iron deficiency

U

Unregistered

i am a vegetarian and have struggled on and off with mild iron deficiency. recently i have had symptoms again (tired no matter how much sleep i get, always cold). i am going to my doctor next week to talk about this and hopefully get my iron levels tested, but i am wondering how this could affect my third class medical. i am otherwise young and healthy.

Not sure why you don't try vitamins and iron supplements?

I have in the past, but they make me nauseous so i tend to stop taking them. I'm not really concerned with how to treat this (I will either start taking supplemental iron again or begin eating meat -- I already eat plenty of sources of non-heme iron). I am more concerned with how a record of anemia/low iron could affect my next medical.

I'm not a doctor, but it my understanding that there are other non-dietary reasons that could cause anemia/low iron. And those reasons are serious enough that I recommend you consult your doctor.

but i am wondering how this could affect my third class medical. i am otherwise young and healthy.

Health first, fly later.

Work with your doc to address the deficiencies you describe. Follow their plan to the successful end. Then do a consult with your AME to see what if anything you need to bring with you to the FAA. If your AME is worth his fee, he'll take your call to answer questions like this.

I've been a vegetarian for a quarter century. You aren't anemic because you don't eat meat. Get some damn help.

I appreciate everyone's concern. As a "women of childbearing age" the lack of heme iron in my diet can actually lead to anemia -- Not quite the same as a vegetarian male. Regardless, I already have an appointment with my physician to confirm that this is what is causing the problem, and will do what it takes to fix it. I just want to make sure that I also get whatever test results/information is necessary so that I do not run into problems with my medical in the future.

I took slow-release iron supplements when I was pregnant, and they helped, and did not make me nauseous. I didn't even realize how tired I was until I started taking them and felt so much better. Hope you find something to help you.

I just want to make sure that I also get whatever test results/information is necessary so that I do not run into problems with my medical in the future.

Remind your PCP that you're a pilot. Ask for copies of lab results. Ask for a status letter written in very plain language saying when he saw you, what he did to check you out, what did he find, and what is he doing about it. If medication is prescribed, have that listed with dosage/frequency. Make sure he indicates that you are doing well on the meds and that there are no side effects.

Bring a copy of the FAA permitted medication list with you and share that. Objective is to not be prescribed something verboten and opt for one that is. List can be found on the AOPA site.

For the ultimate advice, reach out to Dr. Bruce at aeromedicaldoc@comcast.net.

He'll do a blood count and see how anemic you are. Below 10.0 is grounding. Vegetarian or Vegan? The deficiencies that they get are different!

Dr. Bruce, Thank you! Just the information I was looking for. I'm vegetarian, but do not eat much dairy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back