Is Gander Mountain That Stupid?

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I stopped in to Gander Mountain the other day to price out some ammo, and also to look at the Gen 3 Glock 23 vs. the. Gen. 4 Glock 23.

I can get a Gen 4 Glock 23 from Cabela's for $499.99, but I will probably get it from a local shop that I like for $550.

Gander Mountain's price? $769.99!!!

I asked sarcastically if it was made out of gold, and the salesman said "You raise a good point. Our Glock pistols are known to be a little over priced. However, if you see it advertised by any of our neighbors for less, we'll match their price."

In what world does this guy think I would bring my business to his overpriced shop? :mad::mad::no:

I hate ****ing idiots. :mad:

Then buy it from Cabelas, or take them up on their price match guarantee. I don't see the dilemma.

I don't give my business to people who think their customers are ****ing idiots.

How many of those overpriced glocks do they have to sell to make up for the loss of your business? How many glocks do they sell each year?

How many of those overpriced glocks do they have to sell to make up for the loss of your business? How many glocks do they sell each year?

Yep. Let's say the other guys make $50/pistol and Gander makes $350. I think the ratio of idiots to non-idiots favors Gander's business model.

I don't give my business to people who think their customers are ****ing idiots.

You're shopping at a corporate chain, and are surprised when they treat you like an idiot? That's the very definition of corporate chains. :dunno:

Find your locally owned, locally operated...anything. Restaurant, hotel, gun shop, clothing store. Real people treat you like...real people.

I can get a Gen 4 Glock 23 from Cabela's for $499.99, but I will probably get it from a local shop that I like for $550.

On one hand you call Gander Mountain idiots for selling a product for a higher price, on the other hand you give your business to a shop that charges a higher price than you can get at Cabelas. Got it. :mad2: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
People are gun crazy right now. Some bozo will buy that weapon and they will have to restock for the next guy.

Gander is all over the places on prices. At least in our local store 75% of the guys working the firearm counter are complete idiots. I pointed out that they have guns on display for sale that are the subject of a rather serious recall (they will fire when releasing the safety) which hasn't been performed (you can tell by looking at the rear of the firing pin assembly if it's been fixed or not). They were like "Yeah, so what?" Means they don't move that stock too quickly, my version of the same gun which was bought used was apparently purchased AFTER they started fixing them at the factory.

Slightly tangential...

This is quite similar to what we see in the classifieds here when people list a used item for 90% of what a new one would cost and people actually buy it for, presumably, somewhere quite close to the asking price. Many times warranties don't transfer to the second owner. Why would someone take that risk for a 10-15% savings? Even if the warranty does transfer I'm still buying new.

We see it frequently: "New they're $1,000, I'll take $900", and within an hour it's sold.

My personal benchmark is the most I'll pay is 50% to 65% of the new price if the product in in good condition and, if electronics, not obsolete. Maybe 75% very maximum if it's like new in the box. Higher than that, it's not worth the risk to me and I'll buy new, thanks.

This is also how I price items I'm seling.

Gander is all over the places on prices.

Yes, they are.

I get both physical and online flyers from them, and often the advertised prices on firearms are quite reasonable.

In fact, we use a Gander Mountain MasterCard and get monthly coupons of $40 to $80. Save up for even a handful of months and one can end up with a firearm for "free"!

So, what's the TBO on a Glock?
I looked all through Trade-A-Plane and couldn't find one.

The point is ,if you are a shopper and know prices,they will match the lower price. What is the problem.

No TBO on a Glock. Its RTW (rounds through weapon). ;)

Glocks are tough. Reports vary as to how many RTW before accuracy degrades or parts failure. Minimal maintenance ( springs & slide stops) and they are good for 100,000 RTW or more.

Given that you can get a Gen 4 Glock 23 from Cabela's for $499.99, but will probably get it from a local shop that you like for $550, some people probably think you are a ****ing idiot.

Althought my local gun store has pretty good prices, if I shop around I might get a new gun cheaper. But I buy my new firearms from the local store because I'm also paying for their help/expertise as well as the convenience of them being 3 miles from my house (and any help with warranty problems).

