Is anybody already thinking about OSH, 2008?

colomtnflyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
iAM in AK!
I am! :yes:

Since I have to commit my vacation time for the entire year by Jan1, I'm committing one week for OSH. Haven't been for a couple of years, so it's time to get back there!

I fly in the day before the show starts, enjoy for 3 days, then bolt the next morning, before the weekend craziness! :goofy:

I usually camp with the plane, in the area between the Hilton and Kermit Weeke's hangar. I choose that area because it's close to restauarants :drink: , the "all you can eat breakfast" in the Hilton, and it seems to be the last area to fill up, so it's a bit quieter. No lines waiting for showers or toilets is also a plus :redface: . (Better water pressure than the red shack across the field) The one disadvantage is the time spent on the buses getting to the show entrance. So I bring my bicycle!

In the past, I have hosted a Spag dinner with the fixin's for those friends camping nearby. Anybody wishing to join in is more than welcome! (Bring Wine/Beer/whatever to drink! :wineglass: )

Just wanted to get on board for next year.... B)

ric, thats where kent, kate, leah and i were at this year. may have to join you next year!

I plan to be there for the week.

You've let out the best kept secret of where to camp with your plane at OSH, btw....;)

How close is that to the "drunk karaoke" hotel? We got stuck on that side one year and couldn't sleep half the night due to the loud music. *those punk kids!*

I'd like to go to Osh but I save my money for the 3-4 big POA flyins

1) Wings FlyBQ
2) POA glide-a-thon
3) Gastons
4) 6Y9er

Osh has got to be a blast. But the folks at the POA flyins are ...well they are just the finest folks around. Time with them is always well spent.

Definitely planning for next year already. Last year was a frekin blast! Had almost all the firsts, besides having been to OSH before.
-First year flying myself to OSH
-First year flying in a mass arrival (B2OSH)
-First year flying IN an OSH showcase flight
-First year camping at OSH

Just one hell of a trip. Not sure it can top 2007 though. :)

We'll most likely be there again. Hopefully in our own plane! But we'll probably cheat and stay with my relatives in Oshkosh, Neenah, or Fond du Lac. Though we actually found our first time camping at 6Y9 this year enjoyable!

I don't remember a year in the past 5 when there hasn't been a T-Storm during the week, and I'm not sure I feel like dealing with that. OTOH, I DO miss the camaraderie that those who camp seem to have! But having a nice bed and a hot shower with no line? Priceless!

We'll most likely be there again. Hopefully in our own plane! But we'll probably cheat and stay with my relatives in Oshkosh, Neenah, or Fond du Lac. Though we actually found our first time camping at 6Y9 this year enjoyable!

Grant,

If you have a 182, there's no excuse NOT to camp at OSH! It's like 6Y9, only with better shower facilities, lots of food and shopping nearby if you need anything, and 10,000 of your closest flying friends camping along with you. :yes:

Oh, and don't forget, the best alarm clock in the world: Three engines turning at 2900 RPM on the Ford Trimotor. Works every time. :D

I'll be there :) and will be looking for a ride with Grant and Leslie. I like the south side where you can get a bit of sleep and it's a lot closer to the showers.

Hope to meet up with a lot more folks this year.

Dave :blueplane:

Well, it's official! We did our first round of vacation bids last week, and I won my request to get the OSH week off! WOO HOO!!!!!

So, unless fate (and aircraft MX) intervenes, the plan is on!

Flying in on Sun, July 27th, departing Thur, July 31st.
Camping in the area described in the first post.
All comers Spaghetti Dinner ...oh, lets say -Tuesday, the 29th!
(BYOB/W or other libation of choice.)
Happy Hour? That'll be when ever I'm at the plane! Stop by!

Aircraft- N8133M, C-310-I Wht/w Silver + Blue Stripes
(as seen on my profile)

Maybe I'll even try to put together a POA flag to mark the spot!

I'll probably rent a couple rooms in a house again. That's a nice way to go. And then rent a car for, among other things, the obligatory dinner at Kodiak Jacks.

