iPod as flight data recorder

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Interesting...

The LoPresti Fury is set to use an iPod not only as an entertainment device, but as a CVR and flight data recorder.

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...k-box-as-lopresti-launches-data-recorder.html

Cool, but bad, idea. Just ask Chip. :no:

Now, a Nano on the other hand would be OK.

I'm excited to see what they can do with it. It definitely has potential to give us little flivvers some new capabilities, as it sounds like they're planning on selling the system for use in other planes once it's ready. :yes:

Cool, but bad, idea. Just ask Chip. :no:

I suspect Chip's problem was also G related. I wouldn't hesitate to bring an Ipod on any of my cross countries. It's very rare that I get above 6500 MSL.

thats another reason i like my nano. i just have to clear off those podcasts every now and then :)

it would be cool to plug into a solid state gyro like the Dynon (which I know will output all the data it displays) and be able to have that record for playback.

[wishful thinking] with a gps antenna and static port connected to it maybe we could use it in soaring as a datalogger for contests, badges, and records![/wishful thinking]

I suspect Chip's problem was also G related. I wouldn't hesitate to bring an Ipod on any of my cross countries. It's very rare that I get above 6500 MSL.

Yeah, but the Fury is very similar to the Siai Marchetti SF260 - It's a fast cross-country bird that also happens to be aerobatic. Play some tricks, iPod goes boom.

I already contacted them and suggested they consider the nano instead, unless they know about a flash-based full-size iPod that we don't...

yes cool Ken, I guess i should have mentioned that maybe it wouldnt cost much, like way less than the current 1000 dollar dataloggers...

Back