Is G.A. a sport, or is it a hobby? What?

What is flying to me?

• It's a sport.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • It's a hobby

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • It's my business

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I fly aerobatic, it's a sport.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I fly aerobatic, it's a hobby.

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
I never thought of flying as being that difficult to learn. You can become a reasonably skilled pilot in 100 hours or so. Compare that to playing the piano. I knew a piano teacher who told me that for someone who has a decent amount of natural aptitude for the piano, it would take 1500 hours to "start sounding like a pianist", and 6000 or more hours before they could play some of the more advanced classical music.

Granted, there are some people who just shouldn't fly, but I think most of us could become decent pilots.

Hmm good point. And I know lifelong golfers that seriously suck. (I don't play. I saw how bad I sucked and never went again. Heh.)

I guess what I meant is it's something you really need to bring at least your B+ game if not your A game to every time or you'll get hurt. You can suck at golf your whole life and as long as you don't hit someone with a ball or a club, you can remain a D student and you might even still enjoy it.

Be a D student at flying and it won't be enjoyable. That for sure.

Flying is most definitely a passion. It's a passion that always has something to teach you, whether it's about the airplane or yourself. It's not about where you are headed, but how you get there!

-VanDy

Haha, you guys got me to open it up and play something. It doesn't sound bad to me, just kinda like a honky-tonk. But I may have a tin ear.

ouch. If it sounds "honky-tonk" that is not a good sign.

Don't get me wrong. It's pretty easy to correct. It's probably a semi-tone flat (or more), and probably could use some action work. A few tunings to bring it up to standard pitch and it'll be good as new. That can be done any time.

anyway, back to the main subject of the thread....

ouch. If it sounds "honky-tonk" that is not a good sign.

Don't get me wrong. It's pretty easy to correct. It's probably a semi-tone flat (or more), and probably could use some action work. A few tunings to bring it up to standard pitch and it'll be good as new. That can be done any time.

anyway, back to the main subject of the thread....

Seeing as it has not been tuned in, I'm guessing at least 25 years if not more, I'm not surprised. I don't mind how it sounds. :goofy:

Pianos aren't required to have annuals although if I was a real musician or even a fake one it would probably be a good idea. :D

Back