Is it worth doing CPL if I have no interest in an aviation career?

narchee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Long Blinker
Hi everyone,

I've gone back and forth on this a lot. I have my PPL and fly really only for recreation. I sometimes do Angel Flights. So I really have no need for a CPL but have sometimes wondered if there would be a benefit to getting one. I don't know if it helps with insurance rates, or if there is any tangible benefit from going through the training. I've also been told it can be a negative if I ever get into some kind of trouble with the FAA. That they hold CPL's to a higher standard.

Any opinions?

Thanks

I'd get your IFR because it will open up flights that you couldn't do before. Unless you're going to use a CPL I don't see the need in getting one. Reason I say this is because just getting one really means nothing unless you're operating under it. I got mine in 2000 but never even used it until 2011. The rating just sat there. It had no impact in my flying besides a possible reduction in insurance for my plane. Once I got hired for a commercial 135 gig is when it mattered. Then I had to study far more (135, GOM, OpSpecs) than just a basic CPL. Once you put the rating to use is when it shows it's value.

A CPL should be held to a higher standard.

That said it's probably the easiest ride you'll take.

The check ride consists of a couple new VFR maneuvers, slightly more accuracy for the landings, all of which shouldn't be a issue at 250hrs.

The longest part of my ride was going through my log and verifying all the flight requirements.

I missed that, if the OP doesn't have his IR yet, that would be the next addition I would make.

No I have my IR.

How much does it cost to get a CPL?

The IR is the ticket to have,if your not flying for a job no real need for the Cpl,I did enjoy the maneuvers.

The FAA will hold you to a higher standard if you have an oopsy. No idea if or how lang it would take for any insurance savings to pay off. Cheap and easy enough to get, if you want it. Which is really the question, if you want it get it.

No I have my IR.

How much does it cost to get a CPL?
Depends. How many hours do you have? I finished the IR with about 150 hrs and built about 210 hours before I started training. I think it I spent around $5,000 for the actual. The ride was easier than my PPL IMO.

I wouldn't bother with the CPL, maybe do some acro, glider, etc.

The CP training will take your basic stick-and-rudder flying skills to the next level. You will learn to fly your aircraft with far greater precision in every respect -- real mastery of the aircraft, and that pays off in more ways than I can count. While there's no particular need to actually get the certificate if you have no intention of ever flying for hire/compensation (even as a sideline rather than a career), the improvement in your skills is worth the resources invested in the training.

As for cost, the biggest question is whether you have a complex aircraft in which to train. If that's what you're flying now, it's only a couple-three days training and perhaps as little as 10 hours of flying to get you ready to pass the test. If you haven't ever flown a complex airplane, but have the basic aeronautical experience requirements (total time, etc) it may 20 hours or more of training in a rented complex plane.

I don't thing lazy eights and chandels and a few landings are going to take you to "the next level".

It's not like a IR rating, the hardest part of the CPL is getting the hours.

I had a private SE and decided to do ME commercial. At some point, maybe I will go back and get the SE commercial.

I learned a lot about flying ME aircraft, and Seneca systems, but I'm not sure my flying improved to the "next level".

I don't thing lazy eights and chandels and a few landings are going to take you to "the next level".

It's not like a IR rating, the hardest part of the CPL is getting the hours.
I disagree. Those manuevers are deisnged for the pilot to be ahead, plan ahead, and anticipate what the aircraft is going to do before it actually happens. The CPL is all about how you can finesse the aircraft and stay ahead of the aircraft. It's about the pilot controlling the airplane, not the other way around. You are also held to stricter completion standards in the PTS. I agree that the IR was a lot harder ride than my Commercial, but learning the maneuvers really does take you to the next level in terms of you piloting the aircraft and staying ahead of it.

I guess.

In my experience its been one or two flight with the student, then they practiced the maneuvers a few times themselves, mock checkride and that was a wrap, I don't recall any of my guys failing a CPL ride ether.

I guess.

In my experience its been one or two flight with the student, then they practiced the maneuvers a few times themselves, mock checkride and that was a wrap, I don't recall any of my guys failing a CPL ride ether.
Yea I don't doubt it. The commercial ride was the easiest IMO.

The CP training will take your basic stick-and-rudder flying skills to the next level. You will learn to fly your aircraft with far greater precision in every respect -- real mastery of the aircraft, and that pays off in more ways than I can count.

How would you compare that to getting a tailwheel endorsement? two different animals?

You can still do the training and not get the rating. The real question would be why would you do that.

For me, getting the CP was about taking my flying to a higher level of professionalism, regardless whether I use it or not. I'm sure there are many PP's who fly to the same standards as CP requires, but for me, having those letters attached to the cert gives me an extra incentive to maintain my flying to a better than "good enough" standard.

How would you compare that to getting a tailwheel endorsement? two different animals?

Cheaper and that'll probably wake you up more than some lazy 8s in a arrow or something.

Another option would be some glider time, or acro time.

Heck go skydiving.

There are quite a few other ways to spend that money that will be way more fun and challenging than getting a CPL you won't use.

... I really have no need for a CPL but have sometimes wondered if there would be a benefit to getting one. ...
I was in the same boat but after earning my IA I actually never hesitated about getting a CPL. Just went ahead. Never have earned a dime from it, either. My benefits in ranked order:

1. Great excuse to go flying
  2. Learned more about airplane handling (it's not just lazy 8s and chandelles)
  3. Wanted retrac training and experience anyway.
  4. Braggin' rights

That's all I needed. YMMV of course.

I asked my insurance broker (AOPA) and they said no rate discounts for getting a CP.

So basically the CPL is useless if you don't want to charge for your services. No insurance discount says it all.

So basically the CPL is useless if you don't want to charge for your services. No insurance discount says it all.

Heck I didn't even get a discount for my ATP.

You can still do the training and not get the rating. The real question would be why would you do that.
Because the plane you have isn't complex, but you want to improve your flying skills.

As for the question on TW training, that will also improve your skills. Somewhat different skills than the CP flight maneuvers and landings do, so it may not be as applicable to what you're flying as the CP maneuvers and landings tasks. For that reason, I don't push TW training nearly as hard unless you plan to be flying a TW airplane. OTOH, the CP maneuvers training in the plane in which you normally fly will improve the skills which are applicable to the biggest causes of accidents (landings, loss of control, etc) no matter what you're flying.

If your only goal is an insurance discount, I suppose that's true. OTOH, if one of your goals is improving your skills so you can avoid paying the higher insurance premiums that go with having an accident on your record, it's got a lot of usefulness.

Probably the most bang-for-the-buck in overall skill/competency improvement is a good unusual attitudes recovery training class. I had that before either instrument or commercial, and have done additional spin recovery training every few years.

I fly frequently in the vicinity of airliners, so wake turbulence upsets are often on my mind.

Back