Is it a C-150 Simulating a Tomcat With Wings Folded?

K

KennyFlys

Yes, the thread title is a joke. But, we can joke about it now. Often, we usually do when the pilot survives. But, when a pilot dies after a crash and whether it's their mistake or otherwise, we bow our heads and hold back the criticism.

We've had a pilot visit with us this last week while he flew the area doing aerial photography in a Cessna 150. He's an accomplished pilot and has been for many years. Like myself, he took a long break from flying then returned a few years ago at the allure of his current job.

He put down at a small airport here in Texas and had lunch while getting full fuel. After an hour down, he began departure. During his takeoff roll winds went from nearly aligned with the runway to a direct crosswind and gusted to well over twenty knots.

One gentleman told me several pilots were commenting on the wind and sudden gusts. Shortly after that, a man is seen walking across the runway toward the terminal. No one had seen the plane go down but they knew why it was so easy to happen.

He had lifted about ten feet off when he was rocked violently to the right and could not recover. The plane went into the field along the runway where he continued to roll into a group of trees.

You can see where both wings were folded back not unlike an F-14 Tomcat's scissor wings. The wind screen popped out like a cork with nothing to hold it back. Both fuel tanks were ruptured. Fortunately, there was no fire as quite a bit of fuel poured into the cabin.

He couldn't open the door so he climbed through the newly created hole from the missing windscreen. Badly shaken, he escaped and got away from the plane.

I suppose it could have been avoided had he simply stayed on the ground. But then, you can't always predict what winds are going to do. I constantly watch them whip back and forth between downwind and crosswind. Sometimes, I joke that the new runway is going to force me to cut back on crosswind practice. I've improved greatly since I've been here.

At least this pilot is alive and safe. He's probably sleeping on pins tonight awaiting an interview with the NTSB and FAA on top of thanking God he's still here to go home to his wife. I spent some time with him over the last few days at dinners and talked quite a bit.

When he called asking for a ride to get back to my airport, he told he had an accident. I never expected to see what you're about to see. He said it was pretty much totaled, my still thinking it wasn't that bad. My first view was indeed a shock.

I'm glad he's safe. I don't do well with death as a few of you know. My boss has watched friends die in crashes at my airport. I fear the day will come when I'll witness the same. It's come pretty close, once already. This one pushes it home a bit more.

If you're not proficient in crosswind operations, get a competent CFI and go work on them. Not so you can takeoff in stronger winds but so you can be better prepared for those sudden changes in direction and gusts.

Attachments

• DSC_0464.JPG
    DSC_0464.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0465.JPG
    DSC_0465.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0467.JPG
    DSC_0467.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0470.JPG
    DSC_0470.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0471.JPG
    DSC_0471.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0473.JPG
    DSC_0473.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0474.JPG
    DSC_0474.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0475.JPG
    DSC_0475.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0476.JPG
    DSC_0476.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0477.JPG
    DSC_0477.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0478.JPG
    DSC_0478.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 25
wow - I guess that's a perfect example of the guidance for landing in trees, hoping to let the wings absorb the hit and hope the fuselage remains intact. Glad he walked away from that!

I saw a crash like this is a zenith homebuilt, and the guy walked away just the same. pretty amazing that with only seat belts a full speed (well, faster than cars at least) crash can be easily walked away from, but in a car you will probably have the jaws of life on your car.

But hopefully that engine can be saved. that is probably worth the most in that plane, along with the avionics, he should be able to sell for enough to combine with insurance to buy something a little better.

here is the link: http://www.ch601.org/stories/croke_crash.htm

Good judgement beats crosswind skills. Perhaps that wind came out of nowhere, but usually they don't. I'd fly in such conditions with a gun to my head, but that's about it. Glad the pilot came out OK.

That's the Cessna C-150N. N for Naval variant. :rolleyes:

This is an unfortunate example of how important it is to know beyond what your aircraft is capable of but also what you as a pilot are capable of.

Remember it is not just what the wind speed is but also the difference between the wind speed and the gusts themselves. The winds are predictable, the gusts are not. There is a difference between what the airplane will do with a 3 knot gust compared to a 10 or more knot gust. Cessna 150s are great airplanes but they do resemble a localizer aka "sensitive." Keep this in mind the next time you want to tackle cross winds that are on the edge of your limits.

Last edited:
Excellent comparison, Tristan. There are times I wish I that three-thousand pound 182 at my disposal.

Back