Althought my local gun store has pretty good prices, if I shop around I might get a new gun cheaper. But I buy my new firearms from the local store because I'm also paying for their help/expertise as well as the convenience of them being 3 miles from my house (and any help with warranty problems).

Very true, and I totally agree. I just don't think calling one over priced company "****ing idiots" is smart when you turn around and buy from a more expensive shop. Its not always about cost, its about value. The gun shop you patronize adds VALUE to the transaction. ;)

Geez if people don't already own all the guns they need they have failed.:lol:

Well, the nearest Cabelas to me is a five hour drive (which is not impossible) and in another state (which means that while I can buy long guns there, I can't buy pistols). Local gun shops vary between good deals and those who only sell stuff at MSRP.

Well, the nearest Cabelas to me is a five hour drive (which is not impossible) and in another state (which means that while I can buy long guns there, I can't buy pistols). Local gun shops vary between good deals and those who only sell stuff at MSRP.

Why would you drive? After all, you are Flying Ron! :dunno: :lol:

Given that you can get a Gen 4 Glock 23 from Cabela's for $499.99, but will probably get it from a local shop that you like for $550, some people probably think you are a ****ing idiot.

Not really, he gave a reason of supporting local economy by spending 10% more, but thinks a 50% premium is excessive for mail order. That is actually demonstrating wisdom and foresight.

Not really, he gave a reason of supporting local economy by spending 10% more, but thinks a 50% premium is excessive for mail order. That is actually demonstrating wisdom and foresight.

"Wisdom & foresight" to refer to the company as "****ing idiots.". Got it. :rolleyes:

"Wisdom & foresight" to refer to the company as "****ing idiots.". Got it. :rolleyes:

The current system of consumer economics is primarily populated with ****ing idiots. A propensity of "****ing Idiots" is at the core essence of Barnumism.

Why would you drive? After all, you are Flying Ron! :dunno: :lol:

Wouldn't be much faster. It's a 30 minute drive to the nearest airport.

Still doesn't get around the fact that as a non-resident of that state, I can't buy a handgun there.

I could mail order it, but then I'd pay shipping and at this point an FFL fee which probably will eat up any savings. Now Gander and Bass Pro both have outlets in my state, so even if I end up buying a weapon online from them, I can have it delivered to the store and pick it up there.

Not that I don't like Cabela's. I even have a Cabela's VISA card (amusingly they issued the actual card in the store, pretty neat). But the fact that they don't have an outlet in my state makes firearms purchases a pretty non starter.

I find both Gander Mountain and Cabelas to be outrageous with pricing, especially for guns. Sometimes they will even price used guns higher than the same model new, that is already high.

I either use my locat shop, or buy online, and have it transferred through a local FFL holder.

Nevertheless, there are probably some people who think him a ****ing idiot for that.

The point is ,if you are a shopper and know prices,they will match the lower price. What is the problem.

I think his problem is parallel to:

When I was still in business, I ran a LOT of blueprints (except they're not true "blueprints" or "blue lines" any longer, they're just 24"x36" copies.)

The local staples that was right around the corner charged $2 per copy. The locally owned "real" engineering reprographics shop charged 50 cents. Problem was they were all the way across town. So if I just needed a few prints I'd stop at staples. If I was bidding a job and running dozens of sets then I'd deal with the local guys.

One day I was in Staples and told the mgr...who I had gotten to know well..."you know, if you were competitive with your pricing I'd have a lot more printing done here."

He asked how much I was paying and I told him, he said "I can match that."

"And you can still make money at that price point?"

"Yep"

"So, you can make money at 50 cents and will do so, but will charge me $2 until I prove to you that I know you're f***ing me? No thanks, I deal with the guys who don't f*** me in the first place."

An ancillary consideration is that in construction "bid shopping" and matching prices is considered unethical and basically the retail "price match guarantee" is the equivalent of this so construction people tend to frown on it more than others.

