IR training update

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I haven't had a lesson in a while, but have been on a few training flights with another IR student, we take turns under hood and safety pilot. He seems to be a pretty good pilot, so I now feel pretty good riding with him.

We've been practicing VOR tracking, entering holds from various positions, and shooting practice VOR and ILS approaches. So far, my approaches are inconsistant, some days I look like a hero, some days a goat. I'm now starting to sometimes form a 3d mental picture of where I am in relation to the airport and nav aids on some of the approaches. We seem to be doing well learning from each other's mistakes. Also, it is really interesting how quickly you can catch errors from the right seat compared to the left. My instructor is going to add NDB approaches to this mix soon, further turning my brain to mush. Speaking of mush, why is it amost universal that your landings get much worse when working under the hood? Ugh.

We haven't gotten to fly in the last 10 days or so, all this southerly flow off the gulf has kept the weather sufficiently crappy. On the flip side, I've been spending lots of quality time with John and Martha, and am 80% complete thru the King CD-ROMS. I expect to be ready for the written in another few weeks or so.

Hang in there Bill, I'm sure you're doing great. I remember during instrument training it seemed like a switch clicked on and suddenly I got it - but it took me a while.
Having flown with you I'm sure you'll do great. Keep us posted.

How many landings do you actually get to do ? On the day I had passed my checkride for the Private Pilot certificate I had 314 landings. I only added 97 landings from that day to Instrument checkride. Now, if we had added all the missed-approaches to the landings I bet it would have been close the same number. :) :)

Back