I always fly in and out of Appleton because I do NOT want to be in the OSH conga line for departure if the weather stinks on my departure day. Although this year I had to fly in circles around ATW until I got to 8000 feet, at which point I could fly south. And even then I just about got T-boned by a couple of P-51s.

I'm fired up about going, though I may drive again.

Has anyone here volunteered at AirVenture? If so, what are the chances I could work on the flightline - is that reserved for long-term volunteers? I'm not sure I could stand volunteering and not being around the aircraft.

Has anyone here volunteered at AirVenture? If so, what are the chances I could work on the flightline - is that reserved for long-term volunteers? I'm not sure I could stand volunteering and not being around the aircraft.

I've worked the "welcome wagon" crews for homebuilders, and the "protect our planes" crew over the years. I've been unsuccessful at breaking into the medical crew - nobody ever got back to me.

I think volunteering inside the gates is a very good thing, I have good memories from it.

I volunteered this year, and it was a blast. I had the advantage of being with my grandson's other grandfather who is a pilot, a homebuilder, lives in Fond Du Lac, has a house with central air, and a wife who cooks up a storm! What more could you want? Well, here is more: he is an EAA OSH member and volunteers regularly at OSH. So it was easy for him to get me on the flightline volunteer list.

I was stationed at the top of the Ditch, and I had a ball directing planes to and fro. I saw the LSA prang it on attempting a landing on 18R; the Trimotor went in and out about a dozen times. (I'd like to say I ground controlled the Trimotor, but the fact is he goes where he wants and my job was to keep other traffic out of his way!) Glacier Girl snuck up on me from behind. What a pretty plane, I'll take one!

I strongly recommend you volunteer, and if you don't know someone from EAA Oshkosh probably the best way to do it is to walk in to the flightline shack (North end of Warbird Parking, approx...) and strike up a conversation. They need help - experienced or not - and will most likely be able to schedule you right then and there. If you have no volunteer experience at OSH, they will pair you with a more experienced person and put you in a location where four eyes are better than two.

I really enjoyed being part of the show as much as attending it!

-Skip

Last edited:
Ditto what Skip said. The aircraft "directors" on the flight line get to see all the action. Other locations to work around planes are in the parking areas. Locate the volunteer coordinator for the particular area you're interested in and "sign up".

I've worked the WB area since '99, mainly in -51 parking, but have helped with jets, liasion, and bombers. Also did a few days at the seaplane base. It helps to have previous flightline experience, but not mandatory. Main thing is don't get frustrated the first time out not getting to do exactly what you think you can do. It takes time to build confidence in newbies' abilities, particularly around moving aircraft. But it has its rewards, getting to meet some of the most interesting personalities associated with aviation, both old and young. I've met astronauts, WWII aces, airshow stars, and their families. And you might get a hop in an attending aircraft. I've gotten a ride in an HU-16 Albatross (complete with water landings), a C-47, and a P-51 (in a two ship formation) over the years. I couldn't pay for experiences like that.

I always fly in and out of Appleton because I do NOT want to be in the OSH conga line for departure if the weather stinks on my departure day. Although this year I had to fly in circles around ATW until I got to 8000 feet, at which point I could fly south. And even then I just about got T-boned by a couple of P-51s.
I recommend arriving 10 minutes before the airport closes on Friday. No speed restrictions, you get to buzz Fiske at max speed with the gear up, and you can chat all you want with ATC :)

I didn't get into any lines, other than the one I encountered when I was trying to go visit some friends in Chicago on Friday evening after the P-51 crash. Long story, but sitting at the hold short line, fully knowing that the airport would close at sundown (in 3 minutes), watching a plane take off every 10 seconds from one runway, and finally getting cleared for take-off as one of the very last planes to leave that airport that evening, I've probably seen one of the most stressful, longest, craziest lines yet. Pays to be IFR sometimes - I had some guy with a truck clear a path for me through a LONG line of VFR aircraft.

I can't make it next year :( There's always Gaston's, though.

-Felix

Hey, I did that on Saturday... :)

Straight in from FDL :p

Roll to the end of 36 and don't stop til we're in "the spot".

They coned off the runway after we cleared the threshold.

