IR required for night in Canada

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Quick question: Is an IR required for flying at night in Canada? If yes, is that true for Canadians, only, or for all who wish to fly there?

(I'm covered, but am asking for a friend. My research is giving me more questions than answers!)

Dont the canadians have a separate night-VFR rating ?

There is a separate night rating. You need this to fly at night as PIC in Canada. However, an instrument rating supersedes. So if you have IR, you don't need the night rating.

I was in Winnipeg for my grandmothers funeral last weekend. I took my logbooks, FAA and Canadian license to transport Canada. They made copies of my logbook pages that logged my instrument time and my night flight time filled out the paperwork once they verify my FAA license I should have the night rating

I believe you need 10 hours of hood time and or IMC time or sim time; a night dual cross country and five hours night PIC time to get the night rating. You fill out application and pay a fee. Hope this helps.

Is the night rating a requirement of FAA certificated pilots flying US registered aircraft in Canada?

US pilots (most of them) get night training for their Private certificate, but not to the level required by Canada.

I was told if you fly a US registered plane at night in Canada, all you need is the FAA license.

Back