Is PTSD the dream killer?

Alex_Ferr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Inepu
Hello all,

So I am a service connected disabled vet, with surprisingly high number of 70% for ptsd. Fortunately, the only real thing I have going symptom wise is nightmares, and a fair amount of guilt (no flashbacks, panic attacks, or any of the more extremes thank goodness). I am working with the VA to get that number dropped. They have me on Trazodone for sleep and they tried me on Citalopram but took me off of it in <6 months at my request.

I have always wanted to be a pilot my whole life, and would love to do it as a career. (airline hopefully). What are the chances of this even happening? I am willing to put the time and the money to fight for it, but only if it is an actual realistic dream (as in I can actually hold a class 1).

I have contacted Dr. Bruce Chien on his website, and would like to get as many more honest opinions as I can.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Dr. Bruce is your best answer. The rest of us are just piffle. But if you are anxious to know, there are plenty of threads discussing this issue.

Listen to Dr Chien. He wants to get people in the air, but he'll also be realistic. Potentially, there might be a path, but if so it's expensive and in the end you might get a No, which will ground you from all flying. PTSD + responsibility for 300 passengers is not an easy one for the FAA to buy into.

Recommendation - consider sport pilot. There's no medical, you use your driver's license. There are airplane weight and speed limits, plus restrictions on using towered airports (requires training and endorsements), but otherwise you could fly across the entire country with it. There's no career path, but at least you get to fly.

It’s absolutely possible as a concept, and yours sounds like a viable case.

I know several who have done it, most recently a guy I flew with at a jump outfit. He was flying commercially (having come from being a flight instructor and flying a turboprop for us) and I believe is flying Beech Jets at a 135 outfit now so doing well at a high level.

Chien seems to be very well respected for these sorts of medicals.

The military seems to be trying hard to help guys and unwittingly making life a little harder than it needs to be for a select few. You may want to use a AME who has dealt not only with PTSD (and associated meds) but also military guys who were somewhat misappropriately diagnosed. I’m guessing the FAA has seen quite a few... So asking for references along those lines might be a good idea.

After talking to a few very knowledgeable gentlemen, here is my updated plan:
1: enroll in a college to finish my AA (about a year and a half out)
2: work with my va psychiatrist on knocking down my rating to 0 and making sure I am good to go from her end
3: after the aa is done (and a year and a half of no problems, no medication, documentation of such), sit down with a HIMS and gather all required paperwork/take all required actions/spend all required money to ensure I can get a class 1

4: if it is good, use remaining gi bill for flight school/certs, If it isnt going to work out, be sad
5: finish school and move forward with life either way

Here's hoping!

If time and money allow, you could get your Sport Pilot license while working on your AA and rack up a few hours. Once you get your medical, going from Sport to Private will be simple and quick.

And if you are advised that getting a medical will be impossible you could keep right on flying as a Sport Pilot, which ain’t so bad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back