IR Lesson 2 - Get out of town, Hoser!

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Today was the best flight I've ever had. I've had more meaningful, but none as fun.

I decided to rent the Arrow again, there's just something right about retracting the gear of an airplane after rotation. For some reason, it feels better to me when doing instrument work. But before I got to the airport, I purchased a Low Enroute Chart...why? I'll explain in a bit. We met in the office to talk about the upcoming flight and checked the weather.

Weather was gorgeous today. Not a cloud in the sky around Albuquerque. But it was decided, lesson 2 was going to be my IFR Cross Country flight. My CFII said I am confident enough, and skillful enough to handle it, and hey, I'm not going to argue with a cross country flight! So we planned a flight to Durango, KDRO together, downloaded some plates for a few approaches, and he gave me a form, told me to fill it out, and call in the flight plan to FSS.

As I worked my way through the plan, I realized how cool that was going to be, especially when I heard "Broken, 6000" at Durango...I might actually get some Actual!!

So - the planned route to Durango was ABQ V68 RSK V421 DRO at 12,000ft, then we'd do the ILS, go missed, and do the GPS and come back to KABQ for a VOR approach.

We took off into some pretty nasty enroute turbulence, which made flying accurately a PITA, but we did ok. A few bumps here and there kinda gave me the leans, but I was able to trust my instruments and proceed. We were given Direct Rattlesnake VOR about 30 miles out of Albuquerque, which took most of the flightplan out of the equation.

A bit north of Rattlesnake, as we were cleared direct to DRO VOR, the CFII says "Go ahead and take off the hood, you'll want to see this." As I did, I saw looming, beautifully serene clouds in front of us.

"Remember, don't watch us enter the clouds, just focus on the instruments."

And I did. And it was glorious! It was nice and smooth inside the clouds, aside from one little bump (and by little, it was actually a huge bump, lol). I did get the leans at one point, but I said, out loud "I am straight and level, I am straight and level!" and the CFII said "Yes, you are," trying to reassure me.

We went in and out of clouds for a bit, and then finally went into a big cloud for most of the rest of the trip. We were given vectors to HINDY, which is the IF for the ILS Runway 3 approach. Apparently, btw, they just changed the runway numbers at Durango, for those of you that go there frequently.

As we were descending, we popped out fairly early and he had me put the hood back on for the rest of the descent to the DH. Just before we did, we noticed a small amount of frost had built up on the leading edges of the wings. After hitting the DH, we both decided we needed a break, so we actually fullstopped it and discussed our next course of action. We canceled on the ramp with Center, and then taxied to the FBO and walked around for a bit.

After a nice little break, we headed back up, departed runway 21 and flew the GPS RW 3 approach. GPS approaches are freaking cake, there's almost no skill involved. Just fly a course and maintain a heading...maybe drop some altitude here and there. We followed the published missed procedure and headed back to Albuquerque.

The rest of the flight is boring. No more actual, all hood time, and the VOR RW 8 approach to KABQ. We landed, taxied back and were done, just before nightfall.

What a wonderful day. I don't know why Flightaware only caught the leg up to DRO, but it is the first time I have a flight on Flight Aware.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N32492

Funny enough, seeing that, we were listed as a PA44/G. We were actually a P28R/G, and Albuquerque Approach kept calling us Seminole. Albuquerque Center called us "Dakota" and Denver Center called us "Experimental." Coming back, Denver Center and Albuquerque Center called us "Seminole" and Albuquerque Approach FINALLY got it right and called us "Arrow."

Lovely!!

Breakdown:
KABQ-KDRO-KABQ
Total Time: 3.5 hrs
Simulated Instrument: 2.9 hrs.
Actual Instrument 0.5 hrs.

I'm so beat.

Instrument flight can wear on ya pretty good. Most don't have a clue how intense it can be. I enjoy the challenge but the reward is great when you perform well by the needles.

I'm glad you're enjoying the training.

Nick,

Sweet! And great writeup, too. :yes:

But it was decided, lesson 2 was going to be my IFR Cross Country flight.

I'd suggest you *don't* make it your only one. You've got a box checked, but the more you fly "in the system" the easier it'll be once you're on your own.

we noticed a small amount of frost had built up on the leading edges of the wings.

Frost? That be ice - Trace rime, it sounds like.

I'm so beat.

Instrument flying will do that to ya! It'll make you sweat when it's cold too. :yes:

Sounds awesome, Nick!

What Kent said is true - get more time in the system (as much as possible) and you'll be better off when you get your ticket. Then make as many flights in the system as possible once you get your ticket for a while so it just stays ingrained.

Keep at it! :yes:

I agree with Kent's comments as well. Do all you can to become "comfortable" with the system and whatever actutal IMC you can find, both will do well to boost your confidence in the checkride and beyond.

And WRT to "the leans", I want to tell you that after more than 20 years of IFR I still get those distracting feelings. Your training isn't about avoiding this issue, it's about ignoring the feeling and remaining comfortable with it.

Cool write up and flight Nick. When you saw the ice did you also think to maybe turn on the pitot heat?

I still get the leans too, it is hard to overcome them and believe in your instruments but with training you learn to do just that. I hand fly all my under the hood approaches and almost always fly a couple approached in actual to lower my work load, as have learned, you may look like you are not doing anything will flying on the gauges but it is a lot of work. My last ILS in actual I hand flew and got the leans big time but fought them until I was able to overcome the feelings. I just love when you break out and see the runway right in front of the window.

Cool write up and flight Nick. When you saw the ice did you also think to maybe turn on the pitot heat?

Hopefully Nick's already been taught to turn on the pitot heat anytime the OAT might be expected to go below +10C at his cruising altitude and that the "frost' would only remind Nick to confirm that the heat is on (and working).

