Is it cheating

Because you are ridiculous and won't reconsider. Worse you won't shut up. You can't find as single FACT to back up a THING you expound.

You had the audacity to say that the solution to AA's problems was MORE devices. Incredible.

As for KTEX, every heard of "undergross operations?" BTDT.
You know, kid, you get to the bathroom at the airport by approaching it in an IFR protected corridor. IF you want to actually get to the bathroom....

Stay alive.....bye!

:popcorn:

BTW Bruce, ever try the decaffeinated brands? ;)

Last edited:
Because you are ridiculous and won't reconsider. Worse you won't shut up. You can't find as single FACT to back up a THING you expound, and it goes on for hundreds of posts. Your regard opinion as substituting for FACT.

You had the audacity to say that the solution to AA's problems was MORE devices. Incredible. I already related my observations as to crew in sims....and others see the same thing. The problem is the interaction of the devices with the human crew.

You know, kid, you get to the bathroom at the airport by approaching it in an IFR protected corridor. IF you want to actually get to the bathroom....if you do that you have an excellent chance of getting to the bathroom. Outside the corridors- not so much.

Stay alive.....bye!

OK, you want facts, I didn't want to pull this out, but I can offer INDISPUTABLE proof that professional pilots lose situational awareness all the time.

(Keep reading, don't say B.S. just yet)

Go to any large airport and look at all the dents in pilots airport cars.

Can you argue with that?

I don't know who snapped this picture, but I believe it's you on the climb out, proving you can perform an OEI "Undergross Operation" out of KTEX (Telluride).

No other way you and that Seneca were going to make it. However, I will give you credit for not using SVT.

http://www.clusterballoon.org/index/index_02.jpg

I don't know who snapped this picture, but I believe it's you on the climb out, proving you can perform an OEI "Undergross Operation" out of KTEX (Telluride).

No other way you and that Seneca were going to make it. However, I will give you credit for not using SVT.

http://www.clusterballoon.org/index/index_02.jpg

Nah. We use "Judgement." If we are loaded beyond the climb gradient, we don't go.

Our MAP altitude is adjusted upward for OEI climbout as well... I still can't see how SVT helps you stay in the corridor. Proper loading, turbochargers and redundancy, might, however......I suppose that's because I'm made out of clay. You must be made of that superior silicon stuff....

Unlike you, I've actually been there. You seem to have to use internet stock of armchair Larry.

Also, in a debate, if I am corrected, I say, "I am corrected. Thank you". You don't seem capable of that. Enjoy your virtual world.

Attachments

• HMSTelluride03.15.03a.JPG
    HMSTelluride03.15.03a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Unlike you, I've actually been there. You seem to have to use internet stock of armchair Larry.

Come on now. I'm just having a little fun.

I said DP not approach into KTEX BTW.

Jet engines would probably help the most, so where do you draw the line?

Reality is you have to do the best you can with what you've got and spend your money where you think it will benefit your operations the most. If I lived in IL I wouldn't own an aircraft that wasn't FIKI for example. However, in the mountains SVT increases safety IMO, just like I've said a 100 times.

Since I fly the Rockies year round in most weather, I will suggest to you (humbly of course) that ANY piston would be ill advised to attempt to fly traditional IFR operations on some days. Even turbocharged twins will encounter conditions beyond their capability up here, it happens every year, year after year. Often we are forced to use combinations of operations in pistons. For example: depart VFR, climb up through a hole picking up a clearance on the way up (as we pass through the MEA's), maybe topping in the high teens or twenties. Same thing coming down. Sometimes its better to cancel and circle down VFR through a hole, because flying an approach in the heavy icing in any piston would be suicide. Other times we fly low down a valley (not scud low), but VFR under the cloud layer, until we can find a way on top without turning into a popsicle.

We have a tongue and cheek saying up here, "When the weather's to bad for IFR go VFR". Funny, but there is a lot of truth to it.

I'll even invite you to come up in winter and you can see for yourself, why pistons need VFR, and therefore why SVT has value in our operations. There have been many, many, days I have used the above to come and go, when the only other traffic was well equipped turbines.

BTW- I live just south of KTEX and fly all around this area, but you haven't guessed anything right about me yet, so no surprise.

Some interesting DATA:

I dug through the ASRS system looking for places where "G1000" was in the text of the narrative, figuring I might find some reports where the G1000 "saved the day" with it's advanced features.

And, in fact, I did find cases where the TIS or TCAD features of the G1000 alerted people to traffic they hadn't spotted visually (in spite of their looking) and they were able to avoid a collision as a result.

On the other hand, I also found a case where a pilot with a G1000 system took off on the wrong runway and blew both main tires aborting his takeoff, and another case where an instructor got so mad at being refused flight following while his G1000 was showing lots of traffic that he cursed out a controller and received a pilot deviation as a result of the incident.

I found NO cases so far where "synthetic vision" or "SVT" was reported to have been helpful or harmful, and a few where transport-class TAWS systems provided timely warning to IFR flights - interestingly, ATC also issued alerts at the same time in those cases.

For those interested, the page link below takes you to the MTSU author's page, and at the bottom you will find abstracts on the articles under discussion.
http://mtweb.mtsu.edu/pcraig/paul publication/paul publication.html
One study found evidence to support that FITS training produced both a more efficient path to the private and instrument rating, as well as producing more conservative pilots when it came to go/no-do decision making, compared to traditional methods, even though both used glass cockpits.

Tends to reinforce the idea that technology is not itself a creator of safer pilots. What matters more is how they are taught.

Back