Is it possible to be an aerobatic pilot with bipolar?

WernerV

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
j;klj;lkj;lkj;lj;lkj;lkj;lkj;ljk
I hope to be an aerobatic pilot (preferably flying Extra 300's), but I suffer from Bipolar Disorder and have a few questions as to the effect this will have. First and foremost: Do I even have a chance? If so, what hoops will I have to jump through? What are my odds of getting a special issuance for a 3rd class medical?

I haven't had any serious episodes except for in the 4th grade when I was admitted to a mental hospital for attempted suicide, but that wasn't the bipolar so much as extreme side effects to a medication I was on. I am now on a different medication and not showing any symptoms. Most don't even know I have bipolar, with the exception of those I've told.

Update: Thank you all for your comments, with the exception of some (i.e. flyingriki. That hurt.). This has been a big help. I just wanted to clarify a few things: When I said hadn’t had any “serious episodes”, I meant that I hadn’t had any episodes that would be on record. And while it is true that my disorder did correlate to some “overt actions”, as it were, I feel this is largely a special case, due to my young age at the time of diagnosis (I was diagnosed at 8). That is to say, I had tantrums, but who didn’t when they were little? All the bipolar served to do is perhaps increase the frequency of said tantrums and have them continue occurring until I was of a slightly older age, but now that I am older I am experiencing no symptoms whatsoever, let alone those strong enough to prompt the “overt actions” mentioned in FAA policy. I’m wondering if the FAA would overlook the suicide attempt, on account of it being caused by bad medication (the drug was Prozac, Google it for more info), and not something that would ever have happened ordinarily, even if the bipolar had gone untreated (and even then it was pretty half-assed—I sort of set things up so that I could commit suicide and then thought the better of it).

Last edited:
Only one person to ask about this one -- and do it before you fill out any forms.

http://home.comcast.net/~bbchien/site/

If anyone can get you certified, it's Doc Bruce. Conversely, if there's not a prayer's chance in hell of getting you certified, he'll be straight with you about that, too. Call him for a consult and be completely honest with him, and do it before you see any other AME or fill out a single form.

Good luck.

-Rich

I hope to be an aerobatic pilot (preferably flying Extra 300's), but I suffer from Bipolar Disorder and have a few questions as to the effect this will have. First and foremost: Do I even have a chance? If so, what hoops will I have to jump through? What are my odds of getting a special issuance for a 3rd class medical?

I haven't had any serious episodes except for in the 4th grade when I was admitted to a mental hospital for attempted suicide, but that wasn't the bipolar so much as extreme side effects to a medication I was on. I am now on a different medication and not showing any symptoms. Most don't even know I have bipolar, with the exception of those I've told.

As for the chance of getting a special issuance for a 3rd class medical, I understand that it is vanishingly small, unless it were somehow possible to establish that the diagnosis of bipolar disorder is incorrect. I understand that the pilot whose medical led to this case was able to subsequently convince the FAA that his diagnosis was wrong and get a special issuance medical for several years afterward. Do not apply for a medical without first consulting with an AME who specializes in difficult certification cases.

Fourth grade seems quite young for a diagnosis of bipolar. But, assuming your diagnosis is accurate, and the third-class medical is not an option, you might consider aerobatic gliders. No medical certificate is required (though you may not fly them when you medical condition renders this unsafe), and they seem like they would be a blast. You are also free to fly aerobatics in airplanes such as the Extra 300 with a flight instructor or another certified pilot. (I would say that you would owe it to your instructor or fellow pilot to disclose your condition, to make sure that they know to look for any unusual behavior and that they are comfortable with the situation.) Plenty of options for flying upside-down without a medical certificate.

You can bypass the whole medical issue by flying an ultralight designed for aerobatics. Were I in your position and had that desire, I'd do this:

1. Get training in an LSA that is most like the aerobatic ultralight(s) that I'd want to be flying. So long as no solo is desired in the LSA, no need even for a student pilot certificate.
  2. Acquire aerobatic capable ultralight, attach a ballistic parachute (doesn't count against the weight limit, fortunately) and maybe even wear one (no parachute requirements in ultralight regs, but a good idea.)
  3. Go practice flying in aerobatics in the ultralight, working one's way up in difficulty.
Utralights are supposed to be small enough and flown in areas where if you screw up with a fatal error, you should be the only fatality. You can go knock yourself out - or worse.

Example:

Ultralights are a good idea. But if you have a drivers license and you have not been denied a medical, I don't see why not you can go for your sport pilot license flying aerobatic LSAs. I think there are some aerobatic LSAs out there although there may not be that many I think.

Fourth grade seems quite young for a diagnosis of bipolar. But, assuming your diagnosis is accurate, and the third-class medical is not an option, you might consider aerobatic gliders. No medical certificate is required (though you may not fly them when you medical condition renders this unsafe),
I do not see the FAA accepting that someone with a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, with episodes (even if not "serious") while on meds to control it, with a history of a suicide attempt, passes the 61.53(b) "knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner" test to fly gliders. Same goes for Sport Pilot with a drivers license under 61.53(c)(2), which refers back to 61.53(b). I think this is one of those cases where someone has more problems than can be accommodated in aviation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back