Is it safe?

depends on severity, treatment, etc etc. is he flying with primary students or current rated pilots? I beleive Alan Sheppard had Meniere's and he flew to the moon so one size does not fit all.

These are primary students and rides. He has had many attacks. At least one while driving was so bad he wasn't able to get out of the car and get help. I don't want to see a friend stop flying but... Could he safely get the plane down if an attack happens and do you get warnings the attack is coming?

depends on severity, treatment, etc etc. is he flying with primary students or current rated pilots? I beleive Alan Sheppard had Meniere's and he flew to the moon so one size does not fit all.
Shepard had endolymphatic sac shunt surgery before he went back into space. Has this CFI-G had that surgery? If not...
Question : Is is true that Ménière's disease tends to "burn" itself out. Does something change that tends to stop the vertigo attacks from happening as often?
Answer : In patients who chose not to undergo surgical treatments, it was found that over 50% reported complete control of vertigo at two years after the onset of symptoms.[which means nearly half did not have control] 71% of these patients reported complete control of vertigo after 8 years. [which means nearly a third did not have control] Thus, it is true that for some [but not all, not necessarily most, or maybe not even many] patients the attacks of vertigo will subside with time. ... Also be aware that the above data are "average" figures and there is considerable variation from patient to patient. Some patients may continue to have vertigo attacks for 20 years or more. [Source: [URL="http://oto2.wustl.edu/men/mnfaq.htm]"]http://oto2.wustl.edu/men/mnfaq.htm][/URL]
...I think 61.53(b)...
(b) Operations that do not require a medical certificate. For operations provided for in Sec. 61.23(b) of this part, a person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner.
... might apply in this case, so a wise choosing would be advisable.

Last edited:
No. It IS a grounding condition. He is illegal. I repeat, he is in violation of 67.313. Anything he logs is not legal. I rarely say this, but this is one of the ones over which FAA WILL do discipline.

"The CFIG" should either wait until the nystagmogram shows no input from the affected side (about a year, usually) so that the potential for the "spinning world" is gone.

I have had several a/m, for whom once it was VERY CLEAR that the opposite nerve is not affected, have had the vestibular nerve cut, to get back in the air.

Bruce: How does 67.313 apply to operations not requiring a medical certificate? I'm pretty sure he's in violation of 61.53(b), but since this is a Glider operation, not 67.313.

I did not recognize that this operation was a glider operation (I mistakenly interpreted this as a ground instructor). If it is a glider operation, there are no medical qualifiers at all. If he is flying, and teaching in the air, the CFI should be outed to his peers and to his club. Ron is right, 61.53 is being made a mockery..

As it turns out the OP emailed me, and it is the glider operation just southwest of Chicago. The obvious choice is to stand down for that CFI's operations.

(I mistakenly interpreted this as a ground instructor).
To my knowledge, there are no medical standards at all for a Ground Instructor other than the physical ability to manipulate the computer on which the GI knowledge tests are taken and to fill out and sign an 8710-1.

Yeah. I got the private email from the OP and this guy is actually instructing in gliders, in this condition. STUDENT pilots. He's in violation of 61.53 allright.

Her only alternative is to either (1) expose the guy or to just voluntarily "stand down" from him. In attorney speak, he/she is "proceeding counter to fact" with that knowledge.

It isn't for you, your eye sight is good enough to allow you to read, your vocal cords work, and you have hands to write with. Physically, this standard would disqualify some people.
Apparently your understanding of that requirement is different than the FAA's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back