is avgas a thing of the past?

eric_ocean

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
osprey1
i was reading the other day...." no avgas in 10 or 15 years"? due to the problems with making it (cost, clean up , chemicals...etc) ......AGE85....DIESEL skyhawks and pipers?....is this true?

AvGas sales volume at our airport has declined by around 50% in the last decade. We are seeing a lot of the piston engined business planes being replaced by jets and turbo-props.

One should note that the big issue is not avgas in general, but the tetraethyl lead in avgas. Since no avgas currently available in the USA is lead-free, EPA wants us to "get the lead out," and we're currently operating under an exemption from the rules prohibiting leaded fuels, lead in avgas is the problem for us. But there is some good news out there.

First, there is already a 92 octane unleaded avgas available in some parts of Europe. This will serve for all 80/87 octane engines (like Continental O-200's) and those engines originally certified for the old 91/96 octane avgas (like 160 HP O-320's and 180 HP O-360's), but it won't work for the high compression engines like the 200 HP IO-360's and the turbocharged types which require 100 octane fuel. Thus far, the petrochemists haven't been able to produce a 100 octane unleaded avgas, and that's what's holding things up.

Second, a 100 octane unleaded auto fuel is now being produced by Sunoco for NASCAR racing. This new Sunoco 260 GTX was race-tested in some Busch series races this summer -- very successfully, according to a correspondant who works in the Joe Gibbs Racing engine shop, I don't see why this fuel cannot be adapted to aviation use. Thus, there is reasonable hope for a 100UL avgas in the foreseeable future. That would resolve the situation for us.

Thanks Mr. Levy!
thats the kinda answer i was looking for....Bravo!
e

I'm curious what the difference is between the 101 Octane cargas I can buy up the road here in Albuquerque for $4.50 a gallon, and the 100 Octane Avgas I buy for my plane, besides lead and cost.

SkyHog said:
I'm curious what the difference is between the 101 Octane cargas I can buy up the road here in Albuquerque for $4.50 a gallon, and the 100 Octane Avgas I buy for my plane, besides lead and cost.

Mogas and Avgas use a diffrent methods to define the Octane number:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating said:
Measurement methods

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel through a specific test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of isooctane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.
In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-95 (regular) in Europe.

So basicly 101 RON Mo-gas is aproxmatly = to 96 MON AvGas. Still not high enough for all Av Useage assuming it was held to the same handling, composition and storage requirments of AvGas. (see the wikipedia text for details on those)

Missa

Last edited:
Back