IR prep work

Working on the stick and rudder skills already mentioned seems quite worthwhile but I think there's another aspect of preparing for IR training to consider. And that's planning for and setting up your life and airplane to minimize the things that impede such training:

1) Work out a realistic schedule for the training that allows you to get through it without spending most of your time reviewing past lessons. Typically that means flying at least 3 or more times per week and given the usual issues with weather, airplane availability (if you're renting), instructor's schedule, and your other activities (like work/family/etc) you should plan to schedule an extra flight each week as an alternate slot.

2) Set aside enough money that cash flow during training won't be a hinderence. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to have enough uncommitted cash lying around to pay for the whole thing up front, just work out a plan that ensures the money will be available on the schedule you intend to follow. IMO it's far more productive to hold off on the training for several months than to take an unscheduled nibble by nibble approach as money becomes available.

3) Get the airplane ready. If you own that means planning around annuals, ensuring your avionics are working properly, all required bi-annual checks are up to date etc. If you're renting, make sure you have a backup plan in case the plane you intend to use becomes unavailable and check into the plane's maintenance schedule. It wouldn't be pleasant to find that the DA40 you were using for training was taken off the line for a month halfway into your training (or worse yet a week before you're ready for the checkride) and the only other similar airplane is either booked solid, inconveniently located far away, or unusable by your instructor.

4) Get yourself ready. This is going to take a large portion of your "free" time for a while. Now's the time to take care of anything that might interfere later if you can. Learn all you can about the airplane you intend to use, especially WRT the avionics. Get the IR written out of the way half a year to a year before you plan to take the checkride.

I sense from Ron's response that his experience shows that his students that progress more quickly are the ones who can point the nose where it needs to be and keep it there. With that as a starting point, he can work out the rest.
Bingo.
Other opinions are that knowledge of the equipment is a good starting point.
Agreed -- if you've got a GPS, know its operation cold. That may require getting a good computer-based training course, not just playing with the free simulator. Otherwise, expect at least one additional full day of training.

BTW, I don't care if you're doing this in 10 days, 10 weeks, or 10 months -- my advice still holds. Work on aircraft control, but don't practice instrument stuff (including VOR tracking) until you've been taught it as part of your IR training course.

Last edited:
Agreed -- if you've got a GPS, know its operation cold. That may require getting a good computer-based training course, not just playing with the free simulator. Otherwise, expect at least one additional full day of training.
Indeed. I've got the King 430 course, and have run through it - and if I ever find myself going for the IR, I plan to go through it again, and then spend some time flying it to make sure I understand it.

Working on the stick and rudder skills already mentioned seems quite worthwhile but I think there's another aspect of preparing for IR training to consider. And that's planning for and setting up your life and airplane to minimize the things that impede such training:

1) Work out a realistic schedule for the training that allows you to get through it without spending most of your time reviewing past lessons. Typically that means flying at least 3 or more times per week and given the usual issues with weather, airplane availability (if you're renting), instructor's schedule, and your other activities (like work/family/etc) you should plan to schedule an extra flight each week as an alternate slot.

2) Set aside enough money that cash flow during training won't be a hinderence. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to have enough uncommitted cash lying around to pay for the whole thing up front, just work out a plan that ensures the money will be available on the schedule you intend to follow. IMO it's far more productive to hold off on the training for several months than to take an unscheduled nibble by nibble approach as money becomes available.

3) Get the airplane ready. If you own that means planning around annuals, ensuring your avionics are working properly, all required bi-annual checks are up to date etc. If you're renting, make sure you have a backup plan in case the plane you intend to use becomes unavailable and check into the plane's maintenance schedule. It wouldn't be pleasant to find that the DA40 you were using for training was taken off the line for a month halfway into your training (or worse yet a week before you're ready for the checkride) and the only other similar airplane is either booked solid, inconveniently located far away, or unusable by your instructor.

4) Get yourself ready. This is going to take a large portion of your "free" time for a while. Now's the time to take care of anything that might interfere later if you can. Learn all you can about the airplane you intend to use, especially WRT the avionics. Get the IR written out of the way half a year to a year before you plan to take the checkride.

These are all the reasons that I won't be doing this anytime soon - life's tough enough right now: trying to stay employed, trying to get one kid through college, trying to get another ready for college, finding the time to stay sharp, and trying to save up enough so I can finish what I start.

I keep telling myself - maybe it'll never happen, but I can prepare for it just in case I can make it happen.

These are all the reasons that I won't be doing this anytime soon - life's tough enough right now: trying to stay employed, trying to get one kid through college, trying to get another ready for college, finding the time to stay sharp, and trying to save up enough so I can finish what I start.

I keep telling myself - maybe it'll never happen, but I can prepare for it just in case I can make it happen.
I don't know if it's practical for you or most people, but one thing that helped me a lot was that, because of my job, I had spent a lot of time as a passenger in small airplanes by the time I started my instrument training. Even if the pilots weren't actively instructing me I learned a lot about the system through observation. Some people will chime in and say that you might learn a lot of bad habits that way, but I think that as long as you keep an open mind you should be OK.

How about on the PP checkride?

It's "Radio navigation," and it's required you know how to employ it.

As far as "GPS Direct," Good Grief.

Yea, so you show the DPE that you know how to use it. Shortly thereafter
the PP discovers Portable GPS and all the benefits it offers. So do you really think he/she will continue to use vor's or even stay proficient? Let's be realistic!

There's nothing wrong w/ GPS direct! Sadly, thats the one button that everyone knows but it does the job... Your Mileage may vary :)

Last edited:
Yea, so you show the DPE that you know how to use it. Shortly thereafter the PP discovers Portable GPS and all the benefits it offers. So do you really think he/she will continue to use vor's or even stay proficient? Let's be realistic!

There's nothing wrong w/ GPS direct! Sadly, thats the one button that everyone knows but it does the job... Your Mileage may vary :)

Sad, but true.

I won't resurrect the "magenta line of death" thread, but I'm with the more experienced among us that counsel proficiency with all the tools at our disposal lest the primary fail.

Sad, but true.

I won't resurrect the "magenta line of death" thread, but I'm with the more experienced among us that counsel proficiency with all the tools at our disposal lest the primary fail.

Magenta line of death? Ah, you have it all wrong.. The magenta line goes right through Mountains, buildings,, and provides maximum "M": MEA, MOCA, MRA and MCA magically w/ a 4000' Obstacle clearence. :yikes::yesnod:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Coming to Adam's shindig?

Sad, but true.

Case in point, my IFR GPS went TU Monday night, so I had to fall back on VOR navigation. It happens. (Of course, I managed to "fix" the GPS later in the flight by entering data from the handheld GPS, but that's another story.)

Case in point, my IFR GPS went TU Monday night, so I had to fall back on VOR navigation. It happens. (Of course, I managed to "fix" the GPS later in the flight by entering data from the handheld GPS, but that's another story.)

I flew XC IFR a few weeks ago with the data chip missing in the 430.

Was good practice and got there with nary a problem.

I follow the magenta line nearly everyday. I just don't let my students see it. They get the cross hairs I enjoy so much.

Back