IR -- the end is *almost* in sight..

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Talked to Tony last night and he said if weather was as forecasted this morning, he would be able to do some IR flying. I called in to work this morn and got the morning off, woke up Tony at 7am ;) and we met at the airport at 8.

Filed for Hampton to get some fuel. On the ground there, we decide to get the IFR XC w/ Airway work out of the way. Go ahead and file Hampton -> Iowa City -> Des Moines -> Ames and away we go. Solid IFR the whole time. Rockin out to Weird Al and flying IFR -- gotta love it! :D GPS 30 at Iowa City with no problems. Vectors to intersect the airway to DesMoines with another vector off the airway to intercept the VOR 23 approach at DSM. Just before turning inbound, got put into a makeshift 'hold' for spacing. It was basically a long, drawn out 360* turn. VOR 23 to DSM no problems. Vectors for the ILS 01 at Ames. Flew the needles within 1/2 dot deflection down to ~800'AGL and baddabing there we are.

2.8hrs TT w/ 2.4 Actual IFR. Brings the 'total' Sim/Actual IFR time to 28.3. The end is actually in sight!! I've been "kinda working on the IR" for going on two years now and finally the end is coming near! I can hardly believe it! Now I just gotta find a DE to do the checkride in the RV....

-Chris

CJones said:
Talked to Tony last night and he said if weather was as forecasted this morning, he would be able to do some IR flying. I called in to work this morn and got the morning off, woke up Tony at 7am ;) and we met at the airport at 8.

Filed for Hampton to get some fuel. On the ground there, we decide to get the IFR XC w/ Airway work out of the way. Go ahead and file Hampton -> Iowa City -> Des Moines -> Ames and away we go. Solid IFR the whole time. Rockin out to Weird Al and flying IFR -- gotta love it! :D GPS 30 at Iowa City with no problems. Vectors to intersect the airway to DesMoines with another vector off the airway to intercept the VOR 23 approach at DSM. Just before turning inbound, got put into a makeshift 'hold' for spacing. It was basically a long, drawn out 360* turn. VOR 23 to DSM no problems. Vectors for the ILS 01 at Ames. Flew the needles within 1/2 dot deflection down to ~800'AGL and baddabing there we are.

2.8hrs TT w/ 2.4 Actual IFR. Brings the 'total' Sim/Actual IFR time to 28.3. The end is actually in sight!! I've been "kinda working on the IR" for going on two years now and finally the end is coming near! I can hardly believe it! Now I just gotta find a DE to do the checkride in the RV....

-Chris

it was a great flight. thank god for the autopilot or we surely wouldve lost control listening to weird al. Folks: Straight outta Lynwood is pure genius! It was a pretty slow day, just us and the airliners it seemed like. did hear one other 182 on frequency but that was it. Cedar Rapids approach was organizing his weekend plans with a friend over des moines. i pretty much was just ballast in the right seat, chris is definitely getting close!

tonycondon said:
it was a great flight. thank god for the autopilot or we surely wouldve lost control listening to weird al. Folks: Straight outta Lynwood is pure genius! It was a pretty slow day, just us and the airliners it seemed like. did hear one other 182 on frequency but that was it. Cedar Rapids approach was organizing his weekend plans with a friend over des moines. i pretty much was just ballast in the right seat, chris is definitely getting close!

Hey, here's a new idea: Connect the music source to the autopilot so the plane rocks in time with the beat!

Back