that has less utility for our lives than pro sports? Do we need another 7 foot near thug to make tens of millions of dollars so he can strut around in public with a gun in his pocket?
And pro music... Do we need another drug addled, tattooed, sexual deviant, to teach our children how to think?
And 1-800-call-Scum attorney ads... Why do we allow them?
And TV preachers, setting the end of the world date, endlessly... Why is this man allowed to walk around without a muzzle on?
And that Bayliner you have in the backyard... There can be no, none, nyet, zero, justification of public monies in dredging harbors and rivers so you can go blow arab gas through the engines all weekend...
And bars... There cannot be a single justification for giving licenses to people to sell for a profit to the public, a dangerous, addictive chemical...
What about drug ads... How can we justify a profit grasping drug company brain washing people that they will never be able to sleep unless the have that damned butterfly floating around their brain?
And I'll just blow right past cigarettes without any comment...
So many targets, so little time...

denny-o

^^^^^ This.

Do you really want to live in a world in which Mr. Rangers (oh well Spike) describes? A lifeless, existance in a collective somewhere being resctricted from freedoms, and privileges that have traditionally been a part of our THRIVING society?

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him.

We actually NEED very little in life. If you want to be a slave, go ahead, just don't force it on me.

I thought this was supposed to be about airplanes. ;)

I thought this was supposed to be about airplanes. ;)

It is, in an existential, metaphysical way.

In this instance flying/airports, etc are a metaphor. Open your mind, and free your soul. :D

Back