What little actual I have, I love the feeling right as you break out and see the runway, its like "Holly crap I did it"!!!!!!!

What little actual I have, I love the feeling right as you break out and see the runway, its like "Holly crap I did it"!!!!!!!

My wife was very impressed the first time she flew with me on a LIFR instrument approach (ILS to Lunkin OH) and the runway showed up right in front of us a little more than a half mile away. I think her comment was "Wow, that's amazing". I suppose I could have felt insulted as if she was surprised I could pull it off but I took it as a compliment anyway.:D

CFII told me to turn on the Pitot heat before we went IMC. I am not sure if that's standard, but the pitot heat was on all the way until we were on short final.

For me, pitot heat goes on before I go into any clouds, period. And it stays on until I am on the ground and doing my shutdown checklist. YMMV.

I just love when you break out and see the runway right in front of the window.

Few things are cooler than the realization that this stuff really does work and, at the end of this flying using vision without sight, behold! The runway is there. When you do it for real rather than for practice and this becomes that much more apparent, it's all the more cool.

For me, pitot heat goes on before I go into any clouds, period. And it stays on until I am on the ground and doing my shutdown checklist. YMMV.

With the exception of flying when I know the coldest temps I'll see are +15C or higher I pretty much always turn the pitot heat on along with the strobes when I pull out on the runway for takeoff and I check it before flying into the first cloud I encounter. But I like to shut it off as part of my post landing flow, both to eliminate the high current load (I have two heaters with a total draw of about 250w) and to keep them from overheating while on the ground.

But I like to shut it off as part of my post landing flow, both to eliminate the high current load (I have two heaters with a total draw of about 250w) and to keep them from overheating while on the ground.

That's what I was gonna say too, I think at least the Cessna manuals say to turn it off during the after-landing checklist to avoid overheating.

For me, I was also trained, to turn it on when in IMC if the temps were below freezing.
One of those "automatic" things, don't think about whether you should or not, just DO IT.

Mark B

Weather was gorgeous today. Not a cloud in the sky around Albuquerque. But it was decided, lesson 2 was going to be my IFR Cross Country flight. My CFII said I am confident enough, and skillful enough to handle it,

I suspect that it is not very typical to be doing a long cross country on the second IFR lesson - way to go!

And I did. And it was glorious! It was nice and smooth inside the clouds, aside from one little bump (and by little, it was actually a huge bump, lol). I did get the leans at one point, but I said, out loud "I am straight and level, I am straight and level!" and the CFII said "Yes, you are," trying to reassure me.

Sorry, but I gotta laugh. Not at you, but at the MSFS gamers back from usenet that are so convinced that they are superior pilots based on their arm chair IMC skills... "sensations aren't important" lol.

Talking to yourself does seem to make a difference in sticky situations.

I'm so beat.

No doubt.

CFII told me to turn on the Pitot heat before we went IMC. I am not sure if that's standard, but the pitot heat was on all the way until we were on short final.

Nick why did you bother to turn it off on short final? Why not just wait till your on the ground?

BTW FWIW I think rapidly flying in and out of clouds is much more disorienting that being in solid IMC.

Nick why did you bother to turn it off on short final? Why not just wait till your on the ground?

BTW FWIW I think rapidly flying in and out of clouds is much more disorienting that being in solid IMC.

You know, I'm not sure. I always do my little "Red blue green, runway's clean" thingie when on my "final final" approach, and it just seemed right to flip the switch. CFII didn't really say anything either way on it.

You know, I'm not sure. I always do my little "Red blue green, runway's clean" thingie when on my "final final" approach, and it just seemed right to flip the switch. CFII didn't really say anything either way on it.

Just my .02 about it... I would leave it on until you're on the ground. Reasoning: If, for some reason you are forced to go-around at the last minute, you will be working on cleaning the plane up for climb, getting settled on your missed procedures and flying the plane possibly back into the soup. By leaving the pitot heat on until you're on the ground, that's one less switch to have to worry about in the midst of all that mess. And speaking from experience of flying with a pitot popsicle because of a "Oops, forgot to turn pitot heat on", you WANT to have your airspeed while climbing back into the clouds and maneuvering at low(er) airspeeds and altitudes.

Once again, just my .02 and YMMV. :)

But I like to shut it off as part of my post landing flow, both to eliminate the high current load (I have two heaters with a total draw of about 250w) and to keep them from overheating while on the ground.

That's what I was gonna say too, I think at least the Cessna manuals say to turn it off during the after-landing checklist to avoid overheating.

After doing some mental armchair flying, I guess I turn it off once I'm off the runway along with radio work if necessary (cancel IFR), clean up the lights (strobes, landing/taxi), flaps (up on Cessna's, down on RV ;)), etc.

Never thought about it getting hot enough to overheat, but it sounds like good enough reasoning to do it sooner than later. If nothing else, it gives it time to cool off before fumbling with tie-downs in the general area. Ouch!

Nice write-up, especially the leans observations. I got my first ones after over 10 years without them.

We leave our pitot heat on from engine start-up to taxi towards the tie down at the end of the flight. If one goes missed into developing ice and then turns on the pitot heat, the 2-3 minutes it can take a pitot to warm up can be problematic with the instruments.

Where possible, I'll put students near the top of the layer so we do go in and out of the puffs on top or if it's broken with few holes, right in the middle. That's much better than under the hood as you learn to deal with the distraction in your peripheral vision.

As to turning off the pitot heat, I'd leave all alone until on the ground and off the runway. First things first necessary to the safety of flight so keep the eyes on the needles. The heat's already on so let it stay. After landing, I feel that way about anything inside the cockpit until off the runway since once you're taxiing it should be eyes outside. Making unnecessary changes can lead to a less than desirable outcome.

Way to go! Interesting write-up and it sounds like it was a productive lesson.

Back