iPhone Speakerphone Mystery

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
Sometimes when I receive a call on my iPhone, I can't get to the page that has the icon to switch to speakerphone mode. Instead, I just see the keypad. Sometimes there is a "hide" option on the keypad page, which allows me to get to the page with the speaker icon, but sometimes I just see the keypad without the "hide" option displayed. Any ideas?

I have to answer the call first
ios 16.3.1
(Is yours current?)
I'm talking about what happens after I answer the call.
It's iOS 15.7.3, which is the latest version that's available for my iPhone 7.

I received two calls today. During the first call, the options screen that has the speaker icon was displayed, so I was able to switch to speakerphone mode. During the second call, the telephone keypad screen was displayed, and the "hide" option was not displayed, so I couldn't get to the screen that has the speaker icon.

I've now done some experimentation by calling my iPhone from my landline several times, and I may have it figured out.

I was not using the iPhone when the first call came in, and in that circumstance, when I use the slider to accept the call, it takes me to the screen that has the speaker icon (among others).

I think I was using the iPhone on another app when the second call came in, and after I answered the call, I tried to get to the speaker icon by tapping the phone icon. That takes me to the keypad with no "hide" option, and thus no way to get to the speaker icon. If, instead of tapping the phone icon, I tap the green bar at the top of the screen, that takes me directly to the screen that has the speaker icon.

I wish the available documentation was better at explaining this stuff.

Edit: I see you figured it out ...

I've now done some experimentation by calling my iPhone from my landline several times, and I may have it figured out.

I was not using the iPhone when the first call came in, and in that circumstance, when I use the slider to accept the call, it takes me to the screen that has the speaker icon (among others).

I think I was using the iPhone on another app when the second call came in, and after I answered the call, I tried to get to the speaker icon by tapping the phone icon. That takes me to the keypad with no "hide" option, and thus no way to get to the speaker icon. If, instead of tapping the phone icon, I tap the green bar at the top of the screen, that takes me directly to the screen that has the speaker icon.

I wish the available documentation was better at explaining this stuff.

missing that PalmPre now aren’t you?

Is there documentation of the iPhone features? I’ve only seen bloggers/articles on it, nothing Apple provided.

Somewhere I found an iPhone user guide, but it wasn't much help.

Back