IR test question

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
A pilot’s recent IFR experience expires on July 1 of this year. What is the latest date the pilot can meet the IFR experience requirement without having to take an instrument proficiency check?

The answer is Dec 31

But I understand the pilot can after Dec 31 do the requirements w/ a safety pilot and not need an IPC.

A pilot’s recent IFR experience expires on July 1 of this year. What is the latest date the pilot can meet the IFR experience requirement without having to take an instrument proficiency check?

The answer is Dec 31

But I understand the pilot can after Dec 31 do the requirements w/ a safety pilot and not need an IPC.

No, I'm pretty sure if they expire on July 1, he can meet the requirements:

Before and up to July 1: By himself in actual, or with a safety pilot.

Between July 2 and Dec 31: With a safety pilot (because he can't be PIC under IFR).

After Dec 31: Only by IPC.

The answer is Dec 31

The pilot's experience EXPIRES on July 1. So they're already through their first 6 months. They have until December 31st to do the requirements w/ a safety pilot and not need an IPC.

The pilot's experience EXPIRES on July 1. So they're already through their first 6 months. They have until December 31st to do the requirements w/ a safety pilot and not need an IPC.

Crafty Bastards.
They intentionally word these questions to try and confuse us.

Crafty Bastards.
They intentionally word these questions to try and confuse us.

I've heard the test has changed since I took it, but if they still have the "Which way to turn the remote compass" questions in there you'll begin to understand just how stupid the written test can be. Because, in real life, the answer is "Turn it one way. Oops, wrong way. OK, turn it the other way then."

Edit: My bad, looks like you guys already addressed this stupidity: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1615695&postcount=15

Just finished the 1/2 way mark on the Gleim and have a 98% so I can answer their questions.
My opinion is that ~30% of this instruction is a waste of my time and could be better used on more practical teaching.

But who knows. I may fly through a wormhole and end up back in the 1940s. Who will be laughing then? Not me because I am prepared for it ;)

It is about like taking the driver's license test. I couldn't tell you how many feet it takes to stop from 60mph, but I know what it looks like when I am driving :).

Just finished the 1/2 way mark on the Gleim and have a 98% so I can answer their questions.
My opinion is that ~30% of this instruction is a waste of my time and could be better used on more practical teaching.

But who knows. I may fly through a wormhole and end up back in the 1940s. Who will be laughing then? Not me because I am prepared for it ;)

There's still that carrier landing you'll need to grease after flying through the wormhole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look here now! The FAA is tired of losing aircraft to the Bermuda Triangle. They have determined that the primary cause is improper navigation and that has to stop!

Now quit smirking and get back to work!

Look here now! The FAA is tired of losing aircraft to the Bermuda Triangle. They have determined that the primary cause is improper navigation and that has to stop!

Now quit smirking and get back to work!

Good point.
Check out my new Aspen:

m6_NAfnsV0E2iIGzRdeSXUA.jpg

When you accelerate while on a east or west heading what error should you see with your new aspen?

No error. It is wired up to my MLC which corrects any compass errors.

True. I am in a constant state of confusion right now.

I am going crazy right now. I feel like a college student all over again.
Working on IR, learning the new plane, PMP certification for work, and Scrum Master Cert also for work

I am taking tests all day long. Only thing missing is a good frat party.

To pick a nit, IFR currency would never expire on July 1. It would expire on June 30.

To pick a nit, IFR currency would never expire on July 1. It would expire on June 30.

All through the exam prep it talks about calendar months but then says things like if you want to fly IFR on Jul 10, you have to have done the IR requirements no sooner than Jan 10

I thought calendar months meant any time in January to be current for a flight any time in July.

Calendar months in this case does not seem to be measured the same as it was on the exam prep when referring to pito-static checks and transponder checks, etc

Okay, it's time for 6PC to step up the game. He's mastered the use of the Metal Landing Calculator. It's time for him to learn the....

Metal Holding Calculator!

Okay, it's time for 6PC to step up the game. He's mastered the use of the Metal Landing Calculator. It's time for him to learn the....

Actually he needs to upgrade to the composite one. Don't forget he disposed of the aluminum Socata and now has the Cirrus...

Bryan... stop by the office sometime... I have a helpful test taking item for you (real item, and helpful, not a funny novelty)

All through the exam prep it talks about calendar months but then says things like if you want to fly IFR on Jul 10, you have to have done the IR requirements no sooner than Jan 10

I thought calendar months meant any time in January to be current for a flight any time in July.

