Is my career over?

BigKetchup

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BigKetchup
Last August, I applied for a first-class medical and received a letter denying me completely of a both a first-class and revoking my existing third-class medical because of a homonymous hemianopsia I've had after a car accident I was in back in 1992. The condition affects peripheral vision which affected the top and bottom right-quadrants of my vision in both eyes, but is mild at best. It never affected my ability to safely operate an aircraft, and my doctors, flight instructors, peers and DPE would attest the same (nobody I flew with ever even remotely knew I had any such problem). I sent in a request for reconsideration alongside letters of recommendation from said parties but is my career over? I have over 180 hours of logged flight time, have never had any problem in spite of this condition, and have never required any kind of special help or treatment in my life prior since the car accident.

Thanks for your input, let me know what you think.

My guess it would be determined by the extent of visual field loss, any associated neurological problems, and stability of the visual field loss. It appears FAA was not aware of this Motor vehicle accident when you received your 3rd class. Once aware, they said go back to square one and start over. What necessitated the visual field test? If the aviation medical examiner picked up the visual field loss without seeing an ophthalmologist, then the visual field loss had to be significant.

No, I actually disclosed it. I also had double vision and nearsightedness, but that was corrected. I went to go see a neurologist for a separate concern, and she recommended I undergo tests to make sure it's "nothing serious.". Turns out it was nothing serious but I did go see a neural opthalmologist and we discovered I have some limits in peripheral vision. I had to disclose it on my application for first class, but no, my AME never asked for it.

Darn. I was advised years ago to never apply an airman in that situation as it would be denied :(

I'm sure you'rld still be allowed to become an MD/surgeon.. but God forbid you take a 172 up..!

Our FAA med process is a broken disaster

TLDR; just don't go to the doctor. It's as simple as that. Schrodinger's medical history.

I'm sorry but it sounds like you might be hosed..

I feel the FAA are going to want know what is causing the right homonymous hemianopia, the diplopia, and the separate concern that necessitated the visit to the neurologist. Your future will depend on their diagnoses as well as the extent of damage. You need a diagnosis to tie everything together and predict any future problems.

Eldorado, that will not change the unstated policy that a homonymous hemianopsia is a denial. And that is still the case, they think that it is impossible (At aviation rates) to scan effectively with really only a 30 degree field of effective view....

LSA would have been the way to go...but it sounds like he's already been denied.

Eldorado, that will not change the unstated policy that a homonymous hemianopsia is a denial. And that is still the case, they think that it is impossible (At aviation rates) to scan effectively with really only a 30 degree field of effective view....

LSA would have been the way to go...but it sounds like he's already been denied.

Can’t he still fly gliders, including powered gliders?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back