iPod Touch - 1st Gen - OK to buy?

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Amazon has 1st Gen iPod Touch for $219; if someone were about to buy a Nano for a Christmas present, is there any reason why the Touch for $20.00 more is not a better idea?

What does one lose (or not gain) with the 1st-gen Touch?

Amazon has 1st Gen iPod Touch for $219; if someone were about to buy a Nano for a Christmas present, is there any reason why the Touch for $20.00 more is not a better idea?

How big?

Apple has refurbs of the 8Gb iPod Touch for $179 and the 16GB for $219.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod?mco=MTIzMjk

Apple store refurbs are perfectly fine, too.

To answer your question, go for the iPod touch over th Nano unless it's a youngster who just has to have a trendy color. The Nano doesn't have a touch screen and touch is the hot setup. The Touch screen is bigger, too.

Last edited:

Depends on who you're giving it to and what they're using it for. The Nano is much smaller and more convenient for an active person.

I have both the 1st gen and 2nd touch. There is nothing wrong at all about the 1st gen. In fact one thing it has over the 2nd gen is that it charges with a larger variety of power packs were the 2nd gen requires you to only use USB power.

There are some feature changes between the two gen that are nice but not mandatory to have. For instance the 2ng has volume keys and a small internal speaker. The 1gen does not have that and volume is only via the touch screen.

The only reason I got a 2nd gen was size. I simply could not fit all my stuff ont eh 16gig 1st gen and wanted the bigger storage of the 32gig 2nd gen.

As best I can tell, it's new, not refurb, but I'll look again.

I would rather not say who it's for, in case someone in the household goes to reading PoA. You all can pretty well guess...

I can see some significant benefit to smaller form-factor, as noted by Henning. We'll see...

I didn't know the wonder rat dog could read!

Back