Is prog-check the same as a per-solo check?

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
At my last lesson, my instructor said he was gonna try to set up my pre solo check depending on how well the lesson went. We went over just about all of the maneuvers (although there was virtually no wind, so practicing s-turns was almost useless), and my landings are much better, though still not consistent. So i got a call the other day from the person who does all the booking and operations and she told me that i was scheduled for saturday to do a prog-check. I have flown once with this instructor during one of my first lessons, so i know his approach. What can i expect, and depending on how it goes, can i expect to solo after this?

probably the same thing. are you training at a pt. 141 school? your instructor is probably just looking for a little independent verification that you are ready to solo. just fly the way you always fly. you'll solo when you and your instructor agree that you are ready.

It's a part 61 "school" (if you can call it a school). So i guess i can expect a little more tweaking of the maneuvers from my regular instructor based on his second opinion.

A "stage check" is a common part of most training now - it brings a fresh pair of eyes to the student, benefits the primary instructor as an example of "due diligence" before turning the student loose to solo, and the student benefits as he'll sooner or later wrap his mind around the fact that there can be more than one "right" way to accomplish a task in aviation.

So the one of the first comments out of the instructors mouth was "well, at least someone can fly" :D That made me pretty happy and a lot more comfortable. He had me do some things that i hadnt done before (at least not at the same time). For example, he asked for a 500fpm climbing turn* at 85kts to a specified altitude. I never had to hold a particular speed while climbing/decending, but after the first try (i.e., screw up) i was able to do it without much trouble.

We were trying to cram a lot in to get back home before the TFR took effect. (For those unaware, there was a TFR in the New York area beginning at 4pm saturday for the Obamas' date :rofl:) Coming back in was a bit hairy since everyone and their brother was also landing. Since ATC was so loaded up, my instructor decided we should fly over the Class D airspace to give them some time, however we were cleared for a straight-in approach while at 2500' when there were 2 other planes behind and below us. We were both a bit nervous but managed the approach without a hitch. However the added tension must have gotten to me, since i botched the landing.

All in all it went well, and he said he didnt have to fly with me again before i solo which means it could be this weekend.

*Forgot to add that it was a climbing turn..

Last edited:
All in all it went well, and he said he didnt have to fly with me again before i solo which means it could be this weekend.
Congratulations, and thanks for a great writeup! Looking forward to reading about your first solo next week!:yes:

Back