Calendar months in this case does not seem to be measured the same as it was on the exam prep when referring to pito-static checks and transponder checks, etc

As far as I know, all the ifr reqs are months, not like passenger currency that are 90 days

I bought one off eBay. It is rusty but I think with a splash of CLR, I can bring it back

MHC.jpg

It does. Are you talking about the answers on a test question (those would be the obviously wrong ones), or does the test prep study material actually say that?
Calendar months means calendar months.

On that test question, what were the other answers like? There was one on the actual test that had dates in the middle of a month as the last day a pilot could meet the currency requirements without an IPC, and a couple of the answers had weasel words in them like "completes the required iterations and repetitions" without saying what those were.

None of the answers were a clear date at the end of a month like "Dec 31", but otherwise it sounds like the same question.

17.A pilot plans an IFR flight on July 10 of this year.
In order to meet IFR currency requirements the pilot must have

Correct answer:
A. performed his/her currency tasks between January 10 and July 10.

I would Think Jan 1st would be the beginning valid date. :dunno:

I have a helpful test taking item for you (real item, and helpful, not a funny novelty)

Yes, no more novelty items.
That was an awkward ER visit. I can never look that dr. in the eyes again.

Correct answer:

61.57(c)(1) would certainly sound that way to me as well. If I log all requirements on January 1, I'd expect that I'd be current until July 31 of that same year.

Yep. I'm pretty sure that one is wrong. It also sounds a lot like the question I got on the actual test, if the other answers had dates in February and used those "weasel words" I mentioned.

Correct answer:

According to Gleim, the question was recently edited to match FAR part 61:

Old Version
A pilot has an IFR flight plan for July 10 of this year. What is the earliest date the pilot can meet the IFR experience requirements without having to take an IFR proficiency check?
A - January 10 this year.
B - February 10 this year.
C - August last year.

New Version
A pilot plans an IFR flight for July 10 of this year. In order to meet IFR currency requirements the pilot must have
A - performed his/her currency tasks between January 10 and July 10.
B - performed his/her currency tasks between February 10 and July 10 with none of it before February 10.
C - Completed an IPC within the last year.

Even though the FARs let you look as far back as January 1 for the required currency tasks when you're flying on July 10, option A is the “correct” answer to both questions because January 10 to July 10 is sufficient for currency, while the other two options are completely wrong.

This stupid test question caused me to incorrectly “learn” that if you were flying on a certain day, you had to have performed the currency tasks six months earlier, on or after the same numbered day. But, as you noted, that's not correct.

Ron has a great explanation in Post #8 of this thread titled “Another ******* IFR currency question.”

Last edited:
Even the changed wording is still wrong. :mad: It's six calendar months, not six months to the day, so they'd have to change the "must have" in the question to "may have" in order to make answer A correct. Because events performed between January 1 and January 9 also count for IFR currency on July 10, the only correct answer to the reworded question as asked would be "performed his/her currency tasks between January 1 and July 10."
:mad2:

Last edited:
That's why a perfect score of 100 for these written tests is usually NOT a perfect score because there were probably one or two questions with incorrect "correct" answers. It's best to just get the written over with ASAP and not agonize over it. It's mostly a waste of time in terms of actually LEARNING something in my opinion.

That's why a perfect score of 100 for these written tests is usually NOT a perfect score because there were probably one or two questions with incorrect "correct" answers. It's best to just get the written over with ASAP and not agonize over it. It's mostly a waste of time in terms of actually LEARNING something in my opinion.

I wholeheartedly share that opinion. The written was a hurdle to jump over in order to get the rating, but offered little to no actual knowledge that has been used in training, the checkride or in instrument flight since.

The training was fantastic and the things I've learned since the written have made the rating MORE than worth the time/money/effort put into it. But at the point of studying for and taking the written, I began questioning the value.

Even the changed wording is still wrong. :mad: It's six calendar months, not six months to the day, so they'd have to change the "must have" in the question to "may have" in order to make answer A correct. Because events performed between January 1 and January 9 also count for IFR currency on July 10, the only correct answer to the reworded question as asked would be "performed his/her currency tasks between January 1 and July 10."
:mad2:

This seems very much a case of "best answer" (least wrong answer?) vs. something that's actually going to be helpful in the process of instrument flying and maintaining currency. Which is frustrating, because you'd think that rather than trying to trick or confuse people taking the test the FAA would rather test actual knowledge.

It's because of things like this that my advice for anyone going for the IR is to just study the test, take the test, get it out of the way and then REALLY start learning via King/Sportys DVDs, books, ground instruction, etc.

Back