Irony

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
two commercials back to back last night really struck me as ironic...

Cable TV company commercial: Comcast Digital Voice provides cheaper telephone service than the telephone company (Qwest)

followed by

Telephone company commercial: Qwest Direct TV provides cheaper television programming than the cable TV company (Comcast)

It reminds me of a time in January of, I believe 2004, possibly 2005. I was delivering magazine ad proofs to CNN. That same week one of the radio news bites oft announced was about Fox News surpassing CNN in Neilson ratings. The proof was a promo ad stating CNN was the highest rated cable news programming. The fine print at the bottom cited a ratings period two months prior.

two commercials back to back last night really struck me as ironic...

That reminds me of a place I went a couple of years ago. I was delivering rolls of paper which were unusually heavy for their size. So, I asked the guy who unloaded me what it was being used for.

The answer? Junk mail. But there's no irony in that. However, he did tell me that they wrap everything in black plastic as soon as it's made, in case their customers come to visit. Why? They're working for the competition too! He pointed at several rows where outbound flyers were waiting on pallets, wrapped in black plastic.

This was during the presidential campaign a couple of years ago. He pointed out that one row of pallets contained John Kerry materials, and the row right next to it was George W. Bush materials.

"It's like that all the time," he said. "Pepsi and Coke. Miller and Bud. We're working for both sides of the competition most of the time."

The worst example he gave me, though... "A row of Camel ads, a row of Marlboro ads... And right down the middle... American Lung Association." :eek: :rofl:

Back