IR currency

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I have two questions regarding currency, and I think the answers are yes, but I want to verify:

1. Holding procedures: I would assume flying an approach that has a manditory hold in lue of procedure turn would satisfy this requirement, true?
  2. Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems: I would assume flying in ILS approach (with radar vectors) would satisfy this requirement?

Bill Jennings said:
I have two questions regarding currency, and I think the answers are yes, but I want to verify:
  1. Holding procedures: I would assume flying an approach that has a manditory hold in lue of procedure turn would satisfy this requirement, true?
  2. Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems: I would assume flying in ILS approach (with radar vectors) would satisfy this requirement?

That is my belief as well. If I do the hold in lieu of procedure turn I do also go around a few times to make sure that I have really nailed the hold and I list it as such in my logbook.

BTW I was involved in someone actually having to do that in real life. I was coming into KMQI on the GPS approach. Washington Center vectored my to an IAF that would not require procedure turn and there was a King Air coming in behind me. He had to do the hold at the IAF in IMC until I cancelled IFR, which I did as soon as it was safe and legal to do so.

So practicing those is not just a convenience but something you may end up doing in the real world.

Bill Jennings said:

1) I ask for one full turn in holding before executing the approach on a HPILPT. There is no question then, and it only takes a few extra minutes.

2) That is my understanding as well on intercepting/tracking. Or you can do that on a departure or arrival procedure (fly heading 030 to intercept the SAT 081, resume own navigation complies).

wsuffa said:
Or you can do that on a departure or arrival procedure (fly heading 030 to intercept the SAT 081, resume own navigation complies).

Thanks, Bill. BTW, a fellow in a nice 112TC pulled up to the tiedown next to us last night and we chatted a bit before we departed. Nice planes!

What constitues a "loggable" hold is entirely up to you AFaIK. From a purely technical standpoint, I'd say once you made it across the fix twice without getting lost you have met the requirement as well as having accomplished the more difficult aspects of holding.

And for intercepting/tracking, you're on your own again to decide what counts. For me if you follow any electronic course guidance you've pretty much satisfied the requirement. The only portions of an IFR or practice IFR flight that I don't believe qualifie are following radar vectors (headings) and radar approaches (just a bunch of vectors).

lancefisher said:
And for intercepting/tracking, you're on your own again to decide what counts. For me if you follow any electronic course guidance you've pretty much satisfied the requirement. The only portions of an IFR or practice IFR flight that I don't believe qualifie are following radar vectors (headings) and radar approaches (just a bunch of vectors).
I've never even understood why they call it out separately in the regs. You're going to do it on most approaches. It would make sense to me if they specified that you need to do at least three types of approaches, as they do for the 250NM cross country. Then you'd be almost guaranteed to do the interceptiion and tracking, and get better experience too. OTOH, there are probably people with either limited approaches locally or very limited equipment for whom that would be a burden. I can't see them as being very proficient in that case, though.

Bill Jennings said:
Thanks, Bill. BTW, a fellow in a nice 112TC pulled up to the tiedown next to us last night and we chatted a bit before we departed. Nice planes!

You get a chance to fly it? They're nice handling planes...

wsuffa said:
You get a chance to fly it? They're nice handling planes...

No, I don't know the guy, just chatted on the ramp. Nice big cabin, though, and that is why he bought the plane. He was a *large* dude!

gprellwitz said:
I've never even understood why they call it out separately in the regs.
If you're looking to understand the "whys" of the FAR's, you're looking in the wrong place. The way they're written, it's all we can do to figure out the "whats."

Back