iPod headset adapter? Rudy? Lance? Anybody?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I just got my new toy and played with it in the Citabria, but have some questions. Rudy, I know you have one now, so maybe you can answer my questions?

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&CATID=94&Product_ID=7145&count=6&Pcount=8

Would it matter if I got a stereo headset with this? Would the little gadget pass on the stereo sound if I did?

I can't get the mic plug to stick in all the way and I can't hear myself talk when I use it (not that I need to do that). Anybody else have that problem?

Hey Diana

I have only used mine a couple times, it works for me on a cell phone and on a CD player i used. The mic fits fine on mine so i dont know how to help you one that one. But i can answer that as long as the radio thing you are using has the same connection port(the place where the headphones usually plug in) that holds one of the two chords that came with it.

Also i dont know if this will help but the chord with the ends on both side at an angle is the one for CD players/iPOD, the one with one straight connector is for cell phones.

Hope i helped you if not maybe you could fly to PTS and i could look at it. See if i could figure anything out.

I have an iRiver (similar to your iPod). I know there are fancy connections that you can buy. However, I just take the headset and stick them in my ears. Then I just put the Aviation headset over them. Works great. It made the flight from LAX to TUL much more enjoyable last night at 11pm! Even the "Centers" aren't talkative that time of night. :dance: Turn the iRiver down and I can still hear ATC and the other pilot. I know this is a very low tech method and there are other solutions!

Brent

Rudy said:
Hey Diana

The mic fits fine on mine so i dont know how to help you one that one.

OK, that tells me something. Maybe I need to send it back. I finally unplugged the mic plug and stuck it back in the regular spot in the panel.

Hope i helped you if not maybe you could fly to PTS and i could look at it. See if i could figure anything out.

Thanks Rudy, I may run over and look at yours. Do you use a stereo headset?

Brent Bradford said:
I have an iRiver (similar to your iPod). fancy However, I just take the headset and stick them in my ears. Then I just put the Aviation headset over them. I know this is a very low tech method and there are other solutions!

Brent
That's what I had been doing too; I put the David Clarks over the ear buds. Sometimes when I do aerobatics my headset shifts around and I lose the fit with the earbuds. It was going to be too expensive to redo the intercom so the music would come through.

So they don't have a fancy music thingy in that jet? ;)

I dont know for sure if mine are stereo headsets or not, but i dont think that would matter all that much. We will just have to see, If mine fits into your plane then it could just be a mistake when they made it. I wouldnt think the different plane would matter that much, most intercoms have the same size mic outlet dont they?

I _had_ a similar setup in my 172, before I redid the intercoms, and it worked well.

As far as stereo headsets, they would improve the sound, but probably not enough to warrant the cost, and if your plane is not setup for them, you might only get comm audio in one ear.

I'm curious about what you mean the mic cord will not fit all the way in? Is something blocking it? So long as you are not using it for 2 way comms (cell, etc) there is no need for the mic, so you solution of plugging it into the panel is probably the best.

S.

Diana, they spend all the money for the people in the back. Yeah, we have DVD and CD player for the people in the back. They want us pilots to be bored and actually keep track of things up front.

I never thought about them moving around during acro. You learn something new everyday!

Brent

Diana said:
I just got my new toy and played with it in the Citabria, but have some questions. Rudy, I know you have one now, so maybe you can answer my questions? Would it matter if I got a stereo headset with this? Would the little gadget pass on the stereo sound if I did?

I'm pretty sure that stereo headsets would work. The plug in Sporty's picture is for a stereo headset. I would also be surprised if a stereo source didn't "play" in stereo with stereo headsets plugged into the unit.

I can't get the mic plug to stick in all the way and I can't hear myself talk when I use it (not that I need to do that). Anybody else have that problem?

Some mic plugs are a little longer than others. Other than that, you might just have to push harder. I'd try a few other mic plugs including the one on the unit to see if nothing fits (internal problem) or some do and some don't (tolerance issue). In any case you don't need to use the unit's mic jack and plug unless you want to connect to a cellphone. Using just the headphone plug and jack should suffice for listening to music.

lancefisher said:
I'm pretty sure that stereo headsets would work. The plug in Sporty's picture is for a stereo headset. I would also be surprised if a stereo source didn't "play" in stereo with stereo headsets plugged into the unit.

Thanks Lance. Got a chance to borrow somebody's Lightspeed stereo headset and it was GREAT with the iPod! Now I have to have a stereo headset. Wonder if the stereo D.C.'s are as good as the Lightspeed stereo headset?

lancefisher said:
Some mic plugs are a little longer than others. Other than that, you might just have to push harder. I'd try a few other mic plugs including the one on the unit to see if nothing fits (internal problem) or some do and some don't (tolerance issue). In any case you don't need to use the unit's mic jack and plug unless you want to connect to a cellphone. Using just the headphone plug and jack should suffice for listening to music.

Rudy and I played with it today, and it looks like it's a faulty unit. His plugs in all the way. Now, if I can find the cover to the battery compartment (where did I put that?) I'll send it back to Sporty's.

Diana said:
Now I have to have a stereo headset. Wonder if the stereo D.C.'s are as good as the Lightspeed stereo headset?
QUOTE]
In sound quality, no.

The DRE Communications DRE-6000 has excellent stereo sound and at less than $300 is the best deal on an ANR headset around.

Ken Ibold said:
Diana said:
Now I have to have a stereo headset. Wonder if the stereo D.C.'s are as good as the Lightspeed stereo headset?
QUOTE]
In sound quality, no.

The DRE Communications DRE-6000 has excellent stereo sound and at less than $300 is the best deal on an ANR headset around.
Thanks Ken, you just saved me hours of shopping and research. :)

Ken Ibold said:
Hey Ken, we just got them today. I love the stereo sound! You were right! Can't wait to try them in the airplane tomorrow.

Thanks! :)

Diana said:
Thanks Lance. Got a chance to borrow somebody's Lightspeed stereo headset and it was GREAT with the iPod! Now I have to have a stereo headset. Wonder if the stereo D.C.'s are as good as the Lightspeed stereo headset?
I am a little late to this party but I have to comment on my Lightspeeds. I sent my 25XLs back for the $75 "conversion" to allow for input into the volume control box on the cords. They send me a whole new headset! Two cords came with it, one for my phone, one to fit an audio input. They both work GREAT! I tried the phone on the ground of course. The music mutes when radio transmissions or other conversation is taking place. The sound is far better than I was getting using the jack in the comm panel.

Lightspeed ROCKS.

Back