We left Sunday morning and got in a conga line to 27. I think it was at most 15 minutes from startup to lift off. The flagman was almost too nonchalant with the wave off.B)

I recommend arriving 10 minutes before the airport closes on Friday. No speed restrictions, you get to buzz Fiske at max speed with the gear up, and you can chat all you want with ATC :)

-Felix

Hey, I did that on Saturday... :)

Straight in from FDL :p

Roll to the end of 36 and don't stop til we're in "the spot".

They coned off the runway after we cleared the threshold.

We left Sunday morning and got in a conga line to 27. I think it was at most 15 minutes from startup to lift off. The flagman was almost too nonchalant with the wave off.B)
Yeah, I heard. We should get an award for most last-minute arrival.

Then again, I was lucky to get in at all. We thought for some reason that the airport would have normal hours on Friday and only realized about 1 hour into our 3 our flight that it was closing early. At that point, our ETA was 7:53pm. Pretty intense 2 hours...

Any way I can trade a ride in the V-Tail for one in your IAR? :yes:

-Felix

Our Garmin 96 was telling us the same thing inbound. We were preparing to divert to FDL and fortunately the tailwind picked up the further north we got leaving MO.

You're already on the IAR list for 3M0... ;)

Yeah, I heard. We should get an award for most last-minute arrival.

Then again, I was lucky to get in at all. We thought for some reason that the airport would have normal hours on Friday and only realized about 1 hour into our 3 our flight that it was closing early. At that point, our ETA was 7:53pm. Pretty intense 2 hours...

Any way I can trade a ride in the V-Tail for one in your IAR? :yes:

-Felix

Thinking about it! I'm here!! Heading back to Dallas later today. They are working on all the runways but 18/36 right now. Had to do a slam dunk GPS 18 Friday coming in. Winds were 270 at 15 gusting to 30 and Chicago Center didn't want to fool with me, so, they turned me in on vectors to final pretty close to the FAF. Can you say 180 from opposite direction pretty close to the final course and 322KS ARE YOU ESTABLISHED ON THE APPROACH YET; CALL TOWER. Not a big deal because ceilings were about 6 to 800 feet, but a challenge.

But probably won't make it when the big event is here. Probably taking the girls to Hawaii again this year. That just seems to be when they can get off both work and school.

Best,

Dave

Our Garmin 96 was telling us the same thing inbound. We were preparing to divert to FDL and fortunately the tailwind picked up the further north we got leaving MO.

You're already on the IAR list for 3M0... ;)
Great. Looking forward to it!

Definitely planning on heading up again. Probably staying with relatives in the area again, we just don't know who yet. Certainly hoping to volunteer. I've a friend who's worked the flight line for a few years now, so I may be able to get that. If the start align properly and we don't get cold feet, we may be able to fly up in our own plane next year. If not, maybe we'll fly up in a rental.

After AirVenture, we're planning on heading North. As in Alaska!

Never been and will in due course, would love to make there in '08! Long trip from this part of the world!

Dear wife and I hope to trailer down and spend the week there. :yes:

I just have to promise to stop at a few quilt stores along the way. :hairraise:

Keith

Well, it's now barely 6 months away... Is it too early to file a flight plan? (lol)

I see some new people maybe making the trek to airplane mecca (I hope my use of that term doesn't offend those of the middle eastern religions) for their first time! It will be great to meet them....

Plans are moving forward as previously described...

I...am...so...there. I went last year for my first time. It was unbelievable...don't have any better words for it. I stayed in a hotel, but I plan on camping the North 40 this year. Wife thinks I am crazy for camping, but I have camped in the past and am looking forward to the comraderie with fellow pilots.

As time gets closer,we all definitely need to arrange a meet-up.

Oshkosh! Boo yah!!:goofy:

I...am...so...there. I went last year for my first time. It was unbelievable...don't have any better words for it. I stayed in a hotel, but I plan on camping the North 40 this year. Wife thinks I am crazy for camping, but I have camped in the past and am looking forward to the comraderie with fellow pilots.

Camping no matter where is really the best. The show never really ends there are just the hours when the vendors are there.

The Nort' 40 is the place to be. Dianna is the ring leader. :D

Back