Is Pre-PTSD Therapy a Reportable Event?

P

Peaceful Thoughts

Does seeing a therapist about issues related to my profession prior to it becoming PTSD require notification to the FAA during my next medical? With mental health being a big topic currently I don’t want to get into a situation of lying on my medical. However, I also don’t want to stir pot unnecessarily.

Without disclosing too much information, I investigate fatal accidents and have seen things most people would happily go their entire lives not witnessing. Some of these events have started causing minor flashbacks when I smell certain things. These events last no longer than a few seconds and I go about my day with no further issues. My management suggested I start speaking with a therapist before these events become an actual problem. They’ve seen too many colleagues burn out or develop PTSD.

The therapist is not at all concerned about my mental state nor am I being prescribed any medication. Their opinion is that I need to do EMDR and discussions with coworkers regarding what I’ve witnessed so it doesn’t become PTSD.

Does seeing a therapist about issues related to my profession prior to it becoming PTSD require notification to the FAA during my next medical? With mental health being a big topic currently I don’t want to get into a situation of lying on my medical. However, I also don’t want to stir pot unnecessarily.

Without disclosing too much information, I investigate fatal accidents and have seen things most people would happily go their entire lives not witnessing. Some of these events have started causing minor flashbacks when I smell certain things. These events last no longer than a few seconds and I go about my day with no further issues. My management suggested I start speaking with a therapist before these events become an actual problem. They’ve seen too many colleagues burn out or develop PTSD.

The therapist is not at all concerned about my mental state nor am I being prescribed any medication. Their opinion is that I need to do EMDR and discussions with coworkers regarding what I’ve witnessed so it doesn’t become PTSD.
I believe any kind of medical needs to be very careful, The Lord FAA is watching.

So, it depends entirely on the diagnosis entered into the record.....
If you have the ability to do this without insurance, I would consider that.....as it relieves the therapis of the need to NAME a diagnosis. If covered by insurance the therapist down't get paid unless he neters a diagnosis.

Back