Last edited:
I stopped in to Gander Mountain the other day to price out some ammo, and also to look at the Gen 3 Glock 23 vs. the. Gen. 4 Glock 23.

Gander Mountain's price? $769.99!!!

I asked sarcastically if it was made out of gold, and the salesman said "You raise a good point. Our Glock pistols are known to be a little over priced. However, if you see it advertised by any of our neighbors for less, we'll match their price."

In what world does this guy think I would bring my business to his overpriced shop? :mad::mad::no:

I hate ****ing idiots. :mad:

I never shop at Gander unless there is one thing I need right before the season and Gander is close to me. Ammo, you need to go to Mills Fleet Farm in Germantown. I have found them to have the best prices of anywhere in the state. For that matter, most of my hunting shopping has been done there the past few years.

And from where Cabelas is located and where Stan lives, he has to make 2 separate trips there to get the pistol. Wisconsin has a 3 day waiting period. The savings of his time and the gas driving there will make it less than a $50 price difference.

You don't use banks?

ROFLMAO. So true. Let's not even mention whether or not you utilize these overpriced things called "lawmakers". ;)

Depends on if you run it lean of peak. :)

Geez if people don't already own all the guns they need they have failed.:lol:

Yeah... same thing with anyone who has two sports cars or two airplanes or two houses.

We can't have that kind of greed in the U.S. -- you're keeping money away from the politicians who'll give it to the children... after they take their cut. You unfair bastards that worked for that money to buy things you like are evil.

And don't you forget it. It's everyone else's business how you spend it, and if you're spending it on extra guns, extra cars, extra houses, extra things in general... the Party wishes to have a talk with you about being "reeducated". You're evil for having made it, no need to look at how. :)

You've used more than your "fair" allotment in the Five Year Plan, Comrade. A Party Member with a nice Dacha has decreed so.

you need to go to Mills Fleet Farm in Germantown.

Wow, how I miss that place since I'm no longer working up north. There was a brand new (and huge) one a block away from one of my projects in the Appleton area (in Grand Chute actually). It's a man's man store! It's like having a Bass Pro, Tractor Supply, Lowe's, NAPA, and Aldi's under one roof. Only with far better quality goods than most of the aforementioned and very competitive prices.

Great local chain.

You're shopping at a corporate chain, and are surprised when they treat you like an idiot? That's the very definition of corporate chains. :dunno:

Find your locally owned, locally operated...anything. Restaurant, hotel, gun shop, clothing store. Real people treat you like...real people.

Unfortunately, I've had more customer service "strikeouts" with local businesses than big chain stores. At least the chains generally seem willing to stand behind the product they sell and price match if they're way out of line. That has not been my experience with the mom and pop. In my area, most mom and pops have a "take it or leave it" attitude, but don't mind expressing their displeasure with having to compete with the national chains. The big box stores are far from faultless, but at least I know that if a product or service is unsatisfactory, there's a pretty good chance I'll get my money back.

The one BIG EXCEPTION to my chain experience is with restaurants. The national chains have REALLY jacked up their prices and decreased the quality of their food over the past year or so. Local eateries were generally always better, but it's to the point where I'll go out of my way to avoid throwing money away for substandard product at a national chain restaurant. I haven't found one chain that's immune (sorry, Chick-fil-a, who is possibly one of the worst offenders... just under $10 for a fast-food sandwich combo meal out in God's country is crazy.)

With that being said, I will pay a little more (not significantly more) to a business who provides better service--whether that business is a big chain or a local shop.

JKG

I find both Gander Mountain and Cabelas to be outrageous with pricing, especially for guns. Sometimes they will even price used guns higher than the same model new, that is already high.

I either use my locat shop, or buy online, and have it transferred through a local FFL holder.

Cabela's is hit and miss. When I was down in Kentucky, I found an Arsenal SGL21 in the gun library that they didn't know what it was and as such, was under priced. I snapped that thing up quickly, then they realized what a great deal it was, and sold it anyway.

Talking about guns, what a farce this Michigan handgun registration crap is when you move to Michigan. Local PD has no idea what they are doing with it.

Back