IR Ground School (in a classroom)

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
Does anybody still do actual ground school in a classroom setting? One of the more valuable things I did during my Private training was to take a ground school class at the local community college. A combination of the instructor, other students asking questions and, frankly, discipline of a regular class time all helped me.

This was 10ish years ago and now all the community colleges in our area have become State Colleges (i.e. 4 year schools, no more community type classes, only degree programs).

I've searched the internet and find all kinds of online, iPad and eve a few weekend test cram courses, but no actual sit-in-a-class-with-an-instrutor school.

I've stopped into the local flight schools and (other than the 141 schools) they don't do this.

Is there anybody still doing this? Anybody?

John

I did, but I didn't find it particularly effective (an issue I place squarely on the Jep-Sanderson curriculum materials used).

So what's wrong with a 141 school? They almost all are happy to let you take the ground school even if you don't fly with them.

I did, but I didn't find it particularly effective (an issue I place squarely on the Jep-Sanderson curriculum materials used).

So what's wrong with a 141 school? They almost all are happy to let you take the ground school even if you don't fly with them.

None of the ones around here want to talk unless you're ready to drop $30K+ for an ATP. I've talked to all three.

John

I doubt that there is adequate demand to put together a class. With pp groundschool you can recruit people off the street.

I did a pt 141 inst ground school class back in the day. I don't know if it was better than self study, but there was a hot girl teaching it which was a bonus. 12 years later, I still wonder what she is doing :)

I doubt that there is adequate demand to put together a class.
This has been my experience when I went looking for an IFR ground school. I would have preferred the live setting, but couldn't get enough folks ready and willing to commit all at the same time. And commit to it being 3hrs one night a week for 12 weeks.

Finally resorted to some online solutions (Jepp, Sheppard Air, King)

No help to you, but I did one. The instructor's regular job transferred him to Omaha, so that was the end of class. He comp'd the class fee and offered a sign off for anyone who demonstrated consistent 80ish practice test results. I chalked it up to 1 nite a week talking plane stuff.

Where are you located? There are a few junior/community colleges and some 4yr that have aviation programs that have the ground programs. If you're in Colorado, there are 2 schools, Aims and Metro State. Don't know about others.

I took one as a part of a 141 program. Self study would have been just as good or perhaps better. I thought the Jeppesen course material used wasn't all that great which might be what colored my opinion.

Where are you located? There are a few junior/community colleges and some 4yr that have aviation programs that have the ground programs. If you're in Colorado, there are 2 schools, Aims and Metro State. Don't know about others.

Central Florida. I'm based out of Orlando Executive (